Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Makeup - Never Worn It - How to do it?

So I'm late 20's and I've never worn much (any) makeup aside from a little foundation to cover 'blemishes' and possibly some lip gloss. But putting on eye makeup scares the crap out of me - I'm 99% sure I'd look like a clown.

I'm willing to spend some money on it - I really just want a 'natural' style that I can do in a few minutes in the morning that looks overall flattering but doesn't scream "omg she's wearing makeup!!!".

Does anyone have a recommendation on the kind of place to go for a decent makeup consultation or how to get started? I'm a little embarrassed to talk to anyone in 'real life' about it as I feel I should know how to wear makeup and most of the people I know think I don't wear makeup because I'm casual, not because I have NO IDEA how even if/when I want to. So I'd rather not do a makeover with a friend (also I just moved to a new city and don't know anyone here that well!)

I've been pretty nervous about going for a professional makeup consultation because I'm not a typical 'girly-girl' - I've never done the spa / massage / mani / pedi thing, and have no particular desire to - but I would like to be able to put on appropriate, subtle flattering makeup for special occasions. I also worry a professional makeover place feels like they need to make sure you 'got your money's worth' by going overboard on the makeup. I'm not getting married, I just want to look natural but put together.

Lotsa words, but to sum up, any recommendations? I feel a little silly asking, but I'm just not sure where to start. I've googled tons of Youtube videos about makeup application, but that doesn't help me pick flattering colors etc etc. Warm vs Cool skin tones?? No idea.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

There's a ton of you tube videos out there. I don't have a name or anything, but I know I've seen some really good ones about makeup.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #3  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

YouTube, definitely. A few years ago I started trying to learn the whole makeup thing. I love MAC and they do a great makeover. My daily face is usually foundation applied with a beauty blender sponge (amazing product!), primer potion on my eyes, a nude eyeshadow with a light brown in the crease, goldish white eyeshadow to highlight my brow bone, I mini cat eye with black liquid liner, lots of mascara, a little blush, and lip gloss. Takes me about 10 minutes.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 161/143/120

Height: 5'1.5"

I would also recommend going to any makeup store in the mall and doing a consult. Most places won't charge, and they're good about helping you create the look you want. Granted, the products they'll use tend to be more expensive, but it might be worth it to get the advice!
shadetree20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

If you go for a consult stress how much you are looking for a nude/natural look. I would suggest powder make ups (like bare minerals or other loose powders) which wont leave lines or anything if you don't perfectly apply it. I wear powders and it takes me about 2 minutes to do my basic makeup. My sister does Mary Kay and I have been to way too many makeup parties. lol But if you came to one of her parties she would suggest a base foundation, a little warmth for your cheeks and a natural eye shadow with light eyeliner. A little goes a long way.
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Do you have a Sephora near you? They do free makeup applications, and they have some reasonably priced brands.

Like KayNicole says, be very clear that you're looking for a soft natural look.

Good luck - you can do it, and look great!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I thought I was the only one! I am 38, and for the most part have never worn makeup. I've been thinking lately that I could use a little enhancement and thought I might try makeup but didn't have a clue where to start. I guess I'll try YouTube also.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/170/140

Ulta is also a good place to go for makeup application advice. They'll like do a little of it and they guide you through the rest so that you learn while you're there. Also they have a good range of inexpensive to expensive brands.
huds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I went with a BareMinerals starter kit and just kept it from there -- refill what empties and change the lip color or eyecolor a bit. It last a long while and doesn't clog my pores. Also comes with a how-to dvd in some of the kits.

Sephora.com has it too. Sometimes drugstore.com. Depending on where you get it sometimes the "get started" kit has slightly diff contents.

I don't much bother with the brush shampoo -- just use my regular shampoo. I'd rather have the skin care stuff than that. So poke around and have fun!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-31-2012 at 12:59 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #10  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

I agree with the you tube ideas, thats where I learned a lot of cool ways to put on makeup. Just search for make-up tutorials and a million will come up. As far as shops to buy make-up MAC is my favorite. It may be a bit more costly but the quality is really good. Good luck experimenting, it can be so much fun having different looks.
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

As the others have said, Youtube is a great place for makeup tutorials. If you want an in-person lesson I would highly recommend going to somewhere like a Bare Escentuals Boutique or Counter if you have one accessible. I used to work in one as a BA and a big part of the job was helping people select colors and teaching them how to apply the makeup. Because learning to apply it is one of the main goals of the appointment, they have you do half of your face with coaching from the BA. There is no charge for the appointment and no minimum purchase required. Other brands will also help you customize a look and I'm sure that if you ask the person helping you they will give you tips for application as well.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Makeup is my obsession. That being said, YouTube is a great place to begin and I strongly recommend looking at tutorials & reviews by Gossmakeupartist, Makeupgeek and Emilynoel83.
I am a former Bare Escentuals user. I switched to Smoky Mountain Minerals about 6 years ago now and LOVE them! They don't contain bismuth oxycholoride like BE, which can irritate your skin causing itching, redness and shineyness. You can check them out at http://smmbeauty.com They have discount codes every week when you sign up for their email newsletter and they also have FREE shipping!
Hope this helps
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

I don't wear a lot of make up either, but when I do, I buy the high-end kind from the drug store. For the most part, I can't afford department store brands, and I (personally) haven't noticed much of a quality difference once you get to the decent drugstore brands (and the price difference is huge).

I guess I'm different because no one ever "taught" me how to do make-up, I just kind of worked out what worked for me. I'm kind of minimalist like you. I DO think eye make up can make you look awake and polished, though. Usually I wear foundation, a little smudged black eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. It takes me about 3 minutes. Sometimes I sweep on a teeeeeeeny bit of blush or a neutral eye shadow. Put on eye shadow, then eye liner, then mascara.

I think eyeliner without mascara looks weird, but that's just me. Also, for control and ease of application, I know it seems like the liquid would be easier at first, but trust me it's not. Go with a good pencil. I even like the ELF ones that they sell for $1. ELF also sells a "felt-tipped" eye liner "pen" that is pretty good if you like the look of liquid eyeliners and is easier to control than that teensy little brush.

At first, though, if you're thinking you don't really want anyone to notice/think you might look weird, why don't you just try adding some mascara to your lipgloss? Then, gradually add other stuff if you think it's necessary.
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

If you feel totally lost, just go with the basics - go to a Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier counter on a slow day and take your time. Let someone show you what to do and buy what you feel comfortable wearing. Both brands are pretty well known for a more natural look so you won't end up looking clownish.

You tube is great, but I think most of those 'blend 400 products' type videos would be overwhelming for someone just trying to grasp the basics. My personal favorite videos are by Pixiewoo.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Makeup is my obsession. That being said, YouTube is a great place to begin and I strongly recommend looking at tutorials & reviews by Gossmakeupartist, Makeupgeek and Emilynoel83.
I am a former Bare Escentuals user. I switched to Smoky Mountain Minerals about 6 years ago now and LOVE them! They don't contain bismuth oxycholoride like BE, which can irritate your skin causing itching, redness and shineyness. You can check them out at http://smmbeauty.com They have discount codes every week when you sign up for their email newsletter and they also have FREE shipping!
Hope this helps
Thanks for that info. I appreciate the specifics for who to look for at YouTube. YouTube often has thousands of people who just want their 5 minutes of fame but really have nothing to offer...finding the gems in there can be time consuming. I appreciate that you posted those suggestions. Thank you.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote