Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 12:06 PM   #1  
Searching

Question What happens when you get sick???

This last week I started with an awful headcold, that turned into the flu, and now I have a nice hack in my chest. In the interim I have been running like a crazy person at work due to some major spills on our acid system. I have missed meals and 3 workouts! I feel miserable about it. I am going to try my aerobic interval today despite the hack. What do you gals do?

Chris
Old 04-13-2003, 01:40 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Rest and get well, then just carry on from where you left off.....If you don't rest you will just prolong your illness..... This is what I do and I don't stay sick long.... take your vitamins too, vit. C and Echinacea, also some glutamine if you have some....

Get Well Soon!!
Old 04-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #3  

just wrote a huge post and deleted it *sigh* here's the summary

1. eat clean
2. no areobics (leaves your immune system "down" for a few hours and lets you get sick again)
3. Keep lifting even if u have to lower your weights
4. vitamins! you need em

I think this actually helped me get over my cold faster.

hth

Tidey
Old 04-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well...it really depends on HOW SICK you are...of course if you work out at a gym...and you have the flu...the other patrons aren't gonna appreciate getting flu germs of course

If you're coughing and hacking up stuff, I'd say skip the gym altogether (this comes from personal experience...I had a cold and flu a few years ago and against my doctor's advice, went to the gym and worked out anyway - ended up getting larengytis (sp) and had to stay out of the gym for nearly TWO WEEKS as a result (and even worse - take antibiotics which I hate!).

If you just have the sniffles, you should be okay. Remember that if you're sick, your body will need to devote itself to 'evicting' the virus or bug you've got - I wouldn't lift weights at all if I was really sick because IMO asking your body to fight the bug AND repair muscle and recuperate from your workout is asking WAY too much.

My advice - play it by ear or if in doubt, call your doc
Old 04-13-2003, 07:25 PM   #5  
Student of the Hoof

Miss Chris, I think you gave me your disease. *cough wheeze* I was supposed to do UB today, but I can't lift a gallon of milk without coughing. I think if my eyes would stop tearing it wouldn't be *quite* so bad. Bleh. In the meantime I'll haul my puny feeling self to bed.

Hope you feel better soon!!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:40 AM   #6  
Searching

Default I feel fat and miserble

I can't take 1 more day of being ill and laying around here. Everyone has been feeding me and its been far from eating clean. I am going to the gym and if I die I will come home and call the doctor. I am becoming suspicious that I actually have bronchitis. I have had it before when I was a smoker. I thought when you quit this didn't happen anymore!!!!!!!!

Oh well off to the gym I go. I will let you gals know what happens.

Miss Chris
Old 04-14-2003, 11:51 AM   #7  
Student of the Hoof

thppt, bronchitis is something I've had and I've never smoked in my life. as a matter of fact, I have to really be careful with colds because they usually morph into sinus infections and/or bronchitis. I'm just lucky, I guess.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #8  
Searching

Well I had a really good workout overall. As I started sweating my lungs loosend up and I didn't cough, hack or wheeze during the whole thing. Got a little queasy walking home from the gym. So I sat down as soon as I got in. Hack, cough, wheeze. I guess I am calling the doctor.

Miss Chris
Closed Thread