Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default I feel like im watching my life pass me by

Im 23 years old. I live in florida. Im young and live where everyone wants to vacation. Im fat and lonely. I just cant stick with a program. Im 280 lbs. Everyone around me is having fun and I feel like im watching my life pass me by. I wish I could see a psychologist but I cant afford it.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #2  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

You just need to recommit to a program. If your other ones haven't worked, try something new. Something that fits your lifestyle.

It's amazing how much more hopeful you start to feel as you get rid of some of your excess weight. Just wait until you shrink out of your first pair of pants and have to shop for a smaller pair... you don't have to lose a ton of weight to start to raise your spirits. Just start today!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #3  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I remember just moving to Florida a few years ago knowing only my bf. I was obese and 23 turning 24. I was overwhelmed with the feeling that this was it.

I totally relate to how you feel. I don't know your situation but you are more in control than you think! You can make changes and turn your life around.

Take it slow and make small changes.

If you need a pen pal to vent, you can PM me.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #4  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

I agree with kirsteng that you just need to pick a program that fits your lifestyle. Also, choose a program that is not a "diet" in the usual sense but something that can evolve into a new lifestyle. Start easy and take it step by step, accept that you can't stick to it every single day and strive to change one minuscule detail about your lifestyle, pysical activity and food choices better every day. One better new habit every day will make a huge difference by the end of the month!
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I've yo-yo'ing between slightly obese/heavily overweight and fit/healthy forever and I'm 27 now...and finally I think I've got it but I wish more than anything I could have back all the time I wasted sitting on the couch b/c I knewat the time I didn't look good and didn't want to go out w/ friends or I wore nothing but stretch yoga pants b/c they were all that fit and huge loose clothing when I went to dinner w/ my husband...I want that time back more than anything, but I don't have it so what I can do now is commit to never losing another day sitting on the couch miserable b/c I can't control my weight and I'm too tired/lazy/busy to work out.

Please don't waste your time being miserable - you're in Florida! Great Beaches, fun places, nice restaurants and the weather is worm. You can have SO much fun w/ workouts - biking, roller blading, long walks on the beach...so many possibilities.

Just start SMALL goals rather than the big picutre - I can't tell you how happy I was when I finally completed level 1 of the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels after a few weeks - it was probably a small accomplishment but meant so much to me. Set a doable goal...whether that's to stick to a certain amount of calories for a week, or work up to a walk or workout that you have trouble with. DON'T beat yourself up if you mess up or fall off, just remember it's for a lifetime and you are young and have time to enjoy your life - don't let it pass you by.

My guru Jillian Michaels - "Most people don't show up in their own lives" - DON'T LET THAT BE YOU.

Last edited by lm3898; 03-23-2012 at 08:24 AM.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #6  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

I am also 23, I am from California, and currently live in Nevada. I let my weight hold me back. I dont do things i would have done when i was skinny. I seclude myself. I hate it. But, now, im happier because i know im on the right track. I know that i wont wak e up in the morning and be thin and beautiful. But i know that if i wake up in the morning and work towards my goal i am one step closer to that. I just finished my second week, and just started my third and lost 14.5 pounds so far!

That, in itself, is inspiring. You can do this. So many people here have, its inspiring. We are all here for support. I am grateful for the support i receive, it is what keeps me strong.
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #7  

One thing I have learned about being fat is that it makes you sedentary and lack energy. That is NOT the same thing as being lazy. I am trying to take the word lazy out of my life. I'm a stay at home mom and I can tell you a thing or two about thinking your life passes you by because of your weight. Some days my house is a pigsty because I can't get up the energy to even bring a load of laundry downstairs or bend over to pick up the dust pan. But most days my house is more than clean enough for friends and family to visit at least and I know my kids are happy and healthy. A lazy person couldn't accomplish this.

Think of all the things you do accomplish and you'll realize quickly that you do not have the character deficit of "being lazy". You may have lazy days but that is not the same as being lazy. Your feelings of laziness are tied to your fatness but you are not lazy because you are fat. I know that seems like psychobabble but it really is true. It's one thing to try to change your body but changing a character defect is all but impossible if your only litmus test is the state of your body.

It is true that losing weight takes time and commitment, but so doesn't work, school, raising a family, having relationships with our significant others, hobbies etc etc etc We all think that we can balance all the rest right? That those are normal and worthwile things to do and we don't tend to feel guilty about those things do we? So why is it always about our fat? You may say though that your fatness effects all of those other things. Yes, but doesn't the amount of hours you work effect how much time you get to spend with family and friends, too? If you have kids doesn't that effect your work schedule? In other words everything in our life effects everything else in our lives. You may say, well my body is the only thing that is completely under my control, and I think you would be surprised at how much this is not true. For instance my husband, who knows I am dieting, will often have ice cream and pasta in the house. If I was in complete control of the food in my house and there fore the pontential to be eaten I would not even have those foods in my home. But because I have to take other people's food choices into consideration I do find myself eating things I normally wouldn't in an ideal atmosphere. If I do exert control over the foods in the house I am defacto controling not only my own diet but everyone elses! Talk about pressure! Or what about people who are always on the go and don't have the time for handmade meals? Other people make commitments on their time and the next thing they know they're at Dunkins because they don't have time for anything else.
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
choose a program that is not a "diet" in the usual sense but something that can evolve into a new lifestyle. Start easy and take it step by step, accept that you can't stick to it every single day and strive to change one minuscule detail about your lifestyle, pysical activity and food choices better every day. One better new habit every day will make a huge difference by the end of the month!
^^
This. Choose a plan that you can follow long term and fits in your lifestyle.

I am MUCH older than you but can so relate to watching your life go by. Don't let this happen to you. Don't one day wake up when your 41 and wonder where time has gone and feel like you missed it all like I did. Take control of YOUR life NOW!

I have always struggled with weight and hated the thought of anything remotely related to exercise. I never believed people when they said a moderate amount of exercise can do wonders for your mental health. Guess What? All those people are right. I exercise 5 days a week and I cannot tell you how much better mentally and physically I feel. Start small, taking an evening stroll, working out to a YouTube video, whatever, just move more. It really does help, I promise.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #9  
I love being a mommy!

Height: 5'3"

You're still so young, start making changes now. You have the whole rest of your life to enjoy, don't waste it! I felt the same only a few months ago, but on 1/17 I put my foot down and decided to start making changes once and for all (to enjoy a vacation to WDW in October). I weighed in at 244.5. A little more than two months later, I weigh 213. It's not easy, but many people have decided to change and have done it. None of us are special, we just have perserverance to keep going, even through the bad days. YOU have it in you too, trust me.

Don't waste anymore time, start making changes now. In a month you will feel so much better, imagine in a year from now! You're a beautiful girl, you live in a beautiful place, start enjoying your life!
GirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #10  

If you live in or near a college town, check to see if they have a psychological services center. In my college town, they do, and will see students for free and community members for very cheap (I paid $5 per visit).
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for posting this because this is how I am feeling too. I was doing so good last year and then I got lazy. But thinking about it now I am like man I woud had lost all the weight by now! But like someone said before you can't take back time, you only can learn and make changes now.
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #12  
on a mission

S/C/G: 294/restart!!!

Height: 5'1

I agree. Thanks for posting this. Have been feeling the same way too. But I finally decided to make a change 2 and a half months ago. I was tired of just watching my life go by, hiding out. Feeling ashamed of my weight. I am 24 going on 25. It was time to live. I can honestly say you can do this. Just start small. Walking, dancing in your room, cutting out fast food/junk. It's time to start living once and for all. You can do this. Don't give up, you are beautiful
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #13  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I can definitely relate this. I am 23(24 in two weeks) and up until about a year and 1/2 ago, for a year priar to that, i felt like everyone else was living life but me. I pretty much cut myself off from what little friends I did have, and yes, it was because of my weight. But one day something clicked and I was tired of seeing people have fun, while I wasted my life away in the house, eating while parked in front of the TV and Computer.

You are young and you shouldn't waste these years. I regret the time I wasted and know i'll never get it back. But the difference now is I realize it. You live in an amazing place so take advantage of it =D....

I have problems sticking to a plan as well. For a majority of my weight loss, I cut back portion sizes and moved around more. Thats it. If I had a structured diet plan I'd have gone bonkers(and it seriously gives me a new found respect for people who can do this)

Just live your life and don't let how you feel about your weight interfere with it
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Look, the weight loss might take some time. But getting involved can happen NOW. You don't have to have life passing you by.

Go somewhere, do something, join something, volunteer or visit somewhere. Even as simple and heading to the nearest library to find something to read. Air yourself out. If you crave interaction with people -- they aren't going to come trompling thru your home. You have to get out to where they are.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #15  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BREANNA ~ you are a very pretty, young lady; and there is so much out there for you to enjoy. I second, or third this advice ...

Quote:
"Choose a program that is not a "diet" in the usual sense but something that can evolve into a new lifestyle. Start easy and take it step by step, accept that you can't stick to it every single day and strive to change one minuscule detail about your lifestyle, physical activity and food choices better every day. One better new habit every day will make a huge difference by the end of the month! "

If you can't stick to a program; then make your own by just making small changes each week ~ 1) cut down the pop: replace it with water & milk; 2) cut out the junkies: replace them with fruit & a few healthy snacks 3) cut out fast foods: eat at home; 4) cut your portion sizes in half; 5) no second helpings unless it's salad; 6) add 2 veggies & a salad each day; 7) go for a walk and/or do a free exercise video from Youtube.com in your home 5-6 days a week.

Just those changes and you will lose weight & get healthier; if you make a mistake, just forgive yourself and keep going ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-23-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote