Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Obstacle Course Races

In 2011 I ran my first obstacle course race.

My first race was Run For Your Lives, a 5k where you not only run obstacles, you have to dodge people dressed and behaving as Zombies. I was 187 pounds and really out of shape. I bit the dust on the first obstacle but I got back up and completed the race "alive" I did best on the rope ladders, walking hills and crawling.

My second race was the Warrior Dash. Again, I was around 187 and I thought I was in decent shape. I was in total denial about my weight until I saw the race photos. Well, in this race I did okay because there were lots of rope obstacles, climbing, some jumping. But one obstacle embarrassed me so much, I knew I had to change. There was a completely verticle wall with a rope knotted at regular intervals. My friend, who is about 120 soaking wet, went over it with no problem. I, on the other hand tried and tried but couldn't get more than a few feet off of the ground. I blamed muscle fatigue but when my friend came around the obstacle and put her shoulder in my butt and tried to boost me, I was humiliated - but happy to have such a great friend. I still didn't make it over though.

My next race was the Rebel Race. I was 157 pounds. This one had more running and the obstacles were doable except the monkey bars. I could not build the momentum to swing through the 5 bars. A lot of the race was mentally challenging and required that I do thigs well out of my comfort zone, yet, I made it through even the obstacles that terrified me. Then on the final stretch I did a face plant in front of the finish line crowd. No obstacles in sight - unless you count my two left feet.

Anyway, I have registered for the Warrrior Dash in May. Hopefully I will be at my goal weight by then. Since upper body seems to be my downfall in my races, can anyone suggest exercises I can do at home that will help build my strength in that area? I am currently doing the 30 Day Shred.

Last edited by ImImportant; 01-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

wow those sound like some really challenging races...my cousin(?) - relative of some sort - does alot of those too and seems to enjoy them...i dont have good advice on building strength except to maybe do weight training focused on the upper body...hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge than me...good luck!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #3  

The races are challenging but rewarding. It reminds me that I am tough and capable of accomplishing anything I put my mind to.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/174.6/160

Height: 5'6

I was actually going to ask the same question except I've never done an obstacle course race before. My bestie and I are planning on doing the "Run For Your Lives" zombie 5k in April and I have no clue where to begin in trying to build up my upper body strength. There's a ropes course at Dollywood and I have a season pass and am going to do it a couple of times after they re-open in March before the race but still don't know where to start even trying to build up to that over the next 2 and a half months.
KellinaKatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #5  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Good luck! It sounds like you definitely have the experience!

I've done a new mud/obstacle runs of various lengths. Bt this year I am doing a hardcore one in April and a Tough Mudder at the beginning of the summer. In preparation, I a, continuing with my regular cardio that I love, like Zumba. But I have added boot camp type workouts and my husband and I are training with fifty pound sand bags, twenty five pound medicine balls, ammo cans, etc, etc, etc.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #6  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

ImImportant: I'm also hooked on these races - in the past year I did Super Spartan [DEADLY HARD], tough mudder [not as hard as I thought at all], mudmanX [twice] and twisted turkey trussle [mostly running w/ nature obstacles].

I started workouts w/ a trainer to get me in shape and the BEST exercises she has had me do for upper body are pushups [also holding yourself in pushup position like with you body an inch off the ground & your arms bent - start with 5 seconds and build up], assisted pullups [SO important for lifting yourself over walls], planks [need to build up your core honestly] and dips - either w/ the dip machine or just against a bench.

I also do a bunch of burpees to warm up every day b/c if you ever do spartan race you need to be prepared to do a WHOLE lot of burpees lol.

I just registered for a bunch of adventure races in 2013 including the Spartan BEAST in VT which is yikes but I can't wait! They are definitely addicting!! Good luck!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #7  

Thanks ChickieChicks, MissPixie and AlaskanLaughter!

Im3898 That is great! I'm very happy that your suggestions don't require a gym membership or any special equipment, just my body weight. I will get to work on it this week.

KellinaKatrina Run For Your Lives is fun! The Zombies can be fast or slow. I suggest that you work on agility and stamina as well as upper body strength. You will need to duck and dodge the zombies.

The races are addictive. I was nervous at the start of my first race but by the end we were planning the second. At the second race we were planning number three about halfway through the obstacles, and at number three we were planning number four as we waited to check our bags! I have to check out the races you listed. One of my goals is to complete a race in another state.

Last edited by ImImportant; 01-08-2013 at 12:23 PM.