Old 10-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #1  

Default How Do You Know What To Try

Hi,

I have tried SB and WW, SB worked for me 6 years ago but this time around, it isn't having the same impact, and with WW, I lost 12 lbs. and it came back in a blink of an eye.

I am 57 going on 58, shortly and this is such a hard time for me and my body is not being user friendly.

Why can't someone tell me what will work for me, what one thing will really give me some results so I get excited and stay with it. Even if I watch my carbs, I don't see the results like I use to. I think my body is worried at this age that I am going to cut out food all together. (not a bad idea)

I just recently read, that going on SB and WW isn't the best idea, you just need to learn to limit. And exercise.

Is there somewhere on the internet that would help me create an exercise plan - rather than a trainer?

I look at myself at this age, and I am exactly where I do not want to be. Anyone else feel like this or may have been in this same place?
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

Regardless of which plan you choose, it has to be maintainable after you've reached your goal. A lot of people deny themselves during the weight loss period and then when they've reached goal, they eat everything they couldn't have before. It really is about making a life style change, swapping one food for another and saying no sometimes and realising that there will be some foods we just will never be able to eat. That's a good idea you have about making your own individual plan, cos we are all individual, we all lose and gain differently and what works for one won't work for another. I did stumble across some templates on the internet where you can make your own plan, perhaps google weight loss templates etc. Good luck and keep us posted as to your results.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
Hi,

I have tried SB and WW, SB worked for me 6 years ago but this time around, it isn't having the same impact, and with WW, I lost 12 lbs. and it came back in a blink of an eye.

I am 57 going on 58, shortly and this is such a hard time for me and my body is not being user friendly.

Why can't someone tell me what will work for me, what one thing will really give me some results so I get excited and stay with it. Even if I watch my carbs, I don't see the results like I use to. I think my body is worried at this age that I am going to cut out food all together. (not a bad idea)

I just recently read, that going on SB and WW isn't the best idea, you just need to learn to limit. And exercise.

Is there somewhere on the internet that would help me create an exercise plan - rather than a trainer?

I look at myself at this age, and I am exactly where I do not want to be. Anyone else feel like this or may have been in this same place?

Chickadee - I have the same problem as you do. Like Happybug said, it is best to choose a plan that you can stick with long term. I eat pretty healthy, but I eat too much. I am now trying Intuitive Eating, where you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied, not stuffed. My body is used to me eating until I am stuff and I am trying to change that. I am not eating between meals, so I will feel hungry at the next meal. Recognizing true hunger rather than cravings is key. I don't do well when I have to give up foods I like, so I'm trying to plan my meals around my favorite foods but keep my portions small. You can make your own plan, based on the foods you like, as long as that doesn't include a lot of sweets and snack foods. If sweets are something you like, have a small portion, and figure it into your food plan so it won't feel like you're cheating. For exercise, do something you enjoy so you won't get bored and quit. For me, I have a treadmill and elliptical and I use them while watching my soaps. Going to watch them anyway, might as well be exercising while I watch. I also do some light weight workouts twice a week to tone my muscles. The only problem with that is you should have someone to show you proper form so you don't get an injury. Maybe you would like to do an exercise video. You can look them up online and read the reviews others have given and see how they rated it. Usually, if someone buys something and doesn't like it they will get online and list their complaints. Sometimes you can buy them used at Goodwill or Thrift Stores. Also, if there are any exercise classes in your area, that might be to your liking. Some people do better when they are exercising with other people.

Hopefully some others will chime in and give you more ideas. Remember, each of us is different, so what works for someone else might not work for you. We are all struggling. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #4  

Have you tried myfitnesspal.com ? It's the best tool out there and it's free! After yet another disastrous diet-trial, I'm using it now. The only reason I stopped was because I had surgery. Then, of course, I wanted to lose much faster, so tried IP. It can't possibly be healthy, & I'm almost symptom-free (because there are tons)
riobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/158/130

Height: 5'4"

Chickadee- Ditto on whatever you are able to stick with when I comes to a plan. I just wanted to lose and keep it off after 25 years of yo - yo dieting. Tried IP in July of this year, so far have lost about 35 lbs, not as fast as the program wanted but it works for me. Have taken a three week vacation and lost 2.2 lbs. Went off slightly over Thanksgiving and did not gain weigh, back on phase one for the last 25 lbs and may take me til April. Oh well, it's working, my doctor is amazed at my blood work and blood pressure. I gave her all the information and paperwork she was not able to find any fault with the protocol for me, so here I go for the rest of the journey. Being 58 has presented it's issues with weight but I am happy. Along with the program I walk 3 miles a day everyother day and do yoga on occasion. Keep up your journey, you will get there. I truly almost gave up and stumbled upon a program that worked for me.

Last edited by MamaMook; 12-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
MamaMook is offline   Reply With Quote