Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

Default NSV - Checking out at the grocery store

I went grocery shopping today to stock up on food this week. I got my staples - fresh veggies & fruit, organic chicken, flat out wraps, light tuna pouches.

When I was putting my groceries on the conveyer, the teenage girl in front of me made the comment of how healthy I eat. I laughed & said that I tried. So the checkout lady asked me (rather bluntly) "You on a diet?" I tell her no; that this is the way I eat now. That doesn't satisfy her and she asks "yeah, but how long you been doing it for?" I explain 6 months, but this is what I will be doing for the rest of my life. It's not a diet in the sense that she thinks.

She tells me she wants to lose 40 pounds and asks me what all I eat (even though my groceries are right there lol). I start telling her that fresh fruit and veggies take up a good portion of my calories and I try to include lean protein at lunch and dinner. She gets a glazed look once she realizes that it's not a quick fix and that it is work. I try to offer on the run options (I carry portioned out almonds in my purse and will carry fruit/veggies in there as well) but I think she was not down with those options.

Walking out I realize that it is all about choices. I made the choice that I want to eat cleanly (well, as clean as I can right now). I make the choice everyday to eat my veggies and fruit and to say no to foods that led me to an all time high of 250. Am I always successful? No! It is still a struggle for me (especially on weekends) but most of the time I can say I made the right choice and that feels good!

My NSV for this week is celebrating the choices that I have made to get me here (40 pounds gone!), knowing that it was ME, and that will carry me to more!

Last edited by KatTheAmazon; 11-14-2011 at 09:40 PM.
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #2  

Default Congrats!

Wow...congrats on the 40 pounds down. Reading your post made me think of myself and the choices that I llike to make when I'm eating properly. The funniest thing about it is I truly enjoy my fruit and veggies and nuts. I'm just getting started (yet again) at an all time high of more than I like to admit to myself (over 300lbs). But your post gave me some much needed motivation, so THANKS!
SimplySmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #3  

There should be a 'like' button for this post.....it's a good one!
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Congrats! That is the right mindset! You will be successful because of it!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Very inspiring post. And congrats on the 40 pound loss. AWESOME!
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/243.8/146

Height: 5'8"

Way to go, Kat!! It's hard to come to the realization that there is no quick fix. Maybe your words of wisdom will help that cashier make that realization. Words have a way of sticking with people. Keep up the good work!
noelle8310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #7  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Oh, I think the cashier will let it sink in. She saw your stash, she knew you meant what you said and that it is working for you. Could be you inspired her! Way to go!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote