Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:238 CW:224.6 GW:120

Height: 4' 11"

Default Random, but MUCH needed rant.

So, I was on facebook. Wasting time when I should be sleeping. And I see this status that my own sister thought was hilarious.

"I think its so funny when fat b****** always try an act like they ain't hungry when you offer them food!"

I'm not entirely sure why, but it just INFURIATED me! Well, I am sure why. I know there have been times that I have rejected offers of food for fear of what it would look like to other people. And that insecurity, for it to be picked on. It's just ridiculous. And to think it's "so funny". Furthermore, this specific person is overweight themselves and is trying to lose weight. I just don't understand the hearts of some people. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I just had to get it out.

-Rant over-

Do you guys have to put up with heartless trash like this on a daily basis? I know I do.
AlyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

The over weight person who wrote this is probably just trying to make them self feel better. But you are right, that is horrible. Even I am annoyed with that comment and it wasn't my family member who laughed at it! Some people just never grow up.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyN View Post
I know there have been times that I have rejected offers of food for fear of what it would look like to other people.
I have SO been there. Even now... when I ate my complete lunch out at a restaurant last week with co-workers (instead of, for instance, saving half of it for later), I worried what they would think.

What an awful comment, and it's sad that anyone found it funny.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #4  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Yea.. they are everywhere!! I hear obese jokes everyday, not sure if those people realize that I am technically obese but it is hard not to get visibly upset.
I refuse food in public at times and some people will ask again to make sure-not sure if if it has to do with the idea that fat people are always hungry?? Hugs
I find the world is a pretty heartless place and it gets discouraging.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #5  

My sister insults skinny people all the time and then she'll say stuff like OMG don't let me be 300 lbs or "well I guess I shouldn't judge this person because I"M not obese"
Yes I get it you are not obese. Nor are you "scrawny."
People who make out of line comments about other people usually do it to draw attention away from the flaws in their own bodies.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #6  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

I have a family member that is overweight, but not obese. It makes her feel better when she insults obese people. Her favorite thing to say is "OH MY GOD! Did you see that man/woman? If i ever get that fat please shoot me. I wouldnt even want to live."

Then she goes on about how it looks disgusting, and how its disgusting to even see them eat.

Its cruel and unnecessary and it irritates me. I can relate.
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Ugh. Sometimes I get so indignant about the stupidity of some people it makes me hate them. When fat guys hate on fat women (and yes, I've seen it happen firsthand) I feel like punching them in the head; it makes me that angry.

And I feel for you, OP: My sister's husband makes disgusting comments about larger people, and unfortunately is one of those guys who'll yell out insults at a fat woman as he drives past them -- and while I'm in the car, too!
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

OK, I'm a bit of a dissenting voice here. I think there's such a thing as taking ourselves too seriously. When people make jokes about fat people, they're not necessarily being cruel, and sometimes there's a kernel of truth in the joke (which is what makes it amusing).

A while back, when I was at Starbucks, an extremely obese woman ordered a cookie and made a point of telling the server that "it's for my husband." I have to admit that I did find it amusing and told my kids about it. If I were to do the same thing (justify a large order of food to a server or waiter) and then found out that someone had joked about it, I don't think I'd be offended.

JMHO Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
OK, I'm a bit of a dissenting voice here. I think there's such a thing as taking ourselves too seriously. When people make jokes about fat people, they're not necessarily being cruel, and sometimes there's a kernel of truth in the joke (which is what makes it amusing).

A while back, when I was at Starbucks, an extremely obese woman ordered a cookie and made a point of telling the server that "it's for my husband." I have to admit that I did find it amusing and told my kids about it. If I were to do the same thing (justify a large order of food to a server or waiter) and then found out that someone had joked about it, I don't think I'd be offended.

JMHO Freelance
I don't know, I just find that kind of sad. That she was obviously so self-conscious and anxious about ordering food that she felt the need to justify it. And yeah, when people make fun of larger people, I'm sure they do find it really amusing. But it's not. It's just pointing the finger at less fortunate people and finding an excuse to laugh at them for their flaws. There's nothing funny about that, particularly when the person being laughed at is not in on the joke.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy23 View Post
I don't know, I just find that kind of sad...It's just pointing the finger at less fortunate people and finding an excuse to laugh at them for their flaws. There's nothing funny about that, particularly when the person being laughed at is not in on the joke.
Your point is well taken. That said, I don't take offense if someone pokes fun at me for one of my foibles or even gossips about me. I consider it part of human nature and expect people to do it.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #11  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Your point is well taken. That said, I don't take offense if someone pokes fun at me for one of my foibles or even gossips about me. I consider it part of human nature and expect people to do it.

F.

You might feel differently, however, if you weighed 300 pounds and lack the self esteem that you currently have!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #12  

There is nothing that I hate more than that. The thing is I used to do it myself. I would never say anything out loud but I sure would think it. Like watching the woman at Walmart slipping Queen Size panty hose into her basket on the sly and saying to myself "If I ever get that big...". Well, now I am that big and I am so totally ashamed of myself for thinking that way! My husband makes fat people jokes all the time. It really does a number on me. And if I bring it up he doesn't deny I'm big but he'll say "At least you're working on it." How does he know that other large people aren't working on it, too!

Even though it's one of the things I hate I've been trying to develop a thicker skin. You just have to. Shame and anger isn't going to produce permanent weightloss if it produces any weightloss at all.
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

In my experience, people who say things like that about others are insecure about themselves for one reason or another and that is how they make themselves feel better.
I think it's sad that comments like that are made..not just about obese people, but about anyone. I wish we could all just live and let live.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

My sister is about 100 lbs. On Pinterest the other day she pinned a pin that said "If you spent as much time working out as you did pinning to your weight loss inspiration board you wouldn't be so fat". She has never ever insulted me because of my weight, and I'm sure it wasn't directed at me, but it really hurt my feelings. People are insensitive tools sometimes.

And I have definitely been there turning down food even when I was hungry because I didn't want to look like a cow. Fat or not, it was a rude comment to make!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #15  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I actually can't stand crap like this, mostly because most of the time when they ask and I say no, I am genuinely NOT HUNGRY. I hate it when people assume that just because I'm fat that means I eat at any given opportunity to eat. I eat when I'm hungry -- that's just about it. My weight has nothing to do with it.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote