Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

Default how accurate a treadmill is on calories burned

i just got a treadmill (brand new) and i was wondering how accurate they are in calculating calories burned? i cant enter my weight so of course it might be under estimating but can it be giving me a way higher number than possible?

i used my treadmill for 60 minutes only walking and from 2.5-3.5 with an incline of 0-10 but the average was probably 3.0 and a 2 incline (i forget) and it said i burned 373 calories. is that too high for only walking an hour??

also would the treadmill know when the automatic incline is set to 10 compared to 0 and give a higher calorie burn as i walk?

Last edited by deadkittens; 02-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Without entering your weight, age and wearing a heart rate monitor chest strap, your treadmill is just guessing and usually guessing high.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

dang lol.. well it has a heart rate monitor on it..

are the myfitnesspal calories burn amounts more accurate for walking? or are they on the high end also?

Last edited by deadkittens; 02-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you might me over thinking this a bit... from what you're describing it doesn't sound like you are going to get a very accurate estimate of your calories burned from this treadmill... But if it's something that you are really concerned with than getting a HRM would probably be the way to go... for a more accurate estimate... BUT it's important to understand that it's still just that... an ESTIMATE...

Personally I would focus on building up endurance (walking or running longer) and speed (walking or running faster) and not pay too much attention to calories "burned" at this point...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #5  
not for anyone but me

S/C/G: 223/175/149

Height: 5'5"

Yeah! I have the same question, you may be wanting to know a close estimate of the calories burned because perhaps you are a calorie counter like me. I rely on knowing how many calories I have burned away to adjust my calorie limit for that day. Although it would be beneficial to just workout and eat the same amount, I'm already at a deficit I'm comfortable at right now and if I can get some wiggle room for something extra, awesome! I just workout out on the elliptical for 65 minutes, at an average HR of 157. I am 215 pounds and went for 4.15 miles during that hour. I inputted my age and weight in the machine and held on to the monitors the entire time, the calories said 560. But when I went into my plate on livestrong to log my fitness an hour on the elliptical was like 900 calories burned. Then I went onto healthstatus.com and put in my weight and the 60 min of elliptical and it said the same thing! So I'm a bit confused. I've heard of machines over estimating but never under. So what should I believe? (I hope you don't mind, save the space of another forum in here. )
raworz is offline   Reply With Quote