Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 08:21 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Week of July 21, 2003

Good morning everyone!

It's a rainy, dreary morning here in PA. Good day to stay inside and curl up with a book...too bad I can't do that!

It's the Monday of our last summer orientation...I'm doing the happy dance this morning! I'm hoping the program goes along without any major problems/snags.

The weekend went by at warp speed as it always does. Saturday evening I walked in the Cancer Society's Relay for Life and it was very touching. I had never been there for the luminaria lighting ceremony and to be honest there wasn't a dry eye in the stadium. Sunday was spent at a WW meeting. The food was good this time--the chef at the hotel where the meeting was held is on WW and he made WW food! What a treat that was! I'd love to get my hands on the recipe for the stuffed portabello mushrooms that he served.

Not too much else happening around here...I'm anxious to get things done this week, although I bet the end of the week will drag since I'm looking forward to vacation.

Did everyone have a good weekend??
Old 07-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #2  

Hi Melissa.

I had a pretty good weekend. We went out for dinner with friends on Friday night and had a few good laughs. Finally got out for a run on Saturday morning. I've lost some ground (no pun intended) but I think I can make it up quickly if I just stick to a more regular schedule. We managed another run before work this morning, so I feel pretty good right now.

Dad got started on the medication over the weekend. So far, so good, but it's early I know. I pray he won't be too ill.

This week will be routine, but I'm starting to get excited about vacation too. I'm off for the month of August, and we leave for Austria on the 3rd. Haven't had much time to think about it with Dad's situation, but we started to talk about things we want to do etc. on the weekend, and the anticipation is starting to build.

Domina, lala, how are you?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 AM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

Melissa: How great that the chef was WW; mmm stuffed mushrooms. Good on you for doing the Relay.

Susan: I am so envious that you are going to Austria. Ihope you enjoy it. I'm glad your dad is getting his treatment.

On Saturday, I worked the rummage sale. That was kind of fun. Later I golfed 9 holes and it went poorly, but I'm a beginner. I'll keep plugging.

I need to get a handle on my inhaling sweets. There's a secretary here who puts Hershey's Miniatures in a bowl on her desk. I keep grabbing them. I gained a pound this week--not good.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:09 PM   #4  

MelissaL, you're real lucky that your WW meeting had WW food!

We're having a meeting this Saturday, and I can guarantee you that it will be typical hotel catering food. I was aghast the first year I went to the WW Christmas party out here. The dessert table was bigger than the rest of the buffet!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #5  

Good morning. It's so foggy here this morning I can barely see the building on the other side of the street. Hopefully it will burn off by lunchtime as is generally the case.

Melissa: How forward-thinking of your organization to have healthy food served at your meeting. Seems like a no-brainer, but it rarely happens.

Hi scoutuns. Are you a WW employee too?

Domina: Candy at the office is the worst. I used to work in an office where there was always something on the receptionist's desk - candy, cookies, often cake. I had to stay away from it completely - if I allowed myself one piece, I usually ended up going for broke Many of the people in that office were grossly overweight too; I don't know if they ever made the connection...

I hope to weigh in on Friday (I'm off that day). On my home scales, I'm down about 5, so I should be back within 2 lbs of goal. I'll still have to pay the missed month fee, but for some strange reason I don't mind that as much.

Maintenance will be a challenge on vacation. My only salvation will be lots of exercise - hiking, biking, walking and running. DH surprised the heck out of me the other day when he said he would run with me while we're away. He doesn't like running, so this should be interesting.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:22 AM   #6  

Well, we're quite soggy here and more rain is expected the next 2 days...some areas had over 6" of rain...luckily we had about 2 but it sure created some problems with underpasses, etc.

Scoutruns: This was a first and there were a lot of positive comments from others about how nice it was to have great food and low points! I'm hoping that they get the hint and continue to offer foods like this at our big meetings.

Domina: I struggle with tortilla chips and I've got a bag at home that's got to go! Candy, cookies, etc. aren't a big challenge for me since I crave more salty/crunch/fried type foods. I do admit though if there is a bag of M&M's or Hershey Kisses that it's easy to pop them in your mouth and not realize how many points you're ingesting.

Susan: Vacations are a challenge for me as well. I'm usually not on any kind of schedule and my eating gets out of whack. I should be able to get out and do some walking with my cousin and hopefully get a lot in while in Toronto. Hope your WI on Friday is a good one!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:46 PM   #7  

Yep, I work for WW, too.

I hope you're right, Melissa. I've always thought that our staff meetings and get togethers were a great opportunity to show restaurants/catering businesses that there is, in fact, a desire out there to eat healthy.

If we don't request a light meal, how will anyone ever know that deep down that's what we're dying for to make life simpler??
Old 07-22-2003, 09:18 PM   #8  
si, si signora

Hi everyone and a special welcome to scoutruns. My folks live near SD, so I'm down there quite a bit.

Nothing doing here, I am exhausted due to an incredibly stupid thing I did last night -- flew a transcon - sea-jfk for no good reason. Suffice it to say, the voucher I received for volunteering to be rerouted does not make up for my death march I am feeling now.

however, i did manage to get a bunch of work done from jfk-stl, so that was good, the sprint from d18 to c27 in five minutes to make my connection was not good.

Susan-- sounds like you are getting a little relief. I have yet to go to Austria, sounds very nice. Do you like waltzes?

Melissa-- the end is near.

Domina -- I am glad you are still golfing. Did you find anything good at the rummage sale?

Nothing doing here, trying to catch up and staying out of the heat.

Last night was insalata caprese, tonight I'm thinking a smoothie or some coleslaw. I can't stand the thought of cooking.

lala
Old 07-23-2003, 08:11 AM   #9  

Hi everyone. Stifling humidity here this morning. We need a good thunderstorm.

lala: Sounds like a gruelling flight. Nope - not particularly into waltzes, we just like the mountains. Hope my knees hold out this time.

scoutruns: I'm finding it easier to eat well in restaurants these days. Don't know if that's a change in what they're offering or a change in me. How long have you been with WW?

Domina: How goes the battle with the candy?

Melissa: Have a great time in Toronto. If we weren't heading to Europe, we'd be there in a flash this year. Lots of good deals to be had as they try to recover from the SARS outbreak.

My father is into Day 5 of the chemo and so far so good. I'm gonna scoot to New Brunswick on the weekend to see them since I won't be around for the next month.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:56 AM   #10  

Good morning all!

Scoutruns: Welcome to our "group"! You would think that restaurants would catch on that there are people out there that just don't want to eat the large quantities of food and actually look for healthy dishes. Enjoy the staff meeting! I came away feeling energized. There's a lot to take in.

Susan: We've had 2 days of rain and we've had some bad flooding in areas and there's more rain in the forecast for today. My walking has been nonexistent and I'm feeling the effects. We're looking forward to our trip to Toronto. You're right about the good deals. Only 3 more days of work. I've gotten quite a bit done and so the next couple of days will be spent tying up loose ends.

Lala: Hope you get some rest! I've done the sprints between gates in Pittsburgh and it's not fun.

I'm finally in the homestretch with work and parties. I need to get serious with my eating and exercise. I've been terrible in getting in my daily walks and need to focus on it. The tortilla chips are out of the house and I'm not planning on purchasing them in the near future--they're just too much of a temptation for me.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:27 AM   #11  

Height: 6'0"

Scoutruns: Welcome to our group.

Melissa: Oh, another red light food--I just love tortilla chips although lately I've been buying the baked ones because they're less points.

Lala: Isn't that how it goes; if you have all the time in the world, your gate is the next one over. You must be totally exhausted.
I don't know what it is about me and smoothies, I just never got into them. Smoothie places are springing up all over this area. Maybe I've never had a good one!! I did find some items at the rummage sale: a sun visor (for golf), a computer keyboard (ergonomic), a silk sleeveless turtleneck top, a pair of "I Love Golf" socks--all for $1.00!!

I'm still playing golf; it's fun, but challenging.

Susan: I'm glad your father is doing all right. A friend of mine is going through chemo and is sicker than a dog for three days after each treatment. He is responding though which is good. Good report about the candy dish. I have stayed away from it this week; I haven't eaten one piece.

I'm not sure I ever told you about WW and me being a receptionist. Well, I was told that I had the right attitude and enthusiasm to work for WW. Months went on and I was never told anything else. I kept asking and was told that they weren't hiring. Then I heard they were hiring, so I asked again. Well, our regional person said she does not want people who have full-time jobs already. So...that leaves me out.

It's been super hot here and very stormy. We had an electrical storm on Monday night that scared the you-know-what out of me. Last night I spoke to my M-I-L in Ohio and she said they had a tornado on Monday.

How's everyone?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #12  

Thanks for the welcomes all of you!

I've been working with WW since October of 1997, and I got on staff shortly after I reached lifetime (August of that year). So when I weigh in for next month, I'll be celebrating 6 years at goal!

It's not always easy. Hence my presence here.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 PM   #13  

Today's weather has shaped up nicely...it's a breezy 72. The forecast is calling for thunderstorms later but hopefully it's not going to materialize.

I managed to get out for a 20-minute walk this morning before work. I need to work on this more.

Domina: I find that I'm better off not having the tortilla chips at all because it's way too easy for me to munch away on them without even thinking. Here we're looking for receptionists and most work other jobs. Maybe they're looking for someone to work days in your area.

Scoutruns: Congrats on your anniversary! I've been LT since '99 and can totally relate about the ups and downs. I've been working at our center for 2 years now and find it really helps me to keep focused. The group here is great and we're able to share our frustrations and celebrate our victories.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #14  
si, si signora

Hiya everyone,

Its beautiful here today, much cooler. We're going to see Suzanne Vega tonight at the zoo. I am soo excited.

Melissa -- I loved Toronto. I wish we could go again this year. They could use our greenbacks and its such a cool city. We were in Vancouver this weekend, I forgot how much I love Canada.

Susan -- I was kidding about the waltzes. I figured you were planning some hiking. Glad to hear dad is doing okay on chemo. I hope you have a good visit in New Brunswick.

Domina -- I made my smoothie at home with frozen strawberries, some ultraslimfast and milk. It truly hit the spot, those other smoothie places frighten me. One of those big smoothies has like 900 calories.

Good on the rummage sale finds.

Scoutruns -- Please join into the fray!

Okay, nothing much doing here but deadlines. Skipped the gym this am, so I'm going at lunch. I am going to DC next monday (oy) and have to be done with all this stuff before I get on that plane.

lala
Old 07-24-2003, 10:03 AM   #15  

We're getting a spattering of rain here this morning but not enough to take the humidity out of the air . My sister and I got out for a run this morning, and I swear I didn't stop perspiring for a good half hour after my shower. I'm not even bothering to dry my hair - it's absolutely out of control and I've given up.

lala: My only experience with smoothies was in Hawaii. One of the people we were with - a marvelous cook - made them with mixed frozen fruit, margarita mix, coconut milk and rum. They were delicious and filling - kinda like a meal replacement

Domina: Good for you for taking up golf. I think it would be a good passtime in the summer, provided it didn't get too out of hand and take up all of your time. I tried it years ago, but it frustrates me to no end - I'm terrible.

scoutruns: I made goal for the second time in December 1999 and you're so right. It isn't easy, and this forum helps a lot with staying on track. Just knowing other people face the same challenges, disappointments etc. keeps me sane (well, kinda..)

Melissa: Did you get the thunderstorms? We were really hoping for some last nite but they didn't happen even though the humidity was 97 percent or something like that. DH and I both love violent weather - not the kind that takes lives and does property damage, of course. A 14-year-old from Maine was struck and killed by lightning in New Brunswick on the weekend. It was so sad; she was taking part in a soccer tournament.

We're having a few friends over for drinks and munchies tonite. We've been away so much this year that we just never see people anymore. Then it's off to NB tomorrow to see our parents. Have a good weekend folks (I'm off tomorrow).
Closed Thread