Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Exercise without impact?

I've strained my muscles and it's recommended that I rest for 2 weeks. I was finally getting into the groove of working out. Is there anything I can do in the mean time? Like arms?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Can you walk? ride a stationary bike? yoga?
If your upper body is ok, you can do some weights.
Or just rest for two weeks, that'd be ok too
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Which muscles did you strain? If you have strained something that generally means you shouldn't use them (unless it's in a therapeutic/restorative capacity), which is different from "no impact."

For example, if I strain some muscles in my leg I probably should work on stretching and healing and maybe shouldn't try to use them (even in swimming, biking, etc). If I have knee pain, I probably shouldn't do high-impact activity, like running, and can substitute it for biking, swimming, etc.

Giving us an idea of which muscles you strained could help us come up with alternatives. Though, caveat, asking those questions to a physical therapist would be better. As many injuries as I've had and as many times as I've been in PT this is really different from actually being able to give sound advice on the subject
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

It's my calf muscle. Sorry for the ambivalence. I was trying to write it really quick before my break was over. I've been doing RICE (as much as I can considering I still have to work) on the calf. Yoga didn't hurt it the day I tried it (before I realized it wasn't super DOMS like I thought) but if rest is the best way of healing, I ought to do that. Right now rest and compression have been helping lots.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #5  

There is an exercise called Bodyflex that you do sitting.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #6  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

You can find upper body workouts (done while sitting) on YouTube. I didn't find any that I'd want to do over and over but it was something.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote