Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:56 PM   #1  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Default Snacks At Work?

Hey all -

got a problem - I'm getting bored with my breakfast/lunch routines here at work...

Any ideas about some good protein & carb snacks lunches I can bring that are low cal/low-fat? I am at work from 7:00 am until around 5:30 pm 4 days a week (4-day weeks totally rock!), and then I usually go to the gym and then home to have dinner with my fiance.

my typical day at work consists of:

BREAKFAST: (WW PTS)

2 PCKTS OATMEAL (5)
COFFEE (0)

LUNCH:
SALAD/TURKEY OR SOUP & SANDWICH (3 OR 5)
RAW CARROTS (0)
APPLE (1)
FRUIT/GEL CUP (1)

SNACK:

1 CHEESE STICK (1)
ORANGE (1)

I TRY TO KEEP MY POINT CONTENT TO AROUND 12-16 while I am at work (~800 CALORIES) OR SO, and then the rest of the day I have about 8-10 POINTS FOR DINNER/DESSERT (~500-700 CALORIES, depending on amount of veggies)

PROBLEM IS THAT LATELY I'VE BEEN VENDING MACHINE HAPPY - ALMOST EVERYDAY I GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE MACHINE...

UUUGGGGHHH!!

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

Last edited by Lucky13; 05-14-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #2  

What kind of treat is it that you are craving??

I have discovered that the Starbuck's up the road from my work has these tiny 2 bite pieces of chocolate. I have been counting them as 2pts. because they are about 1/3 of the size of a chocolate bar. I suppose you could always buy those lunch box chocolate bars (mini-Halloween size), but I cannot have them in my house...I would just eat them all! That's why the Starbuck's chocolates are ideal for me....I know that really want them, because I have to walk up the road to get them...no impulse eating.

I bring tons of vegetables to work. I buy those mini, pre-cut carrot sticks or radishes. I also chop up red & green peppers and celery sticks (especially good with a bit of peanut butter, or low fat, flavoured cream cheese). I just store these in the fridge pre-cut in baggies, so I can just grab them when I really need a snack.

I also have hummus in the fridge at work and keep pita bread in my office. 1/4 cup of hummus (quite a lot!) is only 2 points. 1 small pita bread is 1-2 points. This means that you can generally have this snack for 2-3 pts. Chickpeas are quite filling.

I also like "Laughing Cow" low-fat cheese. I think that it is 2 wedges for 1pt. This is good on the baked Vegetable Thins crackers. This generally is around a 3pt snack. Especially filling if you have more veggies...makes it pretty much a meal!

Sometimes, I will have a few unsalted almonds (again, I often have a stash in my office). 11 almonds = 2pts. Not very many, but they are quite filling. I like to have a piece of fruit with them.

I also have a stash of low-fat hot chocolate powder and teas...These are very low points (0 pts for herbal tea!). You can even count herbal tea towards your water intake for the day!

I also find that bananas are very filling (2pts). I also drink V8 juice (0 points) and have a slice of cheese (3pts) for a snack.

Low-fat cottage cheese is also a favourite. I like mine with fresh ground pepper and cherry tomatoes.

Hope that some of these ideas are helpful to you...

Kris
Old 05-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #3  

I also fall victim to the vending machine now and then. And its such a rip off too!

Kris had some really good ideas. I usually keep carrots in my mini-fridge at work and water/diet coke. Just be sure to bring enough for the whole week on Monday and then you don't have to worry about it.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:30 AM   #4  

I know what you mean about getting bored with food! I think the hardest part about this "lifestyle" change is to incorporate other foods as I go along.

Here's my suggestions:

Breakfast: What about something as simple as different flavors of oatmeal? Or other cereals? I found that if I switch up between Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Kashi Good Friends, I don't feel bored...

Lunch: Again, what about different soups? I make chili a lot, it freezes well. Or, make tacos/fahitas for dinner and take them as leftovers the next day.

I mentioned on another post that I'm trying some Lean Cuisine entrees and I'm surprised how much I like them. I pair them with a cup of beets for a complete meal.

Snacks: Yogurt! It's one of my favorites. If you're craving sweet, how about low-fat chocolate milk?

Kris mentioned almonds...to make a larger snack out of them, why not add some raisins (can those count as a fruit?) and a small amount of chocolate chips?

Since I don't follow WW or count calories, I don't know how helpful these suggestions are, but I hope there's something in here you can use.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:12 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Kashi GOLean Waffles work for me in the am's. Also, Morningstar Farms meatless veggie patties.

For snacks I have to bring fruit to snack on or I, too, wander to the vending machine.

I have a small can of V8 mixed w/seltzer water for my lunchtime beverage. I really like that. The seltzer makes it go further & it counts as one veggie serving.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am not on the WW program, but hopefully these are low in points:

Breakfast -- I love fruit so I do corn flakes loaded with Spenda and strawberries and a small amount of fat free milk [I hate soggy cereal]. It fills me up! Also, fat free cottage cheese with a tablespoon of sugar free jam is good [like a Breakstone's Cottage Cheese Double]

Fruit Leathers -- it's sweet and curbs that sugar craving. Only 45 calories, 0 fat

Pretzels -- keep in mind how many is a serving though!

Hershey Kisses -- not so bad when you just NEED chocolate. 3 pieces are 75 calories and 4.5 grams of fat.

Flavored Vinegar -- great alone as a dressing -- since I LOVE lettuce, this does the trick!

Jello fat free pudding -- a variety of flavor and fat free!

Dannon Light 'n Fit Creamy is a great yogurt! Many varieties too.

Baked Doritos are as good, if not better, than the originals. Sure, the first one does taste different, but not there after!

Insert your Supermarket Brand here's Devil's Food Cookies -- they are a lot cheaper than Snackwells and have the same nutritional info

Those were my picks! Hope they helped!

JENN

Oh and a sidenote -- Diet Rite has revaped their products! The soda is yummy and uses Splenda rather than aspertame
Old 05-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #7  
12 pounds lost in 2006

I agree that pretzels are a good snack. Also, lightly salted popcorn. Fruit is also good. Try mixing it up though. Have strawberries and blueberries one day. And then apple slices and a banana another day.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:17 PM   #8  
Caden's Mommy

Thanks to everyone offering their input - I really appreciate it!!

I have changed a few things this week, so we'll see how it goes!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #10  

frosted mini wheats with a spoonful of peanut butter to dip the cereal into

fruit salad

low fat microwave popcorn/kettlecorn

luna bars

homemade granola with oats, wheat germ, a bit of dried fruit and toasted almonds/walnuts and a bit of honey mixed in. kinda pricey points wise, i think, but it's hard to eat a lot of it at once because you jaw gets tired of chewing.

beef/turkey jerkey
Closed Thread