Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #1  

Default observations during grocery shopping...

Does anyone else peek in other people's carts while grocery shopping? Come on, I can't be the only one!

Anyway, even when I'm not "on plan" the food in our house is pretty healthy. We just don't keep a ton of junk food at any time.

However, I've noticed a lot of thin people have a ton of junk/crappy food in their carts-how do they stay thin eating this stuff? Do they actually stick to the one tiny serving size on the package? I remember one time a woman in front of me at the checkout (who was probably a size two or four) had marshmallows, candy, soda and chips....I had chicken, yogurt, fruit and veggies and cottage cheese.

Sorry to ramble-I just get frustrated seeing thin people buying totally unhealthy food-stuff that's never even been in our home-and they stay thin while eating it! Okay, that doesn't mean they're healthy, though.

Thanks for listening-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #2  

Speaking as a former thin person (Boy, do I miss "her"!!) - I used to buy the junk -- Ben and Jerry's ice cream, chips, dip, etc. but that was my meals -- while I was thin I'm sure my health wasn't at its best -- I usually had one meal a day which consisted of maybe a pint of ice cream or a trip to McDonald's -- however, I also lived alone and had time to walk about 6 miles a day -- which of course with two kids I can't do now.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #3  

Shelby,

I just noticed we had the same starting weight, are at about the same weight (though I didn't weigh in this week) and I'm one inch shorter than you-how funny! We also have the same goal!

Thanks for your answer!

I never ate fast food very much, even at my heaviest. I just don't like it much except for Wendy's chicken sandwich/fries. I haven't had McDonalds since 1989. I do love ice cream, though! We never buy half gallons, though, only pints.

Your kids are adorable!

Sherry
Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #4  

Sherry -- So can we share clothes when we are both thin -- I doubt the height difference will affect our size 10 pants, right??? Thanks for the comment about the kids -- they do seem much cuter in a picture, because there you can't hear them annoying each other

Can't have ice cream here -- makes me crazy until I've inhaled it all!! We went to McDonald's today because my goofy husband let the kids pick lunch -- I must be doing something right, I had a grilled chicken sandwich and fries -- and felt horribly grossed out all afternoon from it! There is nothing "good" about fast food!!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #5  

I know how you feel. There is this darling girl I go to school with who goes to 7-11 every morning and returns with a sack sull of ****! everything from doughnut, chips, soda, all sorts of candy. She is TINY!
Sometimes it is hard not to resent these cute little things, but then you think about what they are doing to their inside, and their outsides.
We are going to school for esthetics (skin care) and we learn, as well as most of you here know, that what you put in your body affects your skin. After all it is our largest organ.
moxiegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #6  

Strange, All three of us are the same starting weight. You guys are kicking my butt though. I am at 13 lbs since April 9th.
moxiegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #7  

Moxiegirl78 -- You are doing great -- I lost the first 10 last year!! (I actually lost 30 but found 20 of it for a while!!). Maybe we are long-lost triplets??

I've decided to ignore the skinny people around me -- I can either feel like it's not fair that they can eat what ever they want and dwell on that or use that energy to improve myself.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

You know, I read an interesting article a couple of weeks ago about how people can be thin outside and 'fat' inside - the headline grabbed my attention in a kind of 'Oh, Come ON!' way, so I read it. It was basically about how dangerously SOME (not many, I'd bet!) 'thin' people eat - eating junk, but not enough of it to actually gain weight - but it raises the level of fat in their bodies (arteries? organs?) to a dangerous level.

I found it a fascinating thought. As a result, the doctor being interviewed moved obesity down the list of risk factors for heart attacks to follow behind smoking and alcohol abuse. Of course, we still don't want to use that as an excuse to be obese, now, do we?

Just thought I'd pass that on.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Shelby, when I was thin, in H.S. I would eat one meal a day, it could be a bag of doritos( big bag), or some chinese food, but I had the energy to eat it off. I think the people who are thin and able to eat this stuff, either are single, or lucky with great metabolism.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #10  

Moxiegirl,

Don't feel badly-see my start date at this website-January 2002! I did nothing that year, lost sixty pounds in in 2003 and got down to 196, went through major depression/anxiety, and gained it all back except for fifteen pounds. I'm definitely in the slow lane for losing weight. At least I didn't gain it all back.

Shelby-I hate pants shopping! I wonder if it will get easier. I'm a classic pear shaped-tiny waist , larger hips/thighs so it is so difficult to find pants that fit.

I had read a similar article-it's called visceral fat-it's on your organs and is very dangerous to your health.

Take care,
Sherry
Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #11  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Gee, I could go on at length about 2 different sides of this: the 1st, being philosophical about our "different response" to food, the 2nd, a couple personal incidents shedding light on a "hidden side" of diet & internal fat. I know I'm wordy, but I'll keep it short as I can!

A recent news item was about a "thrifty gene" that as many as a quarter of us have, predisposing us to weight gain. I think it's about appetite regulation, but the big thing is that people with lots of N. Europe ancestry typically have it. Oversimplifying, those of us whose ancestors either survived an ice age, or belonged to a culture which admired very generous curves (check out stone-age "venus" figurines), have inherited this adaptation.... For untold millennia, our forebears fervently wished this on their children (us); we'd look very beautiful to them, AND survive most any famine! (- something to remember, as we beat ourselves up!)

A friend of mine had a congenital heart valve malformation, and knew from family history he'd face surgery mid-life or sooner. He's a computer geek, never very athletic (duh), and knowing the odds he stuck to a high-fibre, low-fat diet ALL his adult life. A couple yrs ago when surgery came due, his blood-work stats were off-the-chart perfect. The cardiologist, used to universal junk-food addiction in otherwise skinny-looking people, swore he hadn't seen stats like my friend's in decades! And of course surgery went VERY well (-they were able to make an auto-graft from his own healthy tissues, rather than install the expected replacement)!

And yours truly also got a full cardio workup (because of intermittent mild chest pain), early '06, including ANGIOGRAM! 3+ yrs ago, I lost my excess weight nearly to goal, and had since gained most back, while eating high-fibre, low-fat; but I had just too much of the "good carbs"! Not many medical staff believed me until the angio; right after, the cardio nurses gave me high-fives and kept telling me they wished they could be sure their "pipes" were as clear as mine! (They often eat in a rush out of snack machines.) I only had a tiny amount of restriction (20% in one outer cardiac artery), which teaches me to continue eating healthy, but not to take too much for granted!

So, gals - at least our blood systems directly reflect our commitments to healthy eating (not to mention vital organs, joints, hormone levels, and most other systems). We'll live so much better as we get older, because we KNOW we have to stick with a healthy lifestyle. It's OUR good luck that we know the results of "cheating"! Also, society's opinions change with the times, and our genetic heritage may even reflect that. If (Heaven forbid! but history is full of these) there's ever a long-standing downturn or massive hardship, our continuing survival & healthy function may win back the respect we've long deserved. And our generous curves may well reset the standard of beauty!
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #12  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

When I see the skinny people with the junk in their baskets, it reminds me of my eldest son. He was "one of those". Ate constantly and everything and was underweight most of his life. But guess what, the closer he gets to his 40th birthday, the more heavy he is getting. Now he's getting real with his eating & exercise. He know there is diabetes in both sides of his family, and he knows what it can do to you. He's a smart guy (gets it from his mom).

The other thing I think of when I see the thins with baskets loaded with junk, is about how I stayed thin when I was younger. Binging & purging. So we never know what's going on there.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

My cart contained this the last time I went shopping:

Kale
Rainbow chard
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Red onions
Sweet potatoes
Garlic
Carrots
Mixed baby greens (salad mix)
Cucumbers
Red bell peppers
Spinach
Sunflower seed sprouts
Grape tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Pineapple
Watermelon
Strawberries
Apples
Lemons
Almond butter
Sprouted grains English muffins (flourless)
Lentils
Tofu
Veggie slices

Is this how I eat even when I am not on plan? Yes! The difference? I eat more starches, some vegan cookies, more oils and rich foods, cereal (oat bran, Wheatabix and so on) and soy milk when I am not on plan.

Go figure!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Well, I do check out other people's shopping carts occasionally, but a little differently than you describe. First off, let me say that Mississippi has more overweight/obese people than any other state in the US, and if the US has more overweight/obese people than any other country, I guess that makes us Mississippians the fattest people on earth. When I glance around, I usually notice all the junk food in the buggy and it is usually being pushed by someone like me, someone overweight or obese. I just wish I could bottle some of the motivation I've had over the last couple of years and slip it (along with all of the knowledge about weight loss that is floating around 3FC) into their carts filled with soda, chips, chicken nuggets, pizza, etc.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I never really notice much before I got the disapproving glares from a woman in front of my husband and I in line a few years ago. It actually was kind of funny. We were going to a friend's cookout and we were asked to bring the chips and our own beverage. Since it was a HUGE party, we had maybe six bags of assorted chips and a case of diet soda.

It was funny, because I've never been much for junk food or fast food. I won't say my diet has always been perfectly healthy, as even whole natural foods can contain too much fat and starch/sugar, but I've always eaten my share (and then some) of vegetables and fruit. Large portions and too little exercise has been the bigger downfall for me. Which is why I get so annoyed when even doctors will tell me that all I have to do is cut out sweets, snack foods, and desserts.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote