General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #1  

Question Opinions on FB post

Ok I have a question. I am looking for honest answers. I'm pretty sure there's no way to insult me by answering...I've been away for a few days and I see a certain thread disappeared!

Anyway this is an exchange on facebook.

I posted that my son call him little Q wanted me to staple some blank pages together to make a book called "fun facts about pancakes"...

Which btw I thought was so cute!!!

Several people posted cute comments like "I'd like to read that book" and "future writer"...

Anyway a women that used to work with my husband (who is morbidly obese) posted 'sounds like something big Q would say jk jk

ok so I'm not saying she's calling him fat. Cause she didn't. My hubby is a friendly guy, but in referring to his personality, it doesn't make any sense, and the job they work at has nothing to do with food. But if she was just commenting on how silly he is, not sure why she would need to say jk jk (just kidding) twice.

I could be waaaaayyyyy over reaching here, but I'm worried hubby will read it and interpret it as a poke at his weight...???

I didn't post anything back and I will not say anything to hubby, so as not to put the thought in his head.

So I just wanted to see if anyone else took it that way...or no....

And please can this thread not get out of hand, I would really like to hear people's opinions, since I will not be talking to hubby about it,,,unless he brings it up first.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

She may have simply thought Little Q was too young to be thinking about writing a book. I would ignore it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Ugh! First of all I never like it when people say something or post something and they put "jk jk" after it. It's usually a little dig.
There are two things she could have meant.
1 as you said it's about his weight.
2 wanted to let you know that she knows your husband well. (even is she doesn't)
Lol I hope people won't kill me for this post!!
Joil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
She may have simply thought Little Q was too young to be thinking about writing a book. I would ignore it.
Yeah I'm going to ignore it, because no matter what is did or didn't mean its not worth a FB drama. Maybe...if it was about writing a book....it really doesn't make any sense to his personality...but maybe. Yeah hubby is very bright. It could be applied to the way hubby was a child, whihc I doubt she knows, but idk...but yes, will be ignoring it!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joil View Post
Ugh! First of all I never like it when people say something or post something and they put "jk jk" after it. It's usually a little dig.
There are two things she could have meant.
1 as you said it's about his weight.
2 wanted to let you know that she knows your husband well. (even is she doesn't)
Lol I hope people won't kill me for this post!!
Yeah I think it was the jk jk that threw me...otherwise I would think maybe it was an inside joke. And no weirdness like that, cause she doesn't even work with him anymore. Honestly I'd rather it be an inside joke! She's not someone I've even been jealous of and I'd hate to have hubby take it as an insult.

Yeah scary stuff now posting here. Gotta be careful! lol
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Just delete it... And forget about it...
Actually this is a good point. I wasn't going to delete it because I was afraid it would draw attention to the comment. Kind of like "I know I/ Jane Doe posted this and now its gone" kind of way. I won't say anything back to her or to hubby, but is it suggestive enough about weight that I should delete it so hubby doesnt read it? He will be off work in like an hour so I've have to do it soon.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 06-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #7  

ugh, ok nevermind, I went back to the post to delete it, since I read it once and ran over here...she also tagged him in it. She said "I miss you Q "(tagged hubby's name) ...so even if I delete it he's going to get a notice I think. Anyway, I hope it was an inside joke...really just don;t want hubby to feel hurt. His weight bothers him as it is.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #8  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I can see where you're trying to be considerate of your husband's feelings and I just want to say I think that's very kind of you. Good wife.

It's hard to parse from here what the comment is intended to be about. But if he sees it and thinks it's weight-related, will it upset him greatly? If you think he's more likely to be confused (it's confusing!) and will say, "Hey, what's that about?" - maybe a simple, "Dunno" on your part and moving on is all that's needed. Ignoring it is probably the best no matter what she intended -- you either get the benefit of not misunderstanding her, or you show that you just won't engage comments that are snarky.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #9  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Hmm... I get annoyed by cryptic fb comments too! Sometimes I have no idea what people are getting at (if anything) so like you, I just ignore it. Sometimes social media leaves a lot to be desired communication wise (eg, no tone, facial expressions, body language, or any other indicators to give you a clue as to what people mean!).
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
I can see where you're trying to be considerate of your husband's feelings and I just want to say I think that's very kind of you. Good wife.

It's hard to parse from here what the comment is intended to be about. But if he sees it and thinks it's weight-related, will it upset him greatly? If you think he's more likely to be confused (it's confusing!) and will say, "Hey, what's that about?" - maybe a simple, "Dunno" on your part and moving on is all that's needed. Ignoring it is probably the best no matter what she intended -- you either get the benefit of not misunderstanding her, or you show that you just won't engage comments that are snarky.
I think I'm going to take that route, even if I do think its about his weight, I'm going to act like I don't. I know it lying but I think its ok this time. If he thinks that and I'm like "nooooo, I don't see it being like that at all" it might help him dismiss it.

And thank you. My hubby is my best friend I don't want to see him hurt, As long as he;s ok with it, I'm ok with it too!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
Hmm... I get annoyed by cryptic fb comments too! Sometimes I have no idea what people are getting at (if anything) so like you, I just ignore it. Sometimes social media leaves a lot to be desired communication wise (eg, no tone, facial expressions, body language, or any other indicators to give you a clue as to what people mean!).
Yeah I agree. I usually ignore things I don;t get! and there are a lot of comments on FB that are like "huh?" Sometimes it greatly helps to know the poster really well. I actually don't know her well. I met her once, she seemed nice. She worked with hubby, but as far as I know she was never someone he was close with...and now she worls elsewhere ,,so idk...lol
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/117 HW - 174

Height: 5 1

Hard to tell. Around our work, we have "fun facts" in our training so of course that's what caught my eye and I would think of an inside joke as to fun facts and work. Or maybe they talked a lot about breakfast foods and conversations went to funny ideas. Or maybe they did a lot of documentation and report writing. Or maybe he says fun facts a lot at work and she thought it was cute how your son is taking after his dad. When I say joking on something I usually do that so someone doesn't take me seriously in case they do, it's not meant to be a dig so hopefully I've never had someone interpret it that way.
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

I can't comment on any private jokes or background information, but my first thought was that she was referring to your husband's love of pancakes!! Did his previous job have breakfast together every week or is it a food that she might know he enjoys?

I wouldn't immediately jump to thinking it was a dig or badly intentioned about his weight, especially as she is still trying to be friendly towards your husband so I don't think she would write anything to upset him. I think that maybe it is just a comment that doesn't come across well unless you know more about their office dynamic or friendship (or work-related breakfast habits).
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I didn't think anything of it, but then again sometimes things have to hit me in the face for me to notice it.

It's so hard in this world of texting, emails, facebook, and forums to REALLY understand what someone is trying to say. So many time we read things into stuff that is or isn't there.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I just delete anything stupid on my Facebook. My brother posts stupid stuff on my facebook all the time and I just delete.

But I didn't take what that woman said as saying that your husband is overweight. It sounds more like she wanted everyone to know that they were "friends" and that she knew all of you.

Sometimes I find people post stuff on FB that just comes from that high school place of "I want to be popular. I want people to know I'm friends with this person and how well we know each other..."
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote