General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Default Roommate Vent (long)

I am so annoyed with my roommate. She frequently does inconsiderate things. For example, I was recently out of town for several days, so the dishwasher was very empty. She left for town today. ALL of her dishes from the past week were crammed into the dishwasher before she left. So thanks, Roomie! Now I get to put away all of your dishes. (Guess I should be happy she even bothered to put them in the dishwasher).
Also: she took the (full) trash bag out of the can. Did she bring it to the dumpster the day she left for her trip? Nope! Left it just inside the front door for me to throw away! Sweet of her, right?

But this....THIS takes the cake.

Our air conditioner is only for our apartment unit.
I have it set where Mon-Fri, when we aren't at the apartment, it won't kick on unless it gets to 80 or so. When we're home, it stays around 76-77. I do this so it doesn't run as much when we aren't here.
A few times now, I've noticed that instead of pushing the up/down arrow to lower the temperature, she'll open the AC door and change it from "auto" to "run".
I've tried to explain to her WHY it is hot in the apartment during the day on Friday (she doesn't work on Fridays, but is normally out & about vs home). And that she only needs to push the down arrow to override the a/c setting. But it seems as if:
a) She doesn't listen
b) Doesn't understand and doesn't ask for clarification
c) .....I have no idea what other options there are.

But basically....I worked very, very late last night. When I got home around 11.15pm, I checked the A/C box and saw that once again she had pushed it to run. That meant that the A/C had been on run since AT LEAST 2pm!! (But really, much longer because 2 is when she left for her trip). But everything still seemed okay.
After I got home from work tonight, while I was doing stuff around the apartment, I realized it was feeling really warm! I check the unit....and it says 80. The temperature (that changes as you push the up/down arrows) read 77. I bumped it down further and the A/C STILL wouldn't kick on.

So I called my dad to see if he could help over the phone. I turned the A/C completely off and then turned it back on and it seems to be running now.....the temperature has finally lowered to 79 after about 30 minutes. But man oh man! Why is it so hard to just listen to me??

I even put a post-it note on the inside of the unit explaining why she shouldn't put it on "run".....but I have a feeling she just flips open the box and pushes the switch without looking at it.

So....grrrr.....yeah. Just really really needed to vent.

I want to email her (because she's out of town so I can't talk face-to-face) and explain to her (again) why she cannot switch the unit from "auto" to "run" (in words as nice as possible) but really....I don't know how to explain it without feeling like I'm talking to a small child.

--edit: I'm not going to email her tonight of course, because I'm all grumpy now and that would be bad. Just saying I want to.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 07-12-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Who pays the electric bill ? Show her a copy of the electric bill and explain to her the more the AC runs the higher the bill will be. Good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Who pays the electric bill ? Show her a copy of the electric bill and explain to her the more the AC runs the higher the bill will be. Good luck !
I agree with this. Have you ever explained how her actions affect the bills? Maybe explain this to her, if you haven't, and if things don't change start to insist that she pay the extra money for her constant running of the AC.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #4  
Warrior Princess

Rig the unit to explode if it's switched to "run".
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Hahaha @ novangel.

Actually, she's the one that gets the Electric bill.
I'm just crappy. It's been a stressful, long week and the last thing I want is for the A/C to not work properly.

Didn't help that when I moved the trash bag to throw it out, I noticed that it was leaking onto the kitchen floor. Yuck.

Thanks everyone. Sometimes you just need to vent and throw it out there. Did I mention there are peanuts on the floor in the living room? She drops food and (sometimes) leaves it. Who does that?

--not saying I'm perfect by any means. But come ooooooon......--
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Man, reading this makes me happy not to have roommates anymore. So much drama and no more cleaning up after them. Wishing you the best of luck!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #7  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

So happy that I've not had to have roommates in years. I have no words of advice for you except to say make a voodoo doll of her and poke it with pins...hahaha!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote