Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #1  

Default Loose skin

I lost 110 lbs 7 years ago after being heavy my whole adult life (I was 250lbs when I started losing). It's great being in smaller clothing and it's wonderful for my joints...I have bad knees and a bad back.

However....no one tells you about the loose skin. It's awful. Maybe it's because I was in my mid 40s when I lost the weight. But I carry around big sandbags in my legs, one around my waist, breasts dropped a lot and my face...I always looked much younger, especially in my face and had no wrinkles in my mid 40s but the loose skin caused wrinkles that have gotten much worse. All of it has gotten a lot worse. And building the muscles doesn't help.

I can't find any information on this. Apparently, losing a lot of weight is only for people who have the money for all of the very expensive cosmetic surgery. It's discouraging.

Is there anything else that can work?
dreemsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #2  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

I just want you to know you are describing me as well. I am now forty, I have lost about 100 lbs. However, after doing so I was still embarrassed by my appearance, I was still hateful towards my body. I felt I lost all of this weight and I still want to hide my body? I still cringed when my husband reached to touch me because I now had excess skin. It was so bad I could tuck it under myself in bed.

When I walked the skin or apron around my waist flapped. I had to keep this apron area very clean, using powder daily, and admit I even applied antiperspirant to the area. I developed rashes in the summer months, zipped it into clothes..I was so depressed looking at it. The apron was the most disgusting thing I had. I still wasn't happy with the skin that hangs from under my arms, or the incredibly saggy breasts, but that apron of skin that was almost 10 lbs..killed me inside emotionally.

I went to several drs who said that yes that apron did cause back problems, yes I got skin infections, and yest it got in the way of my quality of life, but they and my insurance company told me that removal of it covered by insurance is dicey. I learned that if I had gone to a dr and got weight loss surgery, some insurances cover this, and then they will cover the removal of skin afterwards. I was devastated to learn this, I felt after two years of losing weight that I was slapped in the face. I lost this weight on my own and now I couldn't get my insurance to help me with something that was a medical condition.?? I made myself healthier by losing weight, getting off high blood pressure meds and meds for type two diabetes.

It isn't fair, and you are right as far as surgery. It is expensive. I had drs see me and tell me point blank that no amount of exercise would remove that apron of skin. It would have to come off surgically, nothing else would make it go away, no amount of exercise etc.

I know that there are a couple different procedures that are offered for people that have lost weight..a full body lift, a tummy tuck, and then there is also a surgery that will just remove the excess skin. I couldn't get my insurance to approve the surgery (any of them) no matter how many appeals and dr notes...I ended up having to pay to have my abdomen fixed. I didn't get all the skin removed, or fix everything on my body I wanted fixed. I couldn't afford it. I just dealt with the worst area. I still ended up paying a lot of money..money I only had due to a settlement I received from a car accident.

I don't understand why insurance can not pay for some of these surgeries. We are in the long run saving them money by taking care of ourselves. Yet, they will pay for other things. It makes no sense. I was told by the surgeon who did my surgery sometimes finding a dr who specializes in weight loss will give you a better chance at getting this surgery covered, skin removal. Wish I had better advice.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am sorry that you are having this issue. I also have loose skin. While I certainly don't like it, it is better than the skin full of fat.

Skin will adjust somewhat. The skin on my face has tightened some. I know that it makes me look older but I feel younger. I even put that in my signature line. I feel so much better that I just have to take the loose skin as a trade off.

That said, I am saving for a brachioplasty because my upper arms bother me the most and I think that I can manage to pay for that as opposed to a body lift.

We talk about loose skin alot here at 3FC. There is a thread that you might want to look at - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

More of it is genetics than age. I have fairly inelastic skin, unfortunately, and even at my age (27) I have lots of looseness, wrinkles, stretchmarks, etc.

The thing is - so what? I'm healthier, and my skin isn't going to look like I've never had babies or been 100 pounds heavier. Why on earth would I expect it to?

Diet and time help. Strength training and weight stability help. But nothing helps more than realistic expectations of a post weight loss body. The surgeries have their own issues, including scarring and the cost. Provided your skin isn't causing health issues, I'd be focused on body acceptance and invest in good foundation garments, since medically addressing it isn't an option. I get it - I'm there too! But you must make the best of it, because there aren't a lot of options. There is just more to life than looking good naked
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

You are not alone in the loose skin department. I hate it, too. I know I will never look the way I want to look and I really struggle with it. I won't ever be able to afford surgery, not even financing it. I just have zero funds.

I just tell myself that at least I look a heck of a lot better in clothes than I did when I was heavier!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #6  

Well, I lost 200 pounds and my skin has some loose spots but I'm healthy. We can't abuse our bodies and think we can make everything okay.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote