Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Cold and scared :)

Is anyone else cold all the time? I never used to be like this, and have a feeling it might be the weight loss, but I feel cold all of the time. I crank up the heat, put on sweaters etc and am still cold... Would love to hear if anyone else is going through this...
My scale is showing 207 in the morning now - will have a more official weigh in on Monday at my doctor's office but am starting to see Onederland approaching and feel both excited and terrified! It's been a long time since I have seen that... I'm frankly still excited to be a number that starts with a 2! Part of me wants to cut way down on food and up my exercise and see the number sooner, but I've been pretty slow and methodical about this and think it's a better idea just to stay on my usual plan, so it could be a month or two away.
I think there's something psychological about my fear - as long as I weigh over 200 pounds, I can be fairly dismissive in my mind about compliments on weight loss and think "oh, well I do weigh over 200 lbs..." But going below that number I lose that defense.
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

When my aunt lost a substantial amount of weight, she was always cold. We would go to visit her and be melting because the heat would be turned so high. Its been a few years since then and I think shes back to normal now, but for the first year or two she was wearing sweaters all the time!

As for the weight loss, I would stay on your usual plan. Since you are already a little nervous about going below 200, it might be easier to deal with if you do it slow and steady. Good job with your current progress!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

ME TOO....Last winter, I went outside without a coat all the time. Now, I am freezing all the time. I actually wear a shawl/scarf in my office. Thought it was just me...
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Me too. I've been colder than usual. Maybe my fat was keeping me warm.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/181/135

Height: 5'7''

Last year I would wear one sweater and be warm, sometimes too warm.
I lost over 30 pounds since then.
This winter I have to wear a thin sweater under a bulky sweater.
And I also bought some long johns to wear under my slacks.

OMG... If I wear just jeans outdoors in this cold weather...I freeze!
I also have to wear either down slippers or genuine furry sheepskin slippers in the house.

And you can also buy furry alpaca slippers on ebay. They keep your feet the warmest.
When I sit and watch TV I have to put a knit cap on my head..
JEEZ...it's a chore to just keep warm now.

I run my humidifier also. The moist air keeps me warmer.

OH, another thing, I bought very fuzzy pajama outfits.
And I added a down comforter to my bed. And I bought a down jacket and a down vest at the thrift store.

LOL...I go every week to the thrift shops just to find the warmest clothing they have.

And its a good thing my feet shrunk and I have more room in my boots. Because I have to wear wool hunting socks now. My toes freeze outdoors if I don't.

A guy at the sports store told me if you are cold, it's because you are not dressed warm enough. Dress in layers.

Last edited by MARLA26; 01-21-2012 at 07:15 PM.
MARLA26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #6  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

I was JUST talking with my partner about this. I'm all snugged up to the fireplace, and I'm wearing two pairs of flannel pjs, two pairs of socks, slippers, a hoodie, and a blanket. Wearing all this, I'm close to the size I was 100 pounds ago!

Breaking that 200 number barrier was a very big deal for me, too. I had to constantly remind myself that it really is just a number. 202 is awesome compared to 203, etc.

Nice work! Now go drink some hot tea.
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Freefall - I've found that I'm pretty much the same this winter as I always was - the last to put on a jacket most of the time - except for my fingers. I think we adjust, though, because in the fall I was worried a bit because I was the first to grab a jacket when I was camping with friends. I think my body got used to the new situation - except for my fingers. Fortunately that's only a problem if I have to do a lot of snow removal, and mittens are warmer than gloves.

As for the "safety" of being heavy - let it go, girl! You have done an amazing job of losing weight and getting healthy. You have been an inspiration to me and I want you to remember that you are worth feeling happy and proud of getting things under control so well. You deserve to get compliments. If there is one thing I've learned in this past year, it's to just say, "Thanks for noticing and mentioning it to me. It means a lot," when someone compliments me on my weight loss. i used to say things like, "Well, I only did what I should have done a long time ago," or "Wow, 90 pounds - how big was I before, anyway?" JUST ACCEPT THE COMPLIMENTS. It's as simple as that. With grace and humility. And be busting with pride inside every single time. Remember how it feels every time you are tempted to revert back to old habits.

You've done great so far - I know that pattern will continue. Can't wait to see your ticket go into Onederland.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have concluded that it's because with weight loss we have slowed down our metabolism. It's like an old person and how they will wear a sweater when everyone else is wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I did some googling on it as I too am freezing all the time and that seems to be the concensus. It's one of body's lovely coping mechanisms with trying to conserve energy by us burning more calories than we consume... our bodies aren't smart enough to understand our efforts.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

No... for me that's a clue my thyroid meds need checking. I only get that cold when that needs adjustment.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
No... for me that's a clue my thyroid meds need checking. I only get that cold when that needs adjustment.

A.
The thyroid is such a tricky gland. I had a veery under active thyroid, but I didn't have a lt of the classic symptoms and some of my symptoms we're opposite you would expect! Like I was hot, not cold. It raised my blood pressure, didn't lower it. It gave me headaches, but didn't mess with my menstrual cycle timing. Etc.

I didn't even know until my thyroid meds needed adjusting. I was confused as to how my blood pressure was creeping up.... It was my thyroid!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #11  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I also am cold all the time. Even last summer I was cold in the house and was wearing a sweater- and I live in the south!
I do believe my body is trying to figure out where all that insulation went. Also I have noticed that if I don't eat enough calories (under eat by accident) I will feel colder.
As long as your getting enough nourishment and water I would not worry about it.
And you are going to the Dr. next week- they will make sure your blood pressure is normal.
Congratulations on onederland. You have done an awesome job!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I have concluded that it's because with weight loss we have slowed down our metabolism. It's like an old person and how they will wear a sweater when everyone else is wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I did some googling on it as I too am freezing all the time and that seems to be the concensus. It's one of body's lovely coping mechanisms with trying to conserve energy by us burning more calories than we consume... our bodies aren't smart enough to understand our efforts.
I really think this is the reasons so many of us are cold now.

I thought it was less body fat to keep me warm, but once I increased my calories to maintenance level I wasn't cold any more. I'm not quite as warm as I was when I was at my starting weight, but I warm enough to run out into the freezing snow in just a hoodie and not feel cold!

It's certainly refreshing after months spent under blankets.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #13  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I am also cold often, but it's not because of weight loss. Lord, I am at my heaviest weight ever at this point. A year ago I was diagnosed with Raynaud's Disease and that makes me very susceptible to the cold. Even when others are warm, I often am freezing. It's not fun, but I am learning how to live with it.
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

When I lost weight 2 years ago, I was ALWAYS cold. Last winter, being back up, I wasn't cold at all.

But "cold" in California is most likely very different than cold in other places
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Yup, I'm cold, too. I always used to be the one wearing short sleeves all winter, NEVER wearing sweaters to work because I'd be too hot, and now I'm actually cold. I even sleep with a heating pad on a timer to warm the bed up.

Here's hoping I'll be at maintenace next winter and it will get better then.

Don't stress about getting under 200. It's still just a number, and it only has power if you give it that power.

Last edited by Riddy; 01-22-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote