Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/195/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Before pictures seemed like a better idea BEFORE I took them...

I started my weight loss on Jan 8th, 2012 weighing in at 218 pounds. This morning (Feb. 13th) I am 201.0. I decided to start taking pictures (which I wish I would have done the day I started to compare). I am going to take pictures every ten pounds from now on. I was feeling good about myself this morning when I weighed in! But I'm not so sure I should have taken those pictures. ugh. Looking at them makes me feel like I havent changed at all, and I am dreaming way to big to think I can look how I want How discouraging. Just needed to vent.
vkhRN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

First off congrats on the 17 pounds down Feel proud and accomplished. For me, I didn't see any sort of difference until I had lost 70 pounds. 0.o talk about going crazy. Theres an analogy that goes around here that I think you should read. Its called "The Paper Towel Theory" I'll just copy and paste this from another board because the person explained it so well

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

So keep at it and don't let the fact that you can't see a difference discourage you. Because your body is changing, and you are losing. Good luck

Last edited by baker23; 02-13-2012 at 02:42 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/145.5/135

Height: 5ft 3

I was going to reply to this, but baker23 you really explained it in a great way. (It made me even reconsider my attitude to my weight loss hehe).

To vkhRN07, you've lost 30lb already, which is an amazing achievement in itself. This is one of the times where you have to believe in your scale and know that you have positively lost weight and you're 30lb closer to your dream of being a slimmer leaner you. Stay positive and patient, I'm sure when you take your next picture 10 or 20lb down, you'll definitely see a difference!
Em123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #4  

To both of you- thank you so much.baker23 what an awesome reply to my post. Talk about seeing my weight loss in a whole different way. That totally puts it in perspective!! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker23 View Post
First off congrats on the 17 pounds down Feel proud and accomplished. For me, I didn't see any sort of difference until I had lost 70 pounds. 0.o talk about going crazy. Theres an analogy that goes around here that I think you should read. Its called "The Paper Towel Theory" I'll just copy and paste this from another board because the person explained it so well

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

So keep at it and don't let the fact that you can't see a difference discourage you. Because your body is changing, and you are losing. Good luck
This was excellent and it does explain it so well!!!

Also, we tend not to see differences unless we seriously have something to compare it too. I took pictures every twenty pounds and I could DEFINITELY see a difference each stage (they are on my blog) and yes, you will be thankful you have the pictures on days you get discouraged! Believe me!!!! You can look at where you were before, look at where you are now (with a photo - not with a view in the mirror - but a photo) and you will see difference - in the face or in the waist, or in the thighs - somewhere. And take measurements!!!! I do that once a month too!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #6  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I took pictures when I was around 285lb and a few here and there up to where I am at now which is 260, but I can barely see a change. It is a bit discouraging, so I just dont look at mine lol. Ill compare once I get to like 200lbs.

I focus more on the fact that my clothes are a bit looser and some I cant even wear anymore because they swamp me. I keep a journal and write reminders to myself that I can go back and read for motivation on days I feel low. I know my health has improved greatly, and that is the main reason why I wanted to change my lifestyle. I tend to forget just how much pain I was in before I started my journey, so having the journal has been really helpful. I will take the health benefits before the vanity benefits any day.

Hang in there you are doing great. You're about 50lb to goal you could totally hit that by summer. Just keep up your routine and take it 5lb at a time and before you know it you will be there.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I used my before pictures to motivate me to keep going and to never look back
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #8  
learning to love myself

S/C/G: 295/ticker/169

Height: 5'10

My before pictures aren't very good. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I am WAY to embarrassed to let someone else take mine so they are in the bathroom with a cameraphone in bad lighting and I am sort of contorted to take them myself.
I won't take any more pictures until I reach at least my 25% off goal. I'm not sure if they will be any better since they will be taken the same way..

I really should work up the courage to let someone else take them with a real camera in good lightening but it's just NOT going to happen.
Kay7jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
My before pictures aren't very good. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I am WAY to embarrassed to let someone else take mine so they are in the bathroom with a cameraphone in bad lighting and I am sort of contorted to take them myself.
The only reason I have before Pictures is a few people had candid shots of me at my heaviest...most of the time I tried to avoid the camera and didn't really consider taking before pics(something I wish I did do now) But I get what your saying because theres no way I would pose for a front and size pic, in either gym clothes or bra and shorts, with someone else taking the photo...EEK...
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #10  

I just took my "before" pictures today and I am totally not stoked about them. I mean I know I look gross, but I'm thoroughly disgusted. I had my mom take them - she and my sister are the only ones that I'd ever even consider stripping down to a bra and shorts in front of. I'm anxious for the "after" pics now!
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

I did the before and after pictures in the bathroom w my computer. They are hidden in a password protected folder lol. They aren't that good either.. (bad lighting) but Im not letting any one else take these pictures. I was wearing a sports bra and biker shorts... so yea... they will just have to do!
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #12  
on a mission

S/C/G: 294/restart!!!

Height: 5'1

Lol, I took before pictures just yesterday. I am also way to embarrassed to ask anyone to take them for me. So what I did was, I got my camera phone put it on the 10 sec timer put it on something high enough to get me in and moved back far enough to get it. Yes, it takes a few snaps before you get it done but it works.
Anyway to the OP, hang in there! The pounds will start to melt off in no time and you will see the difference in the pictures! Hang in there

Last edited by MsBrightside; 02-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #13  

I am glad I took them, and I, also, have them in a private locked document on my computer . I have an iPhone, so what I do is take a video of myself and slowly turn 360 degrees, and then I take screen shots of the video to get a picture. Because I am also very embarrassed and reluctant to have anyone else see these photos. It will be nice to be able to notice progress.