South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #1  
back on track

S/C/G: 175/175/135-145

Height: 5'6.5"

Question South Beach Diet vs. Ideal Protein Diet

I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I posted this question in the wrong spot. Please let me know if that is the case...

Here is a quick background summary of the previous diet I tried. I am hoping that the South Beach Diet is more well rounded and better for you. From what I have heard, it sounds healthy, but I thought this would be the best place to find out for sure- firsthand from SBDers themselves!

Anywayss, I tried the Ideal Protein Diet this past winter...results were good, but I started becoming concerned with prices. It was around $80.00 a week for powder/food packets, plus $30-$70 at the grocery store. The idea of constantly consuming packets of mystery powders/food as a primary meal replacement also grew concerning (they didn't list ingredients on anything, just calories and carb content). I started recording my total calorie consumption for the day, on that diet, and it was somewhere around 800 on a regular basis...which was shocking. I want to lose weight in a healthy way and that cannot be healthy for anyone. My family doctor told me that each individual has a base required caloric need (for breathing, muscle movement, pumping blood, proper brain function, etc.- basically the minimum number of calories you need to be alive and function healthily) ...he calculated mine and it was 1,750 calories per day. It made sense that it was more than double than that diet provided, because at my weigh-ins they had me hold a computerized device that measured my muscle mass and body fat percentages- my muscle mass always dropped drastically each week on that diet...my family doctor said that was because my body was in continuous starvation mode and was resorting to feeding off my muscles to get the basic minimum calories per day that it needed to survive! Eeek! It scared me to say the least. I also visited with two licensed nutritionists at the university I attend, that work with the various sports teams, and they both confirmed the same things my doctor said. I even got a fourth opinion from some of the personal trainers at the gym I go to. The crazy thing was that a large part of the diet was eating lettuce, drinking water, and drinking tea as hunger fillers...they made it seem healthy at the time, but it's pretty clear now that it wasn't. The diet also said that you couldn't slip off track once of it would kick your body out of ketosis...I told them each that (doctor, nutritionists, and personal trainers) and they pretty much freaked out. I wasn't informed well enough prior, but ketosis is basically the starvation mode process your body goes through to protect itself as a last resort. Double eeek!

I tried to keep that part short, but I am basically wondering how the South Beach Diet works and what the costs are in comparison. Here are some of my questions:

- Is it super restricting in an unhealthy way (as in 0 carbs or 0 protein like some of the other extreme crash fad diets out there)? Meaning, when you go off it, is it the type of food you would still cook on a regular basis?

- Is the food simple and easy to prepare? (I am a college student so my income is very limited and my paycheck usually goes right back into school...I am just looking for "normal" but healthy cooking ideas- the previous diet I tried called for ingredients that were usually very expensive and hard to find- it was extremely selective. Also, there would regularly be recipes that called for 15-20+ ingredients, which I cannot continually afford.)

- What is the typical/approximate cost per week at the grocery store?

- Is there a good variety of recipes, while still being affordable?

- Do you feel like you are dieting and starving the whole time or does it just feel like a normal day, but with healthier food?

- Are you allowed to exercise on this diet? (The previous diet I tried didn't allow any type of exercise, which was a major red flag.)

- For people that are maintaining...was/is it easy to transition after the diet and easy to keep the weight off?

- What was your average pounds or inches lost per week or month?

Sorry for all the questions! I am just trying to figure out a practical, yet healthy option for learning to eat better. I do actually enjoy fruits, veggies, dairy, and protein quite a bit...I just don't know how to prepare a lot of them (other than the basic carrots and dip or scrambled eggs, etc.) and I am looking for a diet that will kind of teach me how to incorporate that kind of clean food on a regular basis- and make it taste good and filling. I have always been very active, but I never focused on nutrition...now that I am a bit older, my metabolism has slowed down and going to the gym isn't cutting it!

If you have any other info./advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it! I've tried looking at various cookbooks and what not, but the recipes seem to be extremely complicated or very pricey and call for tons of ingredients...I definitely still consider myself a beginner chef, so the more simple the better. I am not to the point of knowing how to alter recipes or substitute ingredients for taste or price.

Last edited by April2Joy; 04-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The best advice I always give anyone considering this plan is to buy or borrow the book, and read it thoroughly. It is essential to understand the fundamentals of this way of eating and why we avoid certain foods. It will also answer all of your concerns, and is a good read, too.

On the South Beach Diet, we eat wholesome, healthy foods, and initially it is time-consuming to prepare your vegetables, etc., but soon it will be routine. Only the first 2 weeks are restrictive, as we cut out starchy carbs and fruits, but you should never feel deprived and it is only for 14 days. And once you start Phase 2, you are eating normal, everyday foods, but only healthier versions of them. And, yes, exercise is very much encouraged on this plan.

We have a great recipe section here for all phases of the plan, and there are also several South Beach cookbooks on the market with great recipes.

Again, I strongly urge you to read the book before you get started so you can get the greatest benefits from this plan. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I agree 100% with cottage - you MUST read the book!

However, I will try to give you *my* version of the answers to your questions:

- Is it super restricting in an unhealthy way (as in 0 carbs or 0 protein like some of the other extreme crash fad diets out there)? Meaning, when you go off it, is it the type of food you would still cook on a regular basis? It is NOT restricting in an unhealthy way and YES you will continue to cook like this. The only way you can really go off plan is if after the first 2 weeks, when introducing back fruits and grains, you eat one of the following (remember, read the book as to the WHY but this is my oversimplified version of the answer): sugar, white rice, white potatoes, white bread, white flour. I've been eating this way for 10 months now and have gone off plan 4 times, hopped right back on Ph 1 and then back to 2 and have been a-ok!

- Is the food simple and easy to prepare? (I am a college student so my income is very limited and my paycheck usually goes right back into school...I am just looking for "normal" but healthy cooking ideas- the previous diet I tried called for ingredients that were usually very expensive and hard to find- it was extremely selective. Also, there would regularly be recipes that called for 15-20+ ingredients, which I cannot continually afford.) There *are* indeed recipes that are expensive. But you can buy a lot of the fresh veggies frozen and not eat some of the super involved food. Do a search here for grocery list or go-to products for an idea of what people like to eat and how much they spend. I spent $150 the first time I grocery shopped however, now I don't spend that much. I get a few staples that last and no longer spend on "junk" foods.

- What is the typical/approximate cost per week at the grocery store? To feed two people in my house for a week, I spend on average $60-100 however, that includes DW's food that is many times, off my plan and which I don't partake in.

- Is there a good variety of recipes, while still being affordable?Check out our recipe section here and you be the judge (but my answer would be yes). However IMHO, if you live in a dorm, I don't think this plan will be for you as it calls for many self-prepared meals.

- Do you feel like you are dieting and starving the whole time or does it just feel like a normal day, but with healthier food? For me, a normal day, healthier food. I eat when I am hungry, I am just eating an apple instead of a bag of chips.

- Are you allowed to exercise on this diet? (The previous diet I tried didn't allow any type of exercise, which was a major red flag.) Yes. It is highly encouraged. Although, I don't nearly as frequently enough. And, sometimes the first few days of Ph 1 are hard to do so when you are detoxing (do a search here of the forums for SBD Flu).

- For people that are maintaining...was/is it easy to transition after the diet and easy to keep the weight off? N/A

- What was your average pounds or inches lost per week or month? funny you should mention this! I started at 259 pounds and in 10 months have lost between 35-40. Totally healthy and totally doable. However, I was amazed with the inches and dress sizes when I measured the other day! I started this diet last July because I could not stand being heavy and more and 3 days after I started, I couldn't fit on my favorite roller coaster (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/237676-mortified.html) So I took my measurements and to date I've lost
ribs (band size for bra since my bras are now falling down my shoulders and running up my back): -4 inches
hips: -9 inches
waist: -7 inches

I've gone from a size 2x-3x and 22-24 in pants to an XL/XXL and a size 16 or 18 in pants. My goal is a L and 12. I've had quite a bit to lose and every loses at different speeds/rates. I've never done the Ideal Protein diet but it sounds much more unhealthy and restrictive. Here it's 14 days of being restrictive to get the crap outta your system and then living life. I know others tell similar success stories. Search that one too.

And good luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  
back on track

S/C/G: 175/175/135-145

Height: 5'6.5"

Thank you so so much! That was extremely helpful and incredibly motivating That was the kick in the bootay that I needed. I am headed to the bookstore now!

jenne1017- Congrat-sa-flippin-lations! I can already tell that this forum is going to make the world of difference in staying on plan. The feedback and support is amazing already. Luckily I am not in the dorms anymore, so it seems very doable and the price range is reasonable. I cannot stop smiling- I think this diet is exactly what I have been looking for

Quick questions:
What does DW and IMHO mean?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #5  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Hey Girl!

DW = Dear Wife and IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.... forum-speak. Learn ALL kinds of new abbreviations in the FAQ section. (Frequently Asked Questions.... )
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/154/130

Height: 5'5"

This post surprises me and I would encourage you, or anyone else reading this thread to do more research on the IP diet before being scared by this post. Here is a link that provides all kinds of valuable information on the IP diet. google FAQS_PROTOCOL-MEDICAL in pdf
First let me disclose I am not a Doctor, a nutritionalist, nor am I a trained “coach” for any diet program out there. I am just someone who has tried for years to find the right weight loss solution for me that makes sense, and provides good guidance on how to live a healthy diet life. So the following comments are purely mine based on the years and years of in depth research I personally done with my own doctors, nutritionalists, and coaches, for a lot of the weight loss programs out there.
I am currently on IP and I did a ton of research on IP before I decided to try it. With all that research, you are the first person I have ran across that has reported such negative results being on IP, especially the muscle loss. This diet is medically created, and you cannot do it without some kind of doctor either recommending or overseeing the results. Their main focus is to NOT see muscle loss. I don’t necessarily see the Dr. at all my visits, as rather I see a trained coach, but I know the Dr. who is authorized to provide the diet is monitoring everything behind the scenes as they don’t want to be subject to a lawsuit if someone became very ill! So, with the lack of your understanding, I am wondering if at the time you went on the IP diet that you gave it the same amount of research you are putting towards the South Beach Diet? If you had you might not have been so scared of the diet. The link above explains how your body is using more than just the 900 calories that you consume and is burning your fat as fuel (not the muscle), which really is the point of its weight loss process. Yes, the caloric amount is very scary to consider as it breaks all the rules for how other diets work. But that is why you have the IP packets and supplements to help you get the nutrients you need. You must not do IP if you cannot take the supplements as it is mandatory.
So first, I have to correct the misnomer that the diet requires you to not exercise. It asks you to not start exercising for the first 3 weeks of the diet, or if you already are exercising you must drastically reduce the level of your exercising. Again the link above dives into why you should wait 3 weeks to start exercising, and then how you must manage it after 3 weeks when you begin to exercise. For your muscle loss, I am willing to bet if you were exercising before you started and then immediately stopped, then of course you are going to see muscle loss. In contrast, If you continued to exercise as you did before, then you probably were causing your body to burn muscle instead of fat due to engaging the muscles too much while on such a low carb/calorie diet. That is exactly why they have you hang on to that gizmo and measure for this every week, which I would be surprised they didn’t have concerns for what you were doing to cause this to occur.
Also, on the comment about Ketosis being dangerous. Ketosis and Ketoacidosis often get confused. Ketoacidosis is toxic and life threatening. In contrast Ketosis is the simple matter of your body metabolizing and burning its fat reserves. To kick it in you reduce (not fully omit) carbs from your diet. IP is not a zero carb free diet. It is a low carb diet. As an example one of the IP packets (Spaghetti) has 22 carbs in it. So you are still getting some controlled carbs, not to mention the right carbs, in your diet to keep your engine running fine. Though they don't have the ingredents or nutrition labels on each packet, they do post all this information on the box they come in. You simply need to ask to read it all.
Though I am a huge proponent of Weight Watchers (WW), and do plan on using WW as my long term choice of diet life style, I personally have a need to lose some weight quickly (high cholesterol levels, a plateau I can’t get past, a wedding, a cruise). And I have to say the results on IP so far have been nothing short of miraculous. The best thing so far, aside from losing 7 pounds in 2 weeks is my skin has been transformed. I have battled with bad skin my whole life. Not acne, but rather eczema, super sensitivity to anything (heat, sun, medications, chemicals, fragrances, etc) and excessive dryness. After 2 weeks on IP my skin on my entire body is smooth as silk (my husband was the first to notice – nice plus to the diet). Never in my life have I had skin like this. Now I know for a fact that when you are on an unhealthy bad diet, your skin (and hair) is your first indicator of how your body is suffering. It is after all your largest organ in your body, so there must be something healthy about IP when my skin is responding so well! I will say, the first two weeks are rough, not so much for hunger reasons, but rather adjustments to the fuel your body is using to function. Headaches, light headed-ness, spacey-ness, dizzy-ness and others may occur. But I also know other diets will do the same thing to you. If you eat bad before going on a diet and then drastically change your diet and eat good, your body is going to go through “withdrawals” while it is adjusting to its new fuel!
I will say if you are concerned about costs and want a diet program that provides you no need to “buy their products” and want to really learn how to lose weight the right way, I would encourage you to look into and join Weight Watchers. The thing with weight watchers is you have to have patience. If you lose more than 1-2 pounds a week, you will be reprimanded (online or in person) that you are losing weight too fast. But it is a well proven diet and life style program that holds its ground in healthful long term benefits. However, If you have a need to lose weight quickly (coming surgery, impending health issue, etc.) then I would highly recommend the IP diet. But you have to be diligent about following what they call “the protocol”. You cannot deviate from it else you might be putting yourself as risk, which is why it is medically supervised.
And lastly, this diet is not intended to be a long term diet and more correctly is not a diet but a treatment. You are putting your body through a treatment to get it to burn your fat stores the way our bodies have been designed to do in the first place. Once you complete your treatment, you transition back into a normal diet slowly by introducing new foods and slowly omitting the IP packets and in the meantime will have learned how maintain your weight loss through understanding how to eat right and keep the junk out of your trunk! That is where I plan to follow WW for the rest of my life.
If SB is a better fit for you, then I say go for it. If it works to help you reduce your weight, then all the better. But don’t knock IP if you have not done the correct amount of research to understand how it works. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm closing this thread as April2Joy has had her questions answered and we don't need to turn this into an IP vs SBD debate.

We do have an IP part of this Forum where IP info is available. We all know that one size does not fit all.
Closed Thread