Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #1  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Default Dieting side effects

I'm sure there are hundreds of known side effects from starting a diet/diet change. However I seem to be battling one in particular for the last week or so. I've experienced a "gastric slow down" so to speak. Now, I admit things have been extraordinarily stressful lately on top of my new and improved diet. So these things probably all contributed to my issue. Normally I'd solve a problem of this nature with a nice large bowl of a fibery cereal. I cannot do that this time due to two things, one: carbs, two: cereal is a huge trigger food for me to overeat like crazy so I'm eschewing it completely. So this time I've decided to try some Phillips MoM. Any thoughts on ironing this issue out when you can't just go eat a bunch of carby fiber to speed things along?

Last edited by MauiKai; 08-17-2013 at 11:16 PM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Water, water, water. Peaches, plums, sweet potatoes, lots of fresh fruit and or veg.

Look up oatmeal/pumpkin recipes. Pumpkin is full of fiber and the oatmeal is not sugary, and also a reasonable source of fiber. A splash of vanilla and some light vanilla soy milk, a little cinnamon will make it tasty.

I make a light coleslaw, with cabbage, fat free mayo, and a bit of Splenda. If you like slaw.

You can add grated zucchini to anything! Plus this time of year, if anyone around you gardens or there is a farmers market, they are cheap! You can great them and freeze it for later.

Dry edible beans, like the ones in beans and ham. You can buy them already cooked in the can. I do rinse them because of the salt. Add a few to salads. They are also a good source of protein.

Basically, lots of your choice of fruit, veg, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, dry edible beans and water.

If you're not exercising, it does help, by getting your metabolism moving. Even just a "brisk" 20 minute walk, get your blood pumping, your heart rate up. Sweat a little.

Hope that helps!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #3  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

It's understandable to stay away from trigger foods - way to go!!
I would definitely recommend drinking more water and reaching for another, non-trigger, high-fibre food to help things along. Possibilities: fruits, veggies, legumes (beans, lentils, peas). I can't emphasize the water enough, though. The role it plays is that it helps to move things along. Without it, the extra fibre might make things uncomfortable.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #4  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I drink LOTS of water, no worries there. I eat plain oatmeal with blueberries with a tsp of peanut butter in it most days, though I occasionally choose scrambled eggs and a slice of dry toast instead. But despite a nice fibery breakfast I've still had this slow down. The Phillips did the trick but I don't want to take it frequently.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #5  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Try fiber tablets or the Fiber Musil dry stuff swirled in water.... that stuff does help and it has helped me (not a very good veggie eater) to not have the Hard dried out waste either... Just a thought
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

If it's a matter of constipation and you're already drinking enough water, the best solutions I've found are more fiber and moving more. I get my fiber through a daily apple (hubby and I call that my poop medicine) another serving of fruit which varies, and a bag of Steamfresh vegetables that always includes some broccoli every day. I tend to be very regular but on the rare occasions that I'm not, I'll hold my nose and dump some Metamucil on the problem for a few days. That generally gets things moving, if you know what I mean.

However, if it's a matter of reduced volume, well, that's just a natural result of eating less. I've been honestly amazed at how much less I...er...produce since I just don't eat near as much as I used to.

Last edited by Garnet2727; 08-18-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Try chia seeds. You can drink a spoonful in a glass of water or cook with them.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #8  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Aw, that sucks. How about adding a tablespoon of whole flax seed to your morning oatmeal?

Have you tried tracking how many grams of fibre you get daily? I wonder if that might also help.

Last edited by belovedspirit; 08-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Senna Tea, you only need a little if you buy loose tea. You can buy a ready made tea bag called Smooth Move, works great & no calories, carbs or sugar!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #10  
Finding Myself Again <3

S/C/G: 230/215/200

Oh my gosh, I am so glad that I'm not the only one. That has always been my number 1 complaint...I love the ideas listed and will look into some of the suggestions myself. It seems in the past, the only thing that has worked for me was a stool softner or laxative, which can be habit forming if used too frequently. :-/

Sorry I'm not more help, but please update if you find any non medical solutions! :-D
tadaponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #11  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Earlier this year I had this problem, but now I take fish oil and have been eating more fruit (mainly blueberries and grapes) and the problem has disappeared (I went to see my doctor for a general checkup and he said to keep taking the fish oil because it helps so many things in your body that it won't hurt.....p.s. I didn't tell him about my "difficulty going" problem)
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I had this problem on my low carb diet. My doctor that is supervising my diet had me add a tablespoon of coconut oil to my diet. She told me to melt the oil and add the tablespoon to my coffee. It sounded gross but wasn't when I finally tried it. It did the trick.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #13  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Also, caffeine helps with peristalsis (gastric moving) so something like coffee or tea with caffeine might help (that is if you can drink it without adding a bunch of calories/carbs/sugar)
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Apparently this is a common problem with people that have lost a lot of weight.

It was made worse for me, because I couldn't poop and then when I went running I couldn't NOT POOP if you get what I'm saying. After one particularly humiliating experience I knew I would have to give up running or do something!

So I saw a nutritionist and we went through everything that can help: drinking coffee, eating fruits and veggies, drinking a ton of water, etc. etc. etc. and I was doing EVERYTHING right.

So after speaking with her and the doctor and reading online, I take Miralax every morning and it has fixed the problem 98%. I don't like to have to take it every day, but it beats the alternative!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #15  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I find that juicing up a lemon or lime and drinking that mixed into water gets things going.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote