Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1  
Miral Paris

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5/5

Default Embarassed at the quick-mart

Does anyone have a store they go to near you where in the middle of the night you buy about 10,000 calories and you're afraid they see you as a binge purger and you try not to be seen and when you go get gas during the day you hope a different person is manning the store?
Miral Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

I once went to a shop buying loads of junk and the woman commented, saying like 'Is this all for you?' sounding all incredulous. I was humiliated. I never went back there, haha! I think it was sort of rude of her to comment but then it doesn't look good a really obese man going in buying piles of junk, ooops!!

There is a shop near me where I very oten buy sweets, biscuits, crisps etc (DID, I mean, I am stopping all that!!). I try not to dwell on what they must think of me, cringe!
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

At my highest weight, the Wendy's lady took to saying "see you tomorrow"... I stopped going to that location. A few months later, I stopped going period.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

never had any comments, but I often feel guilty when I do buy food I know I'm going to binge on - like a big frozen pizza or a big bag of chips - like the cashier and others around see I'm fat and know it's all for me and I'm going to eat it all in private later. they probably don't know, but I guess it's just the guilt... which in a way I guess is good, it stops me from buying that stuff too often. I feel embarrassed ordering take out and getting fast food also (which is why I never eat it)- like the people are thinking "yep, this must be what she eats every day, that's how she got so big!"

on the other hand, I do have to shop for my mom and she often asks for alot of junk food, so I worry people think I'm eating all that too. I try to throw in fresh fruits and vegetables so it doesn't look so bad then (which I do eat!)

Last edited by ringmaster; 06-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #5  

Oh wow, I wonder if the cashiers and other customers notice/care? I always imagine they are judging me but I am probably being over the top. Mind, one time I was buying lunch and someone, a customer, made some comment. The thing was I was only buying an innocent tuna sandwich! Oh gosh!
xxxx
Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #6  
Time For Change

S/C/G: see/ticker/:)

Height: 6'0"

I'm a cashier and I have a customer that comes in an buys a ton of groceries, usually junk food. Which I don't really care, everyone does it. But she always feels the need to explain that the food isn't for her it's for her son, which just makes me believe it's for her. :s I guess she's just insecure I don't know. She always thinks she has to for a reason to why she's buying certain things.
When I ring trough people's groceries I never assume how many calories they're going to ingest when they get home. I think that's silly. For all I know they're having a family get together, or whatever. It is sort of really annoying when people have to explain why they are buying something because I simply don't care. No offense lol... Just another pet peeve.
ElociN2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #7  

No, that is good to hear. I think I knew really that the vast majority of cashiers don't think anything, just an insecurity of mine. It is true, people hardly going to notice unless you make a big deal and explain it too much!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #8  
To the Future

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I think whenever I started seeing the same people at Sonic, it was time to stop. I stopped, and haven't looked back. So maybe it's a great thing (in retrospect) for someone to make a comment, because it's finally bringing the issue out into the public and into the forefront of your mind. You can go so far so long with denial, but when someone else, a stranger no less, brings your eating habits to your attention it's a huge jolt.

Last edited by aka8941; 06-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.
aka8941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4

Because of my size and level of fitness, I actually get those comments just about every time that I go "binge shopping" (Very rarely up until April and May, when I had some tough times). People are clearly joking, because nobody looks at me and ever believes I would possibly eat all that myself, let alone in about 20 minutes! I usually just joked along with them and said something like "Yeah, movie night... I'm in charge of the snacks this week!"

Secretly though I was a little embarassed.

When I was at my heaviest though, I had this happen all the time. I doubt the man at the register of my corner 7-11 really noticed me, but every time I went in there I felt like I was being judged. Who knows, maybe I was.

Last edited by JossFit; 06-03-2012 at 04:48 PM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I used to work as a cashier (in both stores & restaurants) and honestly, the thought never crossed my mind. We were in the business to sell food, so we didn't care what or how much people buy. It was their business, not ours; and like some of you said, we wouldn't assume you ate it all yourself or at one time either ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I remember that when I used to binge I bought tons of baked stuff and told the shop assistant that I was going to freeze that to have fresh cakes and bagels and donuts all through the month. They were always very polite and never made a comment... I never heard anybody make a comment on what other people buy, and mind you, I have seen people buy piles of chocolate bars and candy. But I don't buy that anymore! Yay!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #12  

There is a market stall where I used to buy lots of sweets at the weekend when I was about 16. But then one day the stallholder said to me 'When are you going to grow up?'. I ran away in tears because I used to be super melodramatic at that age, haha! I said I'd never come back, and I never did. I remember it every time I pass, aaagh! Too funny.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Shops and restaurants are in the food selling business. The more you buy, the more money they make. I would think any store owner would be foolish to make a negative remark about someone's purchases - in fact, their job is to encourage your addiction and get you to buy more! A cashier, on the other hand, gets paid by the hour and not by commission, so I suppose making snarky remarks that might drive customers away would only make their job easier - fewer customers/less work/same pay. I'm sure the store owner wouldn't be too pleased, though. Maybe more people should complain to the managers/owners about rude behavior by their staff.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I haven't gone through that exactly. But I do notice myself evaluating what thin people buy compared to what I buy. My last shopping trip, I had a few "junk" items compared to the thin, built woman in front of me, I saw her looking over my choices, I was looking over hers and thinking "I would probably be thinner if I ate more of that stuff".
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5"4

Although I've never had anyone comment on what I'm buying, I ALWAYS used to feel like they were judging me when I would buy junk to binge on. I especially used to feel that way when the cashier was around my age, thin and attractive. Due to that I was very selective on which checkout I would go through.
NerdyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote