Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Losing my committment

I need to vent a little bit about my frustration with this feeling of losing my committment to weight loss. I haven't lost it yet-but I can definitely feel it wavering.

For the last six months I've been extremely dedicated to losing weight-the most I've ever been in my life. But about two months ago, I started a new job that keeps me very busy and can be mentally exhausting, plus requires that I travel alot. Since that time, my focus hasn't been on my weight loss. Somehow, I've still managed to lose (thank God) but last night I kind of had a break down and wanted to just give up. I'm just tired-I'm having a hard time juggling everything and I dont know how much longer I'll be able to keep it all going.

I knew that when I started this job it would be tough. My old job allowed me the flexibility to really focus on my weight loss. Not so much with this job.

I just wanted to vent and perhaps know if any of you have been going through something similar and how you keep yourself dedicated to losing weight despite life and all of its obstacles. I know its just a matter of "doing it" but sometimes that's just easier said than done...
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have had a fantastic loss, ask yourself it you want to regain that weight and start all over.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
You have had a fantastic loss, ask yourself it you want to regain that weight and start all over.
Bargoo-your comment just hit me like a ton of bricks. But in a totally good way. I never put it in that perspective. And the answer is no-I would definitely not like to start all over. Haha Thank you for commenting and helping me realize something I didn't before.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

First, a big hug for you!! You sound just completely overwhelmed!

I would suggest either a maintenance break (longer-term, follow your plan but adjust to maintain weight rather than to lose) or a diet break (shorter-term, no plan, possibly harder to get back on the wagon).

When I was about 6 months in, I went on vacation, and I took the week off. Even though I wasn't logging (I'm a calorie counter) I was still mindful of hunger signs and portion size, and I went on long walks. When I got home, I was relaxed, refreshed, and ready for the next stretch.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

The reality is that you have a lot of weight to lose (me too!) and most people have a difficult time sticking to anything weight-loss related for more than a few weeks/months. You've done so great being so focused for this duration and you've achieved a lot! You are stronger than you believe!

It is difficult to juggle the rigors of daily life and the focus on losing weight. All the effort and planning that goes into losing weight is stressful and a sizable task. And now you have a new job that is more rigorous. There's going to be a period of adjustment to find your groove in your life. Can you define how the job is complicating your weight loss efforts? Does it take away time from working out? Is it messing with your sleep cycle? Do people at work mess with your eating plan? Or is it a heightened level of stress that affects you throughout your day? Change of patterns are stressful and while you were in a great weight loss groove before, changing it up will mess with your head. I believe that thinking about what stresses you the most and creating a plan to deal with the stress will be most helpful. Having the plan of attack supports you emotionally and then you may not feel so much the victim of the stress. Feeling like a victim of circumstance drains your confidence and your forward momentum. And it's only a feeling, but darn it, those feelings can have so much power over us!

In my experience, taking a break from the diet portion of my plan wasn't the answer. It really is difficult for me to get back on track. Not impossible, but it just takes me a lot longer to get back on track. For every week I'm off plan, it takes me a month to find my groove again. I let myself indulge while on vacation in June and I'm only just now getting back on track fully. Now we're into the Holidaze season and I have decided that I can't afford to get off track with all the eating events coming up. I'm sticking to my eating plan on Thanksgiving Day (very low carbs for me, so turkey, healthy fats and non-starchy veggies only) and no holiday treats. Also keeping a limit to alcohol. And I really am okay with that. I know it's not for everyone. And I still need to exercise daily, an hour of Pilates (because that just makes me feel so good and I need the positive emotional effects I get from it), some weight training (spilt routine six days a week) and cardio (indoor rowing for 30 minutes every day). And then there's the emotional support that I get from posting at 3FC and other support groups I belong to online, plus the team of friends and healthcare professionals I put together who support my health goals. I'm accountable to them all and it helps a lot.

I wish you strength in your convictions! You can do this! I know this because you've already been doing it! You are a warrior! RAWR!!!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

This happens to all of as along these longer journeys, as far as I've seen. We get to the point where we're not 'As fat' and look pretty good again, or the months of sameness make us a bit lax.

The other ladies nailed it - this is the real test of your commitment to this for life - do you give in and let it go, regaining weight; do you give yourself a maintenance break where you focus on not gaining but otherwise rest and take the focus off of losing; or do you find a new goal or aspiration to work on and recommit yourself with vigor to another health achievement?

You can regain, stay the same, or lose. The choice is all yours. But don't kid yourself that you can not put in at least some effort and expect to maintain, that way lies trouble!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #7  

Thank you all ladies for the advice-I always know this is the best place to turn to when I need support

I don't think taking a maintenance break is right for me-I know myself well enough to know that it will lead to a long term break and I will gain. But I definitely need to find my groove. I knew this was going to be a challenge two months ago-and I definitely don't want to give up. Just needed to get it out there.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

idk if you did any journalling at the beginning of your journey, but if you did now would be a good time to go back and read them. If not, maybe you could visualize how you were back then, how uncomfortable you were physically, how you didn't want to do things because of your size. What was your breaking point that got you started this time? What were you sick and tired of? How much energy did you have? Did you have health concerns?

Also, you've had a big change in your life - maybe your diet plan needs a little revamp. It could be that things that worked well at your other job just aren't going to work now, and you need ot change your plan a bit to make it fit. For instance, maybe getting to the gym at lunch hour made sense at your old job, but it just can't be done at your new job. You can still excercise, just need to change the time or way you do it. You can do this, we're all behind you!
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I don't understand how a busy job makes it difficult to lose weight when you have a lot to lose. I could see how a hectic inflexible schedule could make losing the last few vanity lbs problematic since there is very little wiggle room there but in your case you just need to make more good choices than bad ones.

I'm not trying to be unsupportive I'm just pointing out a simple fact that your diet is going to dictate your results and no matter where you are there are always going to be low calorie choices and high calorie choices. So while you might not be able to get in as much exercise as you would like you still have control over what goes into your mouth.

You've done fantastic thus far ... just keep on making good food choices, one meal at a time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #10  

You have come so far. Don't give up now. You will be so disappointed in yourself if you gain the weight back.
Katie4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I feel you. I switched jobs, and took on a pretty demanding one. It's not simple to switch from one way of being successful to a new way, but it can definitely be done.

I chose to go with a super simplified menu. I eat almost nothing that takes substantial preparation time. Pre-prepared chicken breast, tuna packets, fruits, raw veggies, Greek yogurt, protein bars and shakes. Some people can't tolerate such little variety. I find I thrive on it. It's a matter of finding what works for you, and then working it. It's NOT easy, but it can really be done.

I also sneak exercise in. I work on the fourth floor of a four-floor building. Three times a day, I go up and down one public set of stairs, circle the building to the other set of public stairs, go up and down those, and then circle the rest of the way to my office. On days when it's super hectic, that's about all the exercise I get, if you don't count things like calf raises and yoga poses while I review documents. (Except on exceptionally busy weeks, I do manage to get to the gym at least three times a week to do strength training. Cardio days are bonus.)

The sleep thing is killer for me. Sometimes I do decently on sleep. Other days, I get literally no sleep for a 40+-hour-period. And the scale does not cooperate well with me when I don't sleep. So, I just accept that I can't change it, and get sleep when I can.

It's not perfect. But if I continued to wait for perfect conditions, I would likely be where I started (or heavier) still.

I trust you will find a strategy that works for you.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 11-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I completely understand!

I'm also overwhelmed between work and school and I have no time.

JohnP -- It is a question of calories, but when you don't have time to cook (I am finding myself with very little time), it's hard. Especially for me, with PCOS and a more restricted diet with no wheat/gluten or dairy. A lot of the "fast" foods that I can make are limited and if I don't make time to cook and plan, then I don't make good food choices later because I'm left with fast unhealthy food at my disposal. I keep my exercise schedule, but that's a de-stressor for me, not a weight loss method.

Because I don't eat processed foods, I struggle to find the time. I've been cooking when I can and freezing a lot.

And to be honest, I've decided to maintain for now. I'm hoping that by February 2013, my schoolwork will be done and I can focus again on cooking and planning.

Today is a good example. I ended up working all afternoon, ate leftovers for lunch, didn't make dinner because I went to see family, came home and defrosted food. Then I realized I ate too many calories because I forgot to include lunch in my calculations... *sigh*
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #13  
Be strong and courageous

S/C/G: 310/195/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

You have come such a long ways! Congrats! You can do this. Just remember how you felt at your starting weight and how you never wanna go back to that feeling again.
susiefleshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #14  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

ive been in this spot for about a month and a half. losing is slow and i frequently end up re-gaining a lot of what i lose. ive been bouncing within the same few pounds for quite some time.

its so frustrating when you're trying so hard and not seeing any results. i definitely think that someone at my weight should be easily losing weight on 1300 calories/day and i get so annoyed that i keep working at it and nothing is happening.

i dont have any great advice, lol. i guess im actually being a downer but misery loves company, right?
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I know it's hard but one thing you need to do is look at your ticker. Did you realize your half way there!!!!!!! No way can you quit now. Keep up the good work ((hugs))
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote