Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #1  

Default Glycemic Index Diet - Opinions Please

Hi All -

I am looking into ediets Glycemic Index Diet - it looks good, but wondering if anyone's tried it. I can tell from the large GI Diet thread some of you are doing something similar - any big success?

Thanks for your opinions!
Grace&Bella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Hi.. I have just started reading about the glycemic index... actually, the South Beach diet promotes the use of the GI .... I would recommend the book The Glucose Revolution, which explains it... India
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #3  

Default just starting

Hi...I am new to the GI diet and am just now going to Amazon to get some books. I need to do something quick..I have barely anything left in my closet that fits!!
I am hoping to meet some other GI dieters too...Anyone?

Suz
Katmaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #4  
From sunny Spain

Hi:

I've been on my own "Gi diet" for a week now. I bought the book from Amazon and I haven't read it completely, but I have followed the instructions from the web.

I have lost about 3 pounds ( 1.5 kg ) in one week , and the best thing is that my cravings have disappeared. Also, I'm less hungry.
It's as if my emotional eating has been stabilized and I'm very happy for it กกก
Aural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #5  

Aural, can you tell me where you found the instructions?

Thanks, Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #6  

Default instructions

Hi..I don't exactly have it down because my books haven't arrived yet, but here is the gist of what i have learned from the library and other people:

-you want good carbs, that is whole grains with lots of fiber. No white bread or white potatoes. Some things that we always thought were great diet choices are not for us...like rice cakes...very high GI. Most breakfast cereals (with the exception of bran) are also high GI. Oatmeal is a great choice though.
- Lots of veggies
-protein and fat do not impact insulin levels but you still need to eat reasonable portions at each meal.
-Acidic foods lower the GI of the whole meal. I have taken to eating grapefruit at breakfast and make sure I have a vinegar type salad dressing on my salad at lunch.
-Dairy is good..milk, pudding, yogurt etc are all low GI. Makes good snacks. For work I usually bring microwave soups, yogurt and pudding for snacks. (I used to think microwave popcorn was a good option...alas it is not)

Ok..that is just what i know so far....I will keep you posted!

Suz
Katmaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 PM   #7  
Coded for Success

Hi guys,
I am actually in another group - the JC group - and I love this website and love to surf around and chat....... I am also combining with Low Glycemic, because I am a firm believer in the necessity of keeping an eye on the carbs! A doctor, whom I know personally, has an excellent book called: "Dare to Lose" (Dr. Shari Lieberman). You can find that book on eBay at a very reasonable price. It tells you what you need to know and follow.
For anybody who would like to hear more, I will be glad to tell in more details how I go about it.
So I combine eating 3-hourly with the keeping tab on the GI as well - it is basically called: Transition, a lifestyle change.
My email is: [email protected]
Blessings,
Magreta
MAGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #8  

Low G.I. Diet is easy and healthy. It is a way of eating for life, not just losing.

Corn is for cows and potatoes are for pigs.
Quincy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #9  

I've been following the zone plan and it also has you eat carbs with the low glycemic rate.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

I am a big fan of low GI eating ... loosely follow Sugar Busters, which is very much like Phase II of South Beach and they are ALL like the "GI Diet" and the "Good Carb" diet.

Whichever way you do it, low to medium GI eating, sticking to good carbs ... it works and you will feel great and lose weight and your blood sugar control will never be better!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #11  
PixieBullet

I've been on a low GI diet for just over 3weeks. I've lost 11lbs. My moods have stabilised and so have my cravings and binge eating. My Doctor (enviromental health specialst amongst other things) pushed me into it and I would now swear by it.
Basically, follow your calorie count keeping bad sugars and carbs out. I've swapped fluffy pasta and rice for bulgar wheat or couscous. Swapped thick cut white bread for soya bread. Mars bars have been replaced with green and blacks organic 70% dark chocolate. I've lowered my tea intake by introducing white strawberry tea (gorgeous) and water. I've stopped buying processed foods and mainly eat bowls of stirfried veg for dinner.
I would swear by green tea and I did drink it for the first 2weeks, but just got to the point where I couldn't stand the bitter aftertaste any longer. The white tea is meant to be purer and therefore has a stronger detoxifying effect. But, there's one big positive, it's actually nice!
Anyway, it's well worth a go, I personally found the Atkins too restrictive and because I couldn't stick to it ended up putting on 3lbs. Simply wasn't my way of eating. Low Gi suits me. I've also got the hubby ad kid on it, I hope my kids never have to bother with trying to change their eating patterns...
GOOD LUCK
PixieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #12  

I would love to start this diet..it seems so healthy..but not the SB diet..not that it's not a good diet..I just lie this one better.

What is a good GI diet book to get?
Organicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 AM   #13  

I'm in England, and the books I have used have been Anthony Worall Thompson's Low GI Cookbook (he's a chef and has help from nutritionists in the book) and Louise Blair's low GI cookbook. I don't follow a specific plan. My diet looks exactly like Suz's. Oatmeal for breakfast, salad, protein and a good carb for lunch (if I can find one, sometimes it's a reasonable one like new potatoes if I can't find brown rice at work) and dinner is vegetable based with protein and usually beans for the carb - chic peas, lentils, etc.

I have lost 57 pounds in just less than a year, and still have the same amount to lose. I also do a lot of exercise. Because the Low GI plan gives you slow release energy during the day, exercise is easier, in my opinion, than if you follow a traditional diet.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #14  

Default GI Diet

I have done some research on the GI diet and it makes sense. The only caution that I would give is this eating plan does not promote for you to eat a bunch of fat (like cheese, bacon, butter etc). There are several principals that are great to follow. No white flour, rice or potato. For the bread option rye bread is the best choice. The GI diet is great and I hope that you find success with it. Good luck!!!!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #15  

Sounds a lot like WW Core Plan.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote