Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Another bra thing...

Okay, so my question is, how do we know what STYLE bra is the best for us? Right now I'm wearing Lane Bryant's t-shirt bra, and I'm almost positive that the fit is okay (well, it's starting to get a bit loose now cause I've lost more weight since I bought it), but I think the style is all wrong because my underarm fat will not budge (and I do try to scoop it all in the cup; I don't know if I'm doing it right or not).

Also, what is the MOST CONVENIENT way to care for a bra? I'm under the assumption that we're supposed to hand wash them, but gosh that's such a hassle and if you're washing your bras all at once, you have to basically have time set to wear you don't have to be wearing bras. Is there a better way to do it?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think underwires do tend to look best (they lift the breasts higher, and make nicer cleavage), but I think that style is very personal. It all depends on the look you like and what fits you well. I think experimentation ends up being vital.

Also some bras look great without clothes, but then look weird with clothes (and the reverse is true too. Sometime an ugly bra can shape and smooth nicely). So you have to decide if it's a bra you want someone to see or if it's a bra that just has to function (it's like the difference between cute sexy date-night underwear and slimming, but not so stylish granny panties or spanx).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

i usually throw my bras in the wash and let them air dry. but...i'm probably doing it wrong, so don't listen to me.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

They have bags or balls that you can stick your bra in so it does not get damaged in the wash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P13YWRSAH7VF0Z

My bras are pricey.. so I end up hand washing them and air drying.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I also wash my bras in the washing machine and air dry them.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #6  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

I wash mine in a lingerie bag in the washing machine and air dry
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

If your band is getting too loose it can cause a problem with underarm fat. Basically what happens is that it sneaks because the wires because the band is night tight enough to hold the bra in place so it moves while you move throughout the day. If you want to avoid underarm fat absolutely make sure your band is tight enough.

Also, some brands have higher wires underneath the arms than other. You might want to try Panache or Curvy kate, for instance, because they have wider wires and they come up higher so they'll be more likely to keep that underarm fat in place. Both you can find on ebay for cheap if $$ is an issue (check ebay UK too!!!).

As for styles. I'd say some of it is personal preference but definitely not all of it. Often times women find that different styles are flattering on different breasts. For instances, plunges tends to work better on firmer breasts (because they don't have spillage towards the center), whereas softer breasts without a lot of natural shape do better in more full-fit bras because they prevent the breasts moving around (so that happens A LOT with soft breasts). Certainly, you can try (and own) styles outside of your normal, but typically women find a certain style works best for them.

Just to give you an example. I have extremely soft breasts and a long torso. That means I want bras with a lot of coverage, I also prefer padded bras that give me a lot of uplift (because of my torso length and because my underbust is the smallest part of my waist so bras that sit too low cover that up) and I like wires that come up high (against because of the soft breasts and long torso). So bras that I prefer are the Curvy Kate Thrill Me and Ewa Michalak bras. However, mostly that comes from testing bras a lot (but reading reviews can really cut back on how much you need to test for yourself).

ETA: I hand wash all my bras. Heating/cooling can wear down the elastic much quicker on bras and I really do try to get the longest lifetime out of them as possible. Machine washing can work but it will cut down the lifetime on your bras.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 06-16-2012 at 10:48 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Also, what is the MOST CONVENIENT way to care for a bra?
I machine wash gentle all bras and only bras = sometimes in a pillow case tied shut with a ponytail or in those lingerie bags so the hooks don't snag each other up.

Dryer them all or air dry.

I only hand wash the truly dainty. Cotton every day t-shirt bras I'm not giving the royal treatment since I buy new every 6 mos or so.

Bras aren't meant to last forever -- esp not the daily wears. the elasticity poops out.

I might get longer miles out of the dressy bras since they aren't dailies.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-17-2012 at 12:09 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I think the style is all wrong because my underarm fat will not budge (and I do try to scoop it all in the cup; I don't know if I'm doing it right or not).
Your bra cup size may be too small.

Measure under bust tightly. This is BAND SIZE.

Measure over fullest part of bust. Substract band size.

1 inch = B cup

2 = C

3 = D

4 = DD

5 = DDD / E / F

and so on.

This is US sizes.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I wash my bras in the shower. I have a retractable clothesline across the middle for bathing suits in there anyway. I lather them up with baby shampoo, rinse them with the shower spray, and hang them over the line. Takes me 2 minutes every couple days. I rotate them so there are always a couple hanging and one to wear .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote