Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #1  
Chubby Chibi

Height: 5'5

Default Wait.. What?

I read something a long time ago and it just now came to my mind. YOU HAVE TO BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EAT?!!?!?! What? I don't have time to work out for 4 frickin hours each day just to burn more than I eat. Actually, I don't think I have time to work out everyday anymore. I'm so busy with school trying to save my *** from not going to summer school. Just the thought: "you have to burn more calories than you eat".. That thought just makes me wanna eat 200 calories each day that way I can burn it off easily and be skinny.

I truly, truly, hate weight loss.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

No no no... you're reading it wrong.

Breathing - burns calories. Sitting - burns calories. Your heart beating - burns calories.

Sure, running burns them faster... but the very act of being alive burns calories!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

your body burns calories as you sit and breathe or as you are sleeping. you don't have to exercise off 1500-2000 calories per day unless you're eating over 3000 calories and are very small. 75% of what your body needs is simply for function of organs and things like hair growth, nail growth and skin regeneration.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

don't panic, it's not like that! we all need a certain amount to just live. Even if you laid motionless in bed all day, your body needs x amount to function; that's your basic metabolic rate. There are online calculators to figure out how much your particular amount is. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I just did mine - my basic metabolic rate is 1351. That's what I need to just survive a day, healthily. So for me to lose weight, I need to eat less that that, and/or exercise to burn calories.

*and I know that it's our own decision, but truly, you don't have much extra weight to lose, do you?

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-17-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5  
Chubby Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post

*and I know that it's our own decision, but truly, you don't have much extra weight to lose, do you?
I used to starve myself. I lost about 36 pounds from starving myself. I'm trying to not starve myself but now I'm just eating a whole bunch of crap and I'm gonna screw up everything and gain everything back. I know it. Life sucks. My weight, and losing weight is the only thing I even care about. I'm obsessed with it. I literally beat myself up over how much I weigh. It drives me crazy.

Sorry for sounding pathetic.

I just did that BMR thing.

I got 1521.45.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #6  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
don't panic, it's not like that! we all need a certain amount to just live. Even if you laid motionless in bed all day, your body needs x amount to function; that's your basic metabolic rate. There are online calculators to figure out how much your particular amount is. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I just did mine - my basic metabolic rate is 1351. That's what I need to just survive a day, healthily. So for me to lose weight, I need to eat less that that, and/or exercise to burn calories.

That's not entirely right. Don't forget after you get your "in a coma" BMR, to go to this page to find your activity multiplier. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Assuming you're "lightly active," your maintenance rate is actually 1857, and that's the number you should eat below to lose weight. It's generally not a good idea to eat below your BMR for long periods of time, so you should find your happy place somewhere in the 1351-1857 range.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #7  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibir3dpanda View Post
I used to starve myself. I lost about 36 pounds from starving myself. I'm trying to not starve myself but now I'm just eating a whole bunch of crap and I'm gonna screw up everything and gain everything back. I know it. Life sucks. My weight, and losing weight is the only thing I even care about. I'm obsessed with it. I literally beat myself up over how much I weigh. It drives me crazy.

Sorry for sounding pathetic.

I just did that BMR thing.

I got 1521.45.
Ditto what I said above. Make sure to factor in your activity level and find a happy place between 1521.45 and whatever your maintenance is.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #8  
Chubby Chibi

*sigh*

well thanks for the help you guys..still doesn't really make sense to me but okay we'll go with that
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ok, you multiply that BMR you got by different numbers depending on your activity. Even if you're sedentary you multiply it by 1.2 I believe. Subtract 500 from that number, eat that much and you should lose about a pound a week. Multiply your BMR by more if you're active.

I know it seems confusing, but you don't even have to exercise to lose weight! You should but it's not necessarily.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

ok, here's a post I made in the calorie counting forum. Maybe this will help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Your BMR is the calories you burn each day just by being alive. If you were to just lie in bed for a day these are the calories that you would burn.

To determine your BMR you can use the following forumla:
BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Not necessarily the most accurate way, but it does give you a ballpark figure.

From there you can figure out how many calories you should be eating based on your activity level. This is the Harris Benedict Equation, but you might find that other forumlas work better for you. You might need to go up or down depending on your needs (I know personally I need to eat higher than this).

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

You'll get the calories you need to maintain your weight by using these forumlas. To lose 1lb per week subtract 500 from the number you get. To lose 2lbs per week subtract 1000.

It might work beautifully for you or it might not. Trial and error is really the only way you'll find out Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #11  
Chubby Chibi

thanks..
Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #12  
too big to fail

You wouldn't be skinny for very long if you lost it all very quickly without learning all the good habits that are required for a fit, healthy body.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #13  
Chubby Chibi

Ummm. Sontaikle, I got 1858.2475.
I think I did that wrong. If not, I'm NOT eating that many each day. I don't even eat 1,300 calories.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
That's not entirely right. Don't forget after you get your "in a coma" BMR, to go to this page to find your activity multiplier. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Assuming you're "lightly active," your maintenance rate is actually 1857, and that's the number you should eat below to lose weight. It's generally not a good idea to eat below your BMR for long periods of time, so you should find your happy place somewhere in the 1351-1857 range.
Yikes!! I completely forgot about adding in an activity level. Good thing we all take care of each other

chibir3dpanda, wishing you not to obsess and get so upset about this
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibir3dpanda View Post
Ummm. Sontaikle, I got 1858.2475.
I think I did that wrong. If not, I'm NOT eating that many each day. I don't even eat 1,300 calories.
I got 1749.9 and I'm with you on this. I honestly believe if I ate that much I would start gaining weight again. I've been eating between 1,200 and 1,400 and still only slowly losing. I'm interested to see what others have to say about that...
Closed Thread