South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #1  

Default My Grocery Shopping Experience!

I hope no one is offended by this post but I'm wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen to them. Since DH and I are semi-retired we usually shop the bargins in the weekly store ads. Most of the groceries had been bought but Winn-Dixie had mushrooms,cottage cheese, 2 for 1 bagged salad, etc. on sale. Ahead of us in the checkout aisle was the nicest lady. She was telling the clerk how she'd love to get some ice cream to put in her root beer but it always melted before she got it home. I scanned her purchases as
I waited in line. She had Doretos, candy, reg. soda and various other bad choices. I am a large lady and have about 72 lbs. to goal ( it was 100! ) but she was larger yet. As she struggled to leave our eyes met and I had the strangest sensation! I wanted to follow her to the parking lot and tell her about SBD. I wanted her to be healthy and for her to know how much better life gets when the program starts to kick in!
I know- I was there not so long ago--the pleasant lady who figured she'd never make it through another "diet" so it didn't matter anymore! I didn't want her to get away--but she did and I felt so sad. I'm not looking DOWN on people
who should "get healthy" but I just wish there was some way we could shout it from the rooftops how great the program
makes us feel! Has anyone else ever felt something similar?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Cindy, I DO know how you feel, but I try not to say anything.
I remember all too well what it was like to have people tell me that I should try "this diet", or "this exercise program". I think it's something we all have to arrive at in our own time.

You're right about that woman, of course. On the other hand, she could suffer from depression, and you might just be sending her home to a suicide attempt (that would be me ).
You COULD get a T-shirt that says something like, "I've lost 20 pounds on the SBD! Ask me about it!"

A friend was over today who knows about the diet I'm on. She's hypo-glycemic, and I know she'd benefit from the diet. I've offered to loan her the book, but that's the most I'll do. I don't want to pressure anyone.
On the other hand, my Dad was so impressed with my weight loss that he HAS borrowed my book. He's really enjoying the diet. He has an entire 5 pounds to lose.

You know, I think the diet is becoming so popular (because it's successful!) that almost EVERYONE will soon know about it! I'm seeing articles on it in more and more magazines.

And congratulations on your weight loss! You're doing so well!!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:46 PM   #3  

I have felt the same way, but you just never know how people will take what you say. I have a cousin and aunt who started WW again today, and I almost feel sorry for them counting points and writing everything down. NOT that I'm knocking WW, I've done it, and it's a great healthy program, I'm just so amazed at how much easier this is, and I LOVE not having to take my point thingy everywhere I go and so forth. Anyway, we were all sitting around my aunt's pool this afternoon, and they were discussing how many points they could have for dinner, and I told them about this. I think they're gonna try it too. They couldn't believe how much freedom we have!!!!!! I LOVE SBD!!!!!!!
Closed Thread