Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default LWL #108 Week of June 23 - 29

hi all, starting the thread. more later
Old 06-23-2003, 03:02 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Where's your journal?

Good things in Life:
Being able to dance.
Feeling strong.
Learning that my dog Keiko will chase the water from the hose and bite at it.
Sleeping!
The Ocean.
Being able to laugh at myself.

Those are my good things. >>>HUG<<<< I hope whatever is going wrong gets better for you.

This weekend was a ton of fun. I saw Matrix Reloaded for the first time (I know, a bit tardy aren't I?). Gawd, I want Trinity's body. Could she be a bigger babe?

I also finally have a living room after my move. I can actually see the floor and everything. Feels good to finally get it done.

On my free day, I made Cincinnati Chili. I'm originally from Cincy so I was missing it. Has anyone ever had it? It's not like chili at all, kinda sweet. It has cinnamon and cocoa in it.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:36 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Jess - just hit the button under Deb's name that sez "journal" and you'll be sent to her journal page...

Tiki - thanks for starting this week's thread! I'm buried under a huge mountain of work here...for yet another meeting. However, starting on Friday I'm off until Monday 7 July! Yay! (of course I'm not GOING anywhere - probably spend a lot of time at the gym and the stables...)

Cincinnati Chili - with cocoa and cinnamon? Kind of sounds like a 'mole' - you know, Mexican type food with chocolate in it (BTW I must recommend the book AND the film "Like Water for Chocolate" if you haven't already read/seen it - one of the few films that captures the essence of the novel PERFECTLY).

Gotta run - more crap to do!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #4  

Hey all

Just sitting here at work....yipee!!

Deb, keep your chin up......something will come along!!

Cincy chili is yummy Different that is for sure though!!

Still trying to figure things out on my end. Got some good information over the weekend and am going to dig a bit further into what will work for me in my battle to lose fat. In the meanwhile I will keep doing what I am doing.

Happy Monday all!

Robin
Old 06-23-2003, 04:06 PM   #5  

Deb, I'm sorry to hear about the job.

I hope the Employment Agency DOES question it because it sounds like crap. Once I was laid off from a job because they said they had decided to do away with the position. I found out later that the majority of employees in the store (Rite Aid) thought I was too young to be an assistant manager (I was 23) and they didn't like me being in charge (even though I was never bossy, always asked people to do things or most of the time just let them do whatever because they were older and had more experience). The cashier who worked M-F all day had been there 20 years and said I had no business, as a kid, to be in charge of the place. The pharmacist who worked on Sunday and had been there 20 years was upset because I made time and a half on Sunday and basically stood around or just ran the register (there was nothing else to do on Sunday and there had to be a manager in the store). Anyway, they couldn't get rid of me for that, they had to make something up. So they "did away with the position" for 3 mos to cover their asses and then hired an older assistant manager. Jerks. Some people are just so FOS. Why don't they just say what is up????

Anyway, I hope good things come your WAY!!! You have us here!
Vent whenever you want!!!

As for me, I am procrastinating like crazy! A friend of mine sent me info on something called the South Beach Diet (I already posted on the thread we have here at 3fc) because I'm still battling high (bad) cholesterol. It's low carb for the first 2 weeks and then you add good carbs after that. Any thoughts on this?????? (Combo of that food plan and BFL type weight training and cardio?). I'm wondering if I can drink MRPs with this if I stick to low/no carb ones. Hmmmm.

Have a good day all!
Susan
Old 06-23-2003, 04:07 PM   #6  

A really boring Monday here. I am not in a very good mood and my workout is suffering because of it. (I didn't do it today) I am thinking thatI might feel better when i get home and I might pop in a kickboxing video just so I have gotten something in today.

Deb maybe you not getting the job was a sign. Maybe you would have hated it once you started. (i am sure that isn't what you wanted to hear but i hope it makes you feel a little better) ((((Deb)))))
Old 06-23-2003, 04:09 PM   #7  

Hey Susan could you pm me with some info for that? I would love to giove it a once over. It might be something I could try too.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Deb,

I am so sorry about the job. i work in an hr dept and I bet you i can tell you the problem. 1 - they want a person with less education so they can pay them less and 2 - they are probably afraid that after you take the job, you will eventually find something else more suited to your education and then quit, which will leave them trying to fill the position again. I see it here all the time. just keep lookin and don't give up.

susan and kempy - i read about the south beach diet on this prevention dot com site. seems interesting - claims you can lose up to 13 pounds in the first two weeks. I just don't want any of that 13 to be muscle so i will read closer before I make any kind of decision on it.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:09 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

OMG - there I go posting without reading all the posts again...sorry...just BURIED here.

Deb...I'm sorry about that. Don't mean to seem unsympathetic. Something WILL come...I think tiki is right on about the whys and wherefores as far as the education thing is concerned. Don't give up - there's a job out there with your name on it, I'm sure!

Acck. Back to work...
Old 06-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #10  

Karen, thanks for the heads up on the Prevention article. Here is is Kempyd:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...0,5345,00.html

I am concerned about muscle loss as well but it does seem healthier than most low carb diets that I've ever seen and I would be out of phase 1 by the time the height of California fruit season is here (I can't WAIT).
Old 06-23-2003, 06:36 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Thanks Ms. Jim - I totally missed that journal button

Deb - I'm so sorry about the job! Yuck! Worse yet is the Mom factor. I totally can relate.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:17 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Happy Monday Girls!

I had a nice/different weekend.... I spent the Friday and most of the day Saturday at a Yoga Ashram/centre near Val-Morin, QC, in the Lorentian mountains...Here's the link:

http://www.sivananda.org/

It was very interesting to say the least, and you MUST have an open mind....I Did Yoga outside in the mountain fresh air for 2 straight hours, twice, and that was totally awesome... I went to what you call Satsang, which is a half hour of meditation, half hour of Mantra chanting, (which is quite interesting BTW) and then a half hour lecture.... Satsang is done at 6AM upon arising and at 8PM just before retiring, every day.... My SIL took the Teachers Training Course last year, and she had to stay there for a whole month to get her certificate, $3,000 Canadian... for the first two weeks she called home crying almost every night, poor girl... But it was all worth it she is now a certified teacher.... I sometimes wish I would have taken it with her because there is no way I would ever do it alone... It's quite a tough course I guess, and has a 3 hour exam at the end...I don't know how all you girls here, the studious ones, do it, I admire you so much ....

Food wise it wasn't that bad but it was a very high carb weekend because the food is stricly vegetarian, (my SIL is still vegetarian since her stay there last year.... ) and OMG before leaving here my SIL said that we only ate twice/day... 10AM and 6PM.... but you know I didn't feel it at all.... BTW the food was extremely delicious, I was very surprised...

I didn't go to the gym today because I was still in slow motion mode after the weekend... It's amazing how going to a place like that makes you come down to earth and slows you right down... SIL said that after a month last year it took her a week to get her bearings back....and I can now understand why completely...

Anyways, back to the routine tomorrow, bike to the gym and do shoulders... yay...

Later all....

Deb -- see my message in your journal....
Old 06-23-2003, 07:35 PM   #13  
future strong chick

Hello!

Deb, sorry about the job. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. You will find something.

Susan! I can't wait for fruit season either. I bought some figs at the market, but they wern't quite ready yet

Ilene, what a fabulous weekend!!! I love yoga, so to me it sounds like a dream vacation. I hope to one day go on a retreat somwhere. I have seen these week long trips where you go to Hawaii. Everyday is starts out with hiking for 3-4 hours and then do yoga for a few more! Most have massage/spa facilities as well. I just don't want to share a cabin with someone I don;t know. And everyone I do know dosen't think that sort of thing is a vacation

Had a good LBWO this morning. Going to try for chest/tris tomorrow and back/bis/shoulder on wed. hopefully this will be good!

Also, what about beets? are they a vegeatable, carb? I don't know what to do! I roasted up a bunch in a bit of olive oil and Ive been eating them as a carb. I know they have a high sugar content, anyone?

Thanks!

verna
Old 06-23-2003, 11:27 PM   #14  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys,

Deb - I so agree with Tika. Education is a double edged sword in most cases. I am surprised that you didn't discuss salary at the interview?? We are lucky her in Australia if HR are sus about something like too much education they are more likely to ask you straight out why you want the job when you are obviously over-qualified. It gives you a chance to convince them that way.

Chin up ....

JC
Old 06-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #15  

Quick question: when you do weights and cardio on the same day, do you do weights first or cardio? I tend to do weights first but I see everyone else in the gym doing cardio first. I read somewhere once that if you do HIIT after weight training, you burn off the lactic acid faster and that adds to muscle growth. I don't know any reason for doing it the opposite way.
Closed Thread