Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #1  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Default Home gym - best for weightloss?

I had a dream last night that I had one of these multi gym things and I was thinking of buying something. I was originally thinking of getting an elliptical but this weight training stuff sounds more fun and I want to be strong! So is this a good option? I'm not sure about this one as I want to work on my legs/butt quite a bit.. are there any that do that? I don't have a clue about any of this so any help is much appreciated.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...text%3EGYM.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...text%3EGYM.htm

Thanks!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I don't really know the benefits of either over the other, they look like they have the same mechanisms and all. I like the idea of having a bench though (more room for doing stuff with free weights), so I would probably go with the second one.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #3  
keep going

Thanks EricAnn! This is all so confusing to me.. I guess I just want a total body workout. I don't have money to buy extra weights so I guess I want something that goes up quite a lot. I'd say that I'm above average strength already as I do some physical work. Like chopping wood, lifting heavy things (pushing tractors sometimes!!) etc.. so not weak anyway.

I found this one too

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...GYM.htm#tabrev

Weight stack 65.8kg providing 90kg maximum resistance.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I own a Total Gym. I was motivated by Chuck Norris because I always loved to watch Walker Texas Ranger as a kid!!
Honestly, I believe that whichever gym YOU like will work! If you buy a gym that doesn't inspire you to USE it, then it will never work!!!
The Total gym was very affordable, I found it at Kmart for $200.00 and that is less than a one year membership at a real gym and I've had it over a year now!
You can fold it up and put it away, but I don't. My dad assembled it, and showed me how to do that...though I can't remember how to or if it was easy.
Changing the levels was tough at first, but then I got the hang of it and not very much trouble now.
Mostly I like using it for squats, leg pull ups, pull overs (for arms) and pull ups and chin ups. I like that in real life...on a real pull up bar I'd never be able to really do a pull up but at the 3rd resistance on the Total Gym I can do pull-ups and chin ups. And I started on level 2 with those, so I can build up to level 5 and while I cannot do real pull ups, I can do these and still work those muscles.
I also like that it feels like I can do lots of compound exercises with it, kind of like it is just bands with good range of motion. Like with the pull-ups I can feel it in my biceps and triceps the next day even though I think of pull-ups as working my back. I can do bicep curls on the Total Gym (or with free weights even) but I don't. Instead I do pull-ups and chin-ups and I can feel it working ALL the muscles in my upper body...back, chest, tris & bis and maybe even shoulders.
But like I said, if YOU don't like the machine, the machine won't work for YOU. For some reason I think the Total Gym is really cool and continue to use it...
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #5  
keep going

Haha! Chuck Norris, nice one.. have you seen this?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/27/...-chuck-norris/

Yeah I'm thinking of spending around 200euro maximum unless I find something really good that's worth a bit more (bit more saving).

I just want to try something like this instead of just cardio, I mean I can do Zumba videos on youtube for free if I want to do that or go cycling when the weather's nice. I really want to push myself and be strong. So y'know I can push tractors alone!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6  

Physical movement develops flexibility of our body, but well diet is too needed for weight loss and good health I think.

Last edited by Ryan Ron; 06-19-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Ryan Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #7  
keep going

I think I phrased it badly.. I mean for fatloss/full body workout/muscles yay

I control my weight loss with diet, that's how I got this far I just wanna be strong now.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I do not know if one or the other is better.
I have a home weight machine. It has two benches and about 10 exercises I can do. I love my weight machine, it does make me feel strong. Mine only goes up to 110lbs and I am not sure that weight can be added to it but except for the leg press, I don't even come close to maxing it out. I am only up to 60lbs for most of the arm exercises and only 40lb for the butterfly exercises and 20 for the forward row. I am sure which ever one you pick, you will enjoy using it.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote