Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #1  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

Default Darn Easter baskets

I have kids (6 years and 18 months) so the finding and opening of the Easter basket was center stage this morning. Anyone else?

I was smart and didn't shop for the candy for them until last night, left it in the car in the rain until I was ready to make the baskets and wrapped the baskets in pretty cellophane so I wasn't tempted to sneak any back out.

I didn't put much candy in, but the 6 year old has a high expectation of candy in his basket so I did have to. Of course, my sweet and generous children are offering to share with Mama.

I'm hiding on the porch drinking coffee. I will be so glad when all of the candy is gone! Anyone else in the same boat?
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

We got two chocolate bunnies sitting here. To be opened after lunch. Hopefully I won't notice then.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #3  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Luckily enough, my son doesn't eat candy.

Great for the diet, bad for trying to find to stuff to put in a basket.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #4  

My strategy is to not have one single bite of any candy! It worked for Christmas and is working again.

But I really would give my right arm for some Cadbury mini-eggs or a Reese egg...

Just keep hiding from the kids, even if you have to do it all day!! Good luck!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #5  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I spent several hours on Saturday making up candy gift bags for work. Loads and loads of candy I might add. Yet, I didn't eat a one of them!

I'm not even tempted to be honest. I kept thinking how much I wished I could have put some sliced apples, carrots, etc in there and not sure how I would do this without them spoiling, etc.

Of course, now I gotta make up my nephew's basket here in a minute. LOL
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #6  
L J

I could absolutely NOT buy Reece's eggs. Just smelling them through the packaging in the store nearly did me in! Haha.

I stand a good chance of resisting the rest. And yes, I will keep hiding! Good thing it's not too cold outside today.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #7  
banned

Height: 5'3

Wouldn't it be best to not buy them any candy at all? The formative years are when we learn our eating habits. Should have given them fruit instead. Else, they may end up here on this forum, one day, struggling with their weight, just like all of us.
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Silver Sky, I don't think having a little candy on Easter is some kind of precursor to adult obesity. The way we eat daily defines our eating habits not the treats we allow ourselves on special occasions.

Congrats to everyone who was able to stay strong or just have a little. I cheated and had a few eggs on Thursday at work. But other than that I'm doing pretty good.

Last edited by charliee; 03-31-2013 at 12:35 PM.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
I cheated and had a few eggs on Thursday at work.
OMG tell me all about them!! Were they as good as I'm imagining?? I've made it since valentines day when they were in the store! Now it's like the 11th hour and I'm craving them!! Weigh-in day is tomorrow so it's not negotiable. But I do want one...or three!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm loving this thread, and yeah, I can't wait to see all the sweet treats the family has waiting for us. No idea how I'll do with them, all I know is that I'm glad they're having dinner early so that I can go on my elliptical if need be. Which will likely have to happen, lol.

The DH made chocolate banana cupcakes yesterday with nutella frosting. So glad be loves to cook/bake, because baking isn't my thing. These cupcakes were great because they were no sugar, so of course, I had 2 of them, haha. Point is I got my sweets/chocolate fix and should be ready to face the family - and hopefully ask for coffee rather than dessert

Good luck with the Easter treats everyone! And, if you decide to indulge, don't be too hard on yourselves. Limit your sweet treat holiday reward, and just up the exercise one day this week.
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Some of us were never allowed anything like that and went absolutely nuts when we became teenagers with our own jobs and money, eating fast food 3x a day b/c we weren't allowed ever before... it can work both ways!!

My kids are 3 & 5 months. Obv. the 5 month old doesn't partake but the 3 year old, I gave him a bunch of Cars gifts and a few little easter eggs (those candy coated minis). Good enough.

Turns out he didn't even realize it was chocolate and they are currently sitting in his pretend picnic basket. He is pretending to eat them.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #12  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post

My strategy is to not have one single bite of any candy!
That's my strategy today too!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, I've had enough for all of you... and about a half a loaf of Easter bread. Yikes!

Photos of the Easter bread are up on my blog today. It is soooo yummy!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #14  
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sky View Post
Wouldn't it be best to not buy them any candy at all? The formative years are when we learn our eating habits. Should have given them fruit instead. Else, they may end up here on this forum, one day, struggling with their weight, just like all of us.
You must not have kids. I think I will take my chances and let them have Easter and Christmas candy and assume the broccoli-asparagus-Brussels sprout loving little creatures, who think peaches and oranges are the best dessert ever, will grow up with a much healthier concept of eating than their Mama did.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #15  
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Well, I've had enough for all of you... and about a half a loaf of Easter bread. Yikes!

Photos of the Easter bread are up on my blog today. It is soooo yummy!
I was thinking of you and your Easter bread today! I'm going to have to check out pictures, I had never even heard of an Easter bread tradition. We fry fish, have corn bread and cole slaw!