Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 306.6/292.4/150

Height: 5' 9"

Question Fatigue is killing my workouts!

I have been working out on a consistent basis since 6/1/11. Things had been going pretty well, but recently, I've found it hard to endure finishing workouts. I mean, I do them, but by about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through, I'm beat. And I used to be able to combine weightlifting and cardio, but not any more. I've had to split them up. And last week I just took a week off, thinking I'd been overtraining, but when I got on the elliptical yesterday, I was right back in the same place.

I am diabetic, but I'm careful about my eating and I know my sugars are ok. I'm also a veteran of Iron Deficiency Anemia, but I know those symptoms VERY WELL, and fatigue is really the only one I have.

If I were comparing me now at 50 to me at 40, I could understand it. But I'm only looking back a little over 6 months and somehow I doubt I've aged all that much in such a short time.

Any suggestions or ideas or experience along these lines much appreciated.

Thank you,

Janet
tec4cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

please consider contacting your dr. A change like that could indicate various problems. Do you have fatigue all the time or just when working out? Take care of yourself.

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

I agree wholeheartedly with Rie. Since there are a multitude of reasons for your symptoms, (most of them are a simple fix) a good chat and work-up with your doctor is probably the best thing you can do.

Last edited by Jane; 02-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #4  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Janet, I have recently had lots of fatigue (last 6 months as well) and did what Jane and Rie suggested and actually told my doctor. Many tests later, all is normal. So I chuckled when I read their responses. BTW, I am very jaded when it comes to the medical profession and their ability to diagnose anything so take my comment with a grain of salt. And I would grudgingly admit Rie and Jane are right that you should make sure your tests all come back normal.

Now, onto your question. Since you are anemic, I'd definitely get your iron level checked. Perhaps with the building of muscles with your workouts, you might have thrown that number into a loop. So I guess I would say talk to your dr. Secondly, look at your protein intake. I noticed I had major muscle fatigue when exercising (and subsequently for hours afterwards) last spring because I have limited choices of protein options. When I upped my intake the major quad fatigue ceased completely. BTW, my quad fatigue was on the elliptical as well. Scary at it is for us 3FCs, the nutritional aspect of our food intake is really important. Considering I'd rather on dark chocolate and mochas, that is a tough one for me to admit as well.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 02-04-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 306.6/292.4/150

Height: 5' 9"

Thank you for everyone's feedback. Sounds like a trip to the doc's is in order. Appreciate it!
tec4cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote