General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

View Poll Results: is it important to eat lots of vegetables and fruits for losing weight?
no, you can lose weight if you eat anything only if its under your daily calorie needs 8 33.33%
it is important to eat vegetables and fruits they help.. 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #1  
chocolilly

S/C/G: check ticker

Height: 5'4

Exclamation how important is eating right?

Hi, i'm trying to lose 30 pounds in like 5 months.
Anyway I work out 4-5 days a week, do 1 hour of cardio on eliptical machine by company cybrex and burn around 500 calories.

I also do 20 minutes of weightlifting machines that target various muscles of the body from hands to legs.

My question is about eating right. I have ditched coke/ junk food like chips and chocolate bars.

I eat food that my mother makes which usually involves lentils. I dont eat salad or fruits, only vegetable I eat raw is green hot peppers. I dont drink milk, I do eat cereal but I drain out the milk since I hate it. Also, I rarely eat meat.

Am I suppose to eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits? or is this ok? just aiming to eat less than 1500 calories a day from normal every day food.

responses will be much appreciated
fatneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

For just losing weight? Or for being healthy?

Strictly speaking I suppose eating whatever so long as it is less calories than required would yield weight loss. But low cal poor nutrition can set you up for other health problems besides overweight.

I don't think the poll covers all bases but I went ahead and voting for including produce because I think a person would benefit from the nutrition.

If you aren't liking cow milk - that's fine. All animals grow up and wean.

But I don't know what you mean by "meat" -- is that all animal based stuff? Or just beef/red meat?

What's "lentils" mean?

Since mom's cooking, and your writing style, I'm guessing you might be a teen? If so, you have growing to do still so that's different nutrition needs than an adult. It's fine to lose the junky food with little nutrition but one cannot live on cereal alone. I'm hoping that's just the post and your actual foods have some more variety.

GL!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3 & 1/2

I choose that you can eat anything as long as its in your calorie range and you'll lose weight. I don't think you should do this nor do I think its good for your body..but do I think you could still lose weight on it? Yes.
PrincessAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

"I do eat cereal but I drain out the milk" sounds like Mom or Dad is fixing your breakfast for you. If you are 16 (or 14 or 10), your body needs good nutrition to grow. (And if you're older than that, your body still needs good nutrition --- fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, healthy carbs, etc etc etc.)
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5  

I think it depends. Some peoples' bodies seem to respond better to eating whole foods---whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. I've read posts from people on this forum who have said they lose weight more consistently when they eat the typical "good for you" foods.

I don't seem to have a problem losing, and I would say my diet is about 75% healthy/25 percent sweets and treats (yeah, that's way too much, but I'm trying). Even my sweets and treats, though, are organic and/or things like medjool dates, granola bars, dark chocolate, etc., so it's not like I'm eating Chips Ahoy. I don't know whether eating too much of the latter type of snacks--i.e., snacks w/ unpronounceable ingredients and preservatives--would stall weight loss.

Last edited by lin43; 02-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #6  
chocolilly

S/C/G: check ticker

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
For just losing weight? Or for being healthy?

Strictly speaking I suppose eating whatever so long as it is less calories than required would yield weight loss. But low cal poor nutrition can set you up for other health problems besides overweight.

I don't think the poll covers all bases but I went ahead and voting for including produce because I think a person would benefit from the nutrition.

If you aren't liking cow milk - that's fine. All animals grow up and wean.

But I don't know what you mean by "meat" -- is that all animal based stuff? Or just beef/red meat?

What's "lentils" mean?

Since mom's cooking, and your writing style, I'm guessing you might be a teen? If so, you have growing to do still so that's different nutrition needs than an adult. It's fine to lose the junky food with little nutrition but one cannot live on cereal alone. I'm hoping that's just the post and your actual foods have some more variety.

GL!

A.
i gave cereal example to state that I dont drink milk much and.. you know how people say its important or whatnot so i thought i would give that away. Lentils is like beans ii think I dont know. Its pakistani food dish :/

When i say meat i mean all animal based stuff

--
thank you everyone for responses
fatneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I don't think weightloss is a simple calories in versus calories out. I find I can lose more with eating more calories if I cut down the carbs.

I think vegtables and fruit are very important for your general health, not just weight loss. You need to get vitamins.

I'm doing Atkins, so I really watch my carbs and kinda watch my calories and I still lose a lot. I eat a lot of veggies and meat and some cheese right now and in the next phase and the one after I'll start adding back in things like fruit and nuts.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #8  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

In all honesty I'm a strong believer in that weight loss is 80% diet, and 20% exercise. Take marathon runners, for example. There are long distance runners out there who kick my butt- but have a good 20-30 lbs on me (my mom is a good example of this, actually) - and I KNOW they do their fair share of exercise.
Yes, calories in vs. calories out is important, but if you aren't fueling your body with the nutrients it needs, you 1. Won't be able to power through your workouts as well anyways. 2. Will be more hungry because your body will be hungry for NUTRIENTS and 3. I really think that your body will just function better and be more willing to let go of extra pounds if you are eating the right foods. Be good to your body and it will be good to you!

Of course, fruits and veggies are always great- but if you're a picky eater you can make other healthy choices too- whole grains instead of refined, for example. Nuts instead of cookies for a snack.. Since you don't eat animal
Products, maybe you could try some soy products to get your protein in? Beans are another great healthy choice.

(p.s. I hate cows milk- love almond milk. Just in case it's something you may want to try.)

Good luck!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #9  
CarsonsMama

S/C/G: 192.4/*see ticker*/150

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAmy View Post
I choose that you can eat anything as long as its in your calorie range and you'll lose weight. I don't think you should do this nor do I think its good for your body..but do I think you could still lose weight on it? Yes.
I also chose this answer and I agree with what Princess says....I also think we SHOULD be eating Fruits and Veggies but technically you don't NEED them to lose weight...
mhuppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #10  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

If you google this question, you'll get lots of hits that, even if they are presenting a certain diet, will have a disclaimer that, bottom line, it is the reduced caloric intake that ultimately causes the weight loss.

Is it "good" and "beneficial" to include fruits/veg into your life? Sure. Will they fill you up and give you a big bang for your calorie? Yes. Then again, protein can give you a big calorie bang as well (except for nuts which you get few of for high calories).

If you are not in charge of what you're eating - that is, you are presented with your mom's cooked meals - eat less. You may find, however, that by eating less of her cooking, you'll get hungry...and maybe you'd like to fill that hunger void with something that gives you the bulk without the calories, and that just may be experimenting with some fruit/veg to see what you like. Its great that you've given up the junk. You also may find by eliminating the crap you'll lose weight more successfully.

What is a concern tho is that you fuel your body for the exercise that you're doing. Don't set yourself up for failure. Good luck.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 02-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It depends on what your goals are. If you just want to get skinny and feel horrible, eat whatever you want.

If you're interested in changing your health for the better and being a fit healthy person, it's all that matters!

I hope you're aiming for the later. In that case... a well balanced diet of whole foods is important.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote