Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Opinions Please

My original motivation to start IP was to lose some weight for an upcoming cruise. My husband and I are celebrating 31 years of marriage. My plan was to go 100% OP until the cruise, 100% off program during the cruise and then back OP to finish.

Now that I'm a little over half way to my goal, it's going so well, I can see the end in sight. So, I'm confused about how to handle the cruise. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and I want to enjoy it, but I also don't want to derail progress.

Please tell me what you think, your experience.... The cruise is 4 weeks away. Thanks!!
rcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #2  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

On my first cruise several years ago, I was into low-carbs (didn't know about IP). I didn't have any problems finding many wonderful foods to eat! I felt like I ate whatever I wanted (especially quantity-wise) and I didn't gain weight at all. I think if you watch your carbs, any additional fat you eat will not kick you out of ketosis but will feel like a real treat just the same. You may not loose anything, but that's not the point of a cruise. Just relax and enjoy the ride! You'll get back OP soon enough.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/186/150

I am going on a cruise too...in four weeks. Wouldn't it be crazy if we are on the same cruise??? We booked the cruise before we started IP and honestly, after we signed up I remembered the cruise. We talked to our coach about it at the consult and have a few different options. We can go off plan, which I don't really want to do totally. So we talked about what we could do to keep things limited, but still enjoy our cruise and all that we have already paid for. I think we will try to make healthy choices and not go overboard with drinks, sweets and carbs (pun intended ).

We are cruising on the Allure of the Seas...what ship are you sailing?
MommaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/143/120

Height: 5'0"

I have a trip planned for our anniversary and my coach reluctantly agreed to try putting me onto phase 2 for 1 week, then phase 3 for 1 week(or 2, I'm not sure), and then I will be on maintenance by the time I go. I will be just making wise choices and not overdoing it on the trip. He then said I will be put back onto phase 1 when I get back. Hopefully this will work. He didn't too thrilled with the idea but was willing to go for it.

Have fun on your cruise and Happy Anniversary!
readytolose36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/191/145

Height: 5' 4"

At 4 weeks on IP, I went to Belize for a week for a friend's wedding. My coach encouraged me to go off the plan and enjoy myself for the trip. However, I was enjoying my success on IP and as the trip approached i too did not want to lose ground - 20# and 13.5" in 4 weeks. She then suggested that i do phase 4 maintenance on the trip (not mixing fats and carbs with my proteins). She has said as soon as i eat real carbs i will gain 3 # but that it would come off quickly when i resumed IP. She was correct.

On the trip i was fairly successful doing phase 4 as i only gained 3.5# on the trip. I primarily kept to proteins for food and vegetables. I had desert 3 times(pairing fats & carbs) and Yes, i did drink - beer, wine, & liquor. I drank lots of "Dirty Bananas" (Vodka, Bailey's, Kahlua, banana, coconut milk, ice, and chocolate syrup). I walked almost daily so i also think exercise helped burn the calories i was consuming. I handled eating and drinking with no problems. The week following my trip i lost 6.7#.

I was able to get right back on IP and I am down another 12# in the 3 weeks following my trip. If you are motivated, you will not derail after the cruise. Have fun and try to make smart choices. I thought about taking drink packets for mornings but did not. No regrets.
austintacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #6  

Thank you all so much for your insights! Very encouraging. I'm fine with protein and veggies as meals...it's the desserts and yes maybe a little cocktail that I think I might want while I'm there. I'm going to read up on the other phases, I never have since I felt like I would be in phase 1 so long. Mommahen..we'll be on the Elation, a carnival cruise. Have fun on your trip too! Readytolose, Happy Anniversary to you too, enjoy your trip...Gosh I'm getting excited!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #7  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrochet View Post
... yes maybe a little cocktail that I think I might want while I'm there.
Not to put a damper on any cruisin' but watch prices. I am NOT a drinker but my husband and I had a "drink of the day" (the fancy one) and a drink after dinner because we got to keep the glasses and it was our "souvenir"

HOWEVER all these "little things" -- a few little drinks, a game of bingo here or there, a photo on "captain's night"--added an extra THOUSAND dollars to our bill! Some cruises are all inclusive maybe, but we were very reasonable drinkers and spenders -- nothing over the top-- so that bill caught me by surprise at how quickly the "$6" here and there fees added up -- that must've included some day trips too but anyway-- bring more money! LOL

Enjoy your cruise! There will be Soooo many choices for food that you will be able to make good choices to help you out. Those pretty fruity drinks with the umbrellas in them, however, may be harder to resist

Last edited by IP43; 09-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #8  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I'm flying out today to catch my cruise ship tomorrow. Vancouver to Hawaii return, 16 days on the ship. Since I've been OP since Jan I decided a while ago that I wanted to go off for the cruise so I could avoid traveling with packets and eat / drink a little of the luxury stuff. I've done 2 weeks phase 2 and 2 weeks phase 3.

My plan as of now: I'm going to focus on a phase 3 approach. Larger breakfasts then protein and veggies for lunch and dinner. I will do an occasional dessert then try to lightened up the next day on breakfast. I will drink but after no alcohol for 9 months it won't take much to get me tipsy. Plus I'm running out of fat to soak up the booze. I have brought packets with me for afternoon snacks or to take on excursions. I stuck to mainly sweet items like chocolate balls and bars because that will help my brain with sweet cravings and help me avoid afternoon ice cream.

I know cruise ships have a lot of great healthy choices so I'm confident I can find a balance. I have no plans to go overboard because it would be a long swim home. The day I get home, I'm back on phase 1, 100% OP to finish my journey.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/186/150

Well it seems we have a few cruisers here...perhaps an IP Protein losers cruise would be a fun way to celebrate all of our successes.
MommaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

I went on a cruise before I started IP but I also went determined not to gain weight. There is so much more to the cruise than the buffet!!

I found that they have fabulous food for everyone on the ship. I was able to eat fresh salad veggies and non sauced meats. Still lovely meals but not all the calories.

One of the people we were travelling with had food allergies. She explained her needs to the dinning room and they accommodated her for no gluten and no dairy. She got to preview the menu for the next night and preorder so they would be prepared to make her meal with alternative ingredients. That would probably work as they used EVOO as her butter alternative. I do that sometimes when I go out too, I just order with no gluten or dairy and get a great OP meal.

Either way you choose to eat - Have a great trip everyone who is cruising!
rofl306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Hi! Congrats on 31 years!!! If food and drink will make your trip that much more enjoyable then by all means I say phase off safely before your trip and fully enjoy! Not saying you have to (or will) gorge each day but you can go about your cruise without worrying about measuring and preparing all your IP food. I would still eat fairly sensibly (lower fat, carb) but still have them. This way your repair work when you get back to "real life" won't be as hard as if you were to go ALL OUT!!! I believe Jennydoodle has a great thread about a trip she took. I believe she phased off and came back and got right back into it.

If you stay lower carb while away getting back into P1 will be that much easier.

So, my opinion is to phase off prior to your trip, enjoy, then come back and saddle up again!!!

HAVE FUN!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Do a thread search for a post by me called "Vacation report". It is very long (but informative!) and pretty much tells the tale of how I handled a once in a lifetime vacation and how I got back on track.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #13  

IPeeps are amazing! Thanks soooo much. Jennydoodle, I'll go check out your thread and mommahen, I love the cruisin for IP losers idea. Kitkat, enjoy your trip!!!! That cruise sounds fabulous.