Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/160/140?

Height: 5'4"

Default Scared of Binging

Hi everyone!

So far, I've lost 60 lbs over the past year and few months. I haven’t followed any sort of “diet plan” and don’t restrict my eating to any certain food groups. I continue to eat with the idea that everything is ok in moderation. For me, it started with transitioning to a much healthier lifestyle. Before, I lived a very sedentary lifestyle and my family and I bonded over eating out or eating candy or picking up ice cream after dinner. As terrible as that is, it’s how we were raised and eating all kinds of junk food together is how my family relates to each other.

At that time, I could eat whatever I wanted and, although I was much larger, the lbs never packed on as much as they do now. Now, although I allow myself occasional treats, I feel like one binge day takes weeks to recover from. For this reason, I am extremely careful to avoid bingeing. Yet, I am also trying to find some balance between sharing that comfortable bond over food with my family enjoying the foods I love and staying on track.

Lately, I just feel like I can't win either way. For example, Easter is coming up. Easter is a major holiday for my family. It comes in a close second to Christmas and we celebrate with traditional Polish Easter foods. From kielbasa and homemade pierogies to cake (my weakness) and chocolate candy, I dream about Easter in the months leading up to it. In previous years, Easter meant waking up early, eating my ridiculous amount of Easter candy throughout the day, and going to my grandparents where I would graze on all the goodies over there all day.

With my new lifestyle, I feel like I’m stuck in a no-win situation. Do I restrict myself completely, stick to my normal Sunday eating plan and pretend it’s not even a holiday while ignoring all my family's snarky comments and the emotional pain that comes from denying myself all day long when all I really want to do is eat? Do I allow myself some of the goodies, ignoring that increase on the scale over the next few days, and risk that I may lose control and overeat anyway? Or, do I allow myself to have an all-out cheat day (it only comes once a year anyway) and celebrate the holiday the way I always have in the past…by eating all day long and then have to deal with not only the increase on the scale over the next week, but the guilt and emotional consequences of binge eating before working hard to get back on track?

I guess what I'm wondering is how do I combat the loneliness and depression that still remains as somebody who used emotional eating to get through everything in life? I don't want to be 140 lbs if it means I can't ever eat a candy bar again, but I'm still having a hard time allowing myself to indulge sometimes for fear of regaining any of my weight.
searchingforbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I think that your name says it all. Do you plan on sticking perfectly to your diet every Easter and Christmas for the rest of your life? I know that I don't. I think that it's okay to indulge on special occasions. I DONT think that you should go an plan on eating until you are sick- but have a slice of cake and some Cadbury eggs if its going to make that big of an impact on your Easter- then get right back on track the next day.

I don't think that a few days a year of eating whatever you want will kill anyone. I it were once a week, I would see a problem- but as long as you aren't going to beat yourself up about it the next day, I think that Easter and Christmas are totally acceptable days to just go easy on yourself am not worry too much about it.

Have a fun day and try to enjoy the time spent with your family rather than making it all about the food- if you can do that, I think you'll be able to indulge a little without bingeing and you'll enjoy your holiday a lot more.

Good luck! This is really something that I struggle with every holiday as well!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #3  

Congrats on your awesome weightloss!!

This year for me, I am sticking to plan and staying home. I didn't want the temptation of food outside my plan while I am still in weightloss mode. I don't feel deprived as all of this food will be here when I move into maintenance and then will have the awesome task of budgeting my choices.

What plan are you following? If it's something like points or calorie counting, I would try to make a plan ahead of time of the 2-3 things you really want and budget for them. You just have to be super diligent at sticking to the correct serving size and not straying from your plan. Obviously it's easier said than done!

I hope you have a Happy Easter and come up with a plan to work for you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #4  

Thanks danzingurl77 and elvislover324! Normally I can eat in moderation and remain in control. I'm not the type of person who can stay away from certain foods so instead I always allow myself to have everything...even if that means I only have a bite of cake or a bite of pie. So far that approach has always worked and I never feel deprived.

I guess I'm just getting a little nervous about possibly losing control for the day. I am going to try to fill out my day with protein-packed foods to ward off the hunger and still let myself enjoy a few sweet treats. I'm also going to make sure to get in a good workout before going to celebrate the holiday at my grandparents house. Thanks for your support!! Your perspectives have helped me look at the issue more clearly and logically.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

Good luck to you tomorrow!
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I think it's important to realize that even if you do lose control and eat more than you meant to eat, you are still celebrating a holiday with your family (who are also probably eating a lot more than they normally do) and not sitting in your car eating junk food that doesn't even taste good in secret so that no one sees you.

I fully intend to walk down the street to my gay ex boyfriend's family's house after dinner to try and get some Polish Easter food to bring home in a Tupperware. The Polish do Easter reeeeally well!!!!!!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the support and advice! I made it through the day! The only time I felt myself getting a little out of control was when I was sitting at the table having some cake and bobka bread. I ate a little more of both of those than I was expecting, but overall I came out at around 1700 calories for the day.

It wasn't easy and I had to make adjustments like bringing my own salad and greek yogurt to eat throughout the afternoon so I wouldn't be so hungry and binge on junk. I feel good about the day though knowing that I'm not the same person I used to be and I can be in control of my actions, even around sweets. Everything in moderation!

Thanks again everyone!! Your suggestions and support really did make it easier to pass on that extra candy bar or extra piece of cake.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
like bringing my own salad and greek yogurt to eat throughout the afternoon so I wouldn't be so hungry and binge on junk
Winner! We have a master!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #9  
banned

Height: 5'3

This morning, I woke up with an INCREDIBLE Reese's PB Egg craving (I've actually never tried them, but I'm sure they taste just like the cups). Instead of caving in and buying one, I made my favorite PB, chocolate & banana oatmeal. It was SO delicious and much more filling than the candy would have been. Finding healthy swaps for your favorite binge food is a great way to stay on plan. Unfortunately, this isn't always possible for all foods. I've been drooling for Cherry Frosted Pop Tarts & Cheddar flavor Chex Mix for several days. I feel like I'm getting close to the breaking point and may binge again soon.
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote