Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #1  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

Talking Quitting Smoking - Chantix

Hi Everyone! I'm pretty happy to announce that after being on Chantix for 11 days, I am 6 days cig free!!

And still losing weight, despite all of the cravings to snack, which I am very excited about. My husband is 5 days cig free on the same medicine and we are both so happy to be doing this.

I know some people may have questions about the medication and its effects, so I wanted to post this as a way to spread the word.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/142/144

Height: 5'5"

Good for you! I used Chantix to quit smoking and have been smoke free for 4 years! Keep it up. It's worth it.
JmgInMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #3  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

i have been considering it! thank you for starting this tread!

question: snacking. is there an urge? i have the self-control of a hungry squirrel, constantly on the "sea food died" ya know....

i am also developing a little bit of a ...binging (ish) thing which I am currently trying to get under control, so snacking is a big issue. do you have the constant desire to mow down? lol

any desire for the ciggarettes? i have smoked for about 10 years (i am in my mid-twenties..yes terrible) and to make it EVEN WORSE is i smoke menthols, which are proven to be harder to kick because of the flavour (yum).

i have tried the patch- which helped with the nicotene cravings, but not the oral fixation. does chantix alleviate that at all?

originally i was waiting to lose to my max, then quit smoking but i think it may be time...
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #4  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Hi Stimkovs!

There is a bit of an urge to snack. I am usually able to stop it, but lately it seems like I've been so hungry I'm in pain, so I find healthy snacks. With 3 kids we always have some kinds of fruits and veggies, yogurts, reduced fat ritz, stuff like that.

I'm 26 and my hubby is 35. I've smoked for probably 8 years and my husband, probably 15 years, but I don't know for sure.

I have been on the medicine for 14 days...maybe 13. And on day 6-7 I lost the urge to smoke. It's hard to explain, but I just put them down. When I did smoke, it wasn't satisfying anymore, so I just didn't want them. I do still have the thought, and even accidentally say, "hey, you wanna go smo.... oh, nevermind". It turns into trying to fight the habit.

I did the gum, and the patches, and cold turkey. Nothing worked, and my family was miserable because I was in a bad mood all the time. With this, it's different. I'm not edgy, cranky or fidgety. And the thoughts of wanting to go smoke have reduced considerably in the past few days.

I do want to mention that there is risk involved with these. I have been to the WebMD website and looked at every single review about the medicine, and even posted some myself. But there are a lot of people posting that this drug is dangerous and has killed people they loved. This drug actually sends a chemical to your "pleasure" area of your brain that supposedly makes the cigarettes taste bad and makes the process of smoking not so great. That being said, if you have depression of any kind, you should not take this.

I also read some posts from people who were on depression medications and the Chantix actually interfered with the other drugs, almost cancelled out the affects of the anti-depressant. Two or three people did say that their family members committed suicide on these pills. So, please take that into consideration when taking Chantix.

Also, and sorry if I'm rambling, my doctor did test my blood to make sure my liver and kidneys were functioning properly. Apparently this drug affects those, too. So be aware.

Overall I am 100% happy with it. I am still losing weight. I've lost about 5 pounds the last 2 weeks while quitting. So, I would say that if you can keep control of your eating and just be mindful, it is definitely possible to keep losing and quit smoking. We paid a lot of money, so we are very determined to quit. For 4 weeks of the medication it was $175 for each of us. And, I believe no insurance company covers it yet, but that's just what I've heard and read.

Thanks for your questions and if you think of any more, please feel free to let me know! Oh, one more side effect... yea... there's a few. It has messed with my dreams. That seems to happen to a lot of people. My friend who recommended it had the same issue. But it made the dreams seem a lot more real. It's hard to explain, but there is definitely a difference. More dreams, more often... and when you wake up, you think "wait, did that really happen?" Weird, I know.

I stopped smoking menthol's a while back. Heard some stuff that scared the snot out of me. But kept smoking the lights, so I can't tell you about that. My husband bounced back and forth when he was quitting, so I can find out... but he says the urge is gone. His dad was here, who smokes, and smoked in my hub's truck. Hubs didn't mind and didn't crave them, so I guess it's working

Last edited by BrittanieYork; 03-23-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #5  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Congratulations OP, keep it up.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #6  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Thanks! Still going strong. Today is day 9 and no cravings anymore! Still the occasional habitual thought, but I still don't want them. Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #7  
Dedicated Yogi

thanks BrittanieYork that's very helpful information!!

my doctor has suggested it- but i work in contract positions, and have been waiting to get something permanent (i work for the government and our insurance in Canada does cover it i believe), maybe i will stop waiting!

do you feel your lungs clearing up?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #8  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Hi again stimkovs. I find that I am coughing a lot less than I used to and it's only been about 10 days. I heard that it can take up to a month for you to feel better, but I have definitely can tell a difference already. My husband still coughs, but not as bad as he used to. We are still doing really well. We even had some drinks this weekend and didn't crave the smoking at all. I will keep updating and posting our progress as new things come up.

And thank you all for your support! We are so happy to finally be done smoking. And, we figured the medicine has just about paid for itself with the money we have saved on cigarettes since he smoked a pack and day and I smoked a pack every two days. Pretty exciting!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #9  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Well done on quitting! That's great. I quit just over a year ago and I feel so so so much better, I can't say it enough.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #10  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Thanks LeilaJey! I can't imagine how much better you must feel after a year! That's awesome! We are looking forward to being long-time quitters.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #11  
Dedicated Yogi

Thats fantastic! Congrats!! I wish you the best of luck, and will deffinately talk to my doctor about it again!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #12  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

I bought an e-cigarette and gave up smoking about a month ago. You won't believe the change in a month from now. I haven't been exercising for almost a year, yet I recently realized that I walk faster by about 7 minutes. I don't get tired as easily. I breath so much better and I feel like my whole breathing system is clean. My throat doesn't hurt. I added pepper to my food while I was cooking the other day and it smelled *so* good and strong --I realized then that my sense of smell is coming back and so is my taste. My house and my clothes and my hair don't smell like ashtrays. I've saved a good sum of money... Just so many good changes.

Yesterday someone was walking right next to me and he dropped a cigarette before he lit it. He didn't pick it up and my first instinct was to grab it. But then I was like, meh. I got my e-cig out of my pocket, instead. It tastes like cola, which tastes a lot better than smoke and it helped me quit drinking diet coke, too. :P
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #13  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanieYork View Post
Thanks LeilaJey! I can't imagine how much better you must feel after a year! That's awesome! We are looking forward to being long-time quitters.
Yeah it's great! Sometimes a few months ago I would think it wasn't that different until I remembered I used to cough a lot and I rarely cough now. So don't be fooled by your brain haha
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #14  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Hey All! I just wanted to send an update. It's been over 3 weeks now and I'm still not smoking!! The cravings are completely gone, I even have all my in-laws coming over for Easter and ALL of them smoke. I'm not the slightest bit worried I will want to. I have been around a couple of smokers, and it didn't bother me a bit.

On a different note: I am now hungry all the time! (or at least I think I am)... I have been trying to keep from snacking, but with no luck. That's the hardest part right now. I don't think it's necessarily trying to find something to do, or what, but the urges to snack has gone up. And, I've gained weight. I'm up about 3-4 lbs from my most recent low point. Blah! But at least I can breathe! Also, believe TOM may be here soon, I ALWAYS get this way a week before TOM.

So hopefully this will pass and I will be back to my normal, non-smoking self. Thanks for all the support!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

How long are you planning on taking the meds? What do they recommend?
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote