Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Default Maintenance - Do I need to do this forever?

I see the logic of the maintenance (separating fats and carbs etc).

What I'm wondering if I have to keep this going forever (eg. no carbs at lunch), or can I just move to healthy eating/keeping an eye on calories? Even in the Tran book he refers to going on "stabilization" (page 109) for "as long as possible".

I plan to eat this way for a few months, to ensure I get the benefits of the changes to my pancreatic function, but wonder if anyone has moved to just being more aware of what they eat instead of the structured recommendations?

Thanks
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGirl View Post

What I'm wondering if I have to keep this going forever (eg. no carbs at lunch), or can I just move to healthy eating/keeping an eye on calories? Even in the Tran book he refers to going on "stabilization" (page 109) for "as long as possible".

I plan to eat this way for a few months, to ensure I get the benefits of the changes to my pancreatic function, but wonder if anyone has moved to just being more aware of what they eat instead of the structured recommendations?

Thanks
Good question, I will be interested in the answers.
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #3  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Those of us who are very sensitive to carbs, are insulin resistant, have elevated A1C levels (diabetes indicator) or were just dealt the wrong hand regarding genetics, will most likely have to live this way. The proper food combining (ie, the never eat fat and carbs together) concept has been around for some time. I've been trying to live that way for a very long time but I had too many things stacked against me. I am so praying that I have reprogrammed my pancreas and that living the maintenance lifestyle will be my key to living a long, happy and healthy life.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:

Thanks
Unless you want to gain back the weight that you just worked so hard to lose, yeah, maintenance is pretty much for the rest of your life. But once you're on it for a while, it really doesn't feel like you're missing out on anything...you get more creative, it starts feeling more intuitive, and you can have all the carbs and fats together that you want on your cheat day.

I tried to outsmart Phase 4 for a while by just watching what I was eating but it didn't work...the lbs started creeping back on, and I ended up having to go back on Phase 1 for a couple weeks and phasing off again. This time around, I'm going by the book...you can't outsmart your hormones, and it's far less tedious to follow the maintenance plan than it is to try and keep track of what you're eating.

Dr. Tran's been doing this for a long time, and every phase of IP works as long as you follow it as written. Just my two cents, but I gotta say, it's worth it to stay a size 2. And I can still play with my friends Ben & Jerry one day a week.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #5  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

I think it depends your metabolism - I am very sensitive to carbs, so I have to watch very closely, I was told by my coach that I will have to exercise a little more those days that I get more carbs.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #6  
IP Start Date: 2-18-11

S/C/G: 130/104/110 PH 3

Height: 5'0" Age: 46 (But I'm 29 in my heart & soul)

I agree with getting my groove back, if you want to stay at the weight/size you are, then maintenance is for life.
Coloradodivegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'4"

I've only just finished week 2 on phase 1, but I was wondering what maintenance is like? I thought you phased everything back in? Or are there things that will always be off limits? (because that is something that I know I can never do with bread and pasta)
Just wondering....
bisous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #8  

Sorry - I should have been clearer . I know I wont be able to go back to my regular (McDs 3 times a week, full bags of microwave popcorn a few days a week, candy every second day, blizzards after the kids' games each Sat).

Before this I had been eating SO badly and had put on 30 pounds over the past 5 years (no wonder with my horrible eating patterns). I have a good metabolism (or did prior to IP, I'm hoping it's the same or better) and thank goodness because the way I ate - yikes.

This was my first diet and worked SO well, so really the question is can I (after a few months of strict maintenance) just make sure I'm taking in less than I'm burning off.

The "imbalance" of this plan makes a lot of sense to me during the weightloss stages and I agree that food combining makes sense and I do plan to follow phase 4 strictly for a few months. I've learned to eat more veggies and make better choices on carbs.

My only question is, if I'm watching my calories after I have lost the weight, is a baked potato with butter, or a panini with cheese and mayo destined to always be a "cheat". It's that mindset that I may have to adjust to, but I'm not sure I understand why if I'm able to stay within my acceptable weight range (especially with more exercise).

Thanks so much for discussing this with me !
Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I think this is a very good question, because if I have a baked potatoe, I most certainly will want fat on it (butter, margarine or sour cream) or will that be a cheat day only? Same with a sandwich, how do eat a sandwich with no fat on it? The fat free crap is all artificial chemicals, the lite or 2% stuff I can deal with. I am interested because, the fact that my bowels haven't been good on this diet and never and I mean never have I had trouble in that arena. I think we need fat and fruit. That is why I am phasing off, my body is missing it. I haven't had antibiotics in years and I am on them now for a bad UTI, I have had the big "C" and the big hemorroids and these were not an issue before this very restrictive diet. So, maintenance people chime in and let us know if that stuff improves on maintenance. I wish people who did this program 2 or 3 years ago would chime in, so we can see some long-term results/
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #10  
1Sunny1

S/C/G: 241/218/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Oh! Very good topic. I would love to hear frm some of the members who have been doing this for a few years as well. Thanks for the thread!!
1Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #11  

I am starting Monday. I am also worried. I want to loose it but I also want to be able to eat dinner with friends and have a drink if I had a bad day. I thought u only stayed on maintenance a short time. True u can't go crazy that Is what got us here. I do want to be able to enjoy food again
respiratory38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Sorry - I should have been clearer . I know I wont be able to go back to my regular (McDs 3 times a week, full bags of microwave popcorn a few days a week, candy every second day, blizzards after the kids' games each Sat).

This was my first diet and worked SO well, so really the question is can I (after a few months of strict maintenance) just make sure I'm taking in less than I'm burning off.

My only question is, if I'm watching my calories after I have lost the weight, is a baked potato with butter, or a panini with cheese and mayo destined to always be a "cheat". It's that mindset that I may have to adjust to, but I'm not sure I understand why if I'm able to stay within my acceptable weight range (especially with more exercise).

Thanks so much for discussing this with me !
If you adjust to that mindset, you WILL be successful. The "why" for me on thinking that way is that it keeps me from backsliding. I'm not an emotional eater, but dangit, I like good food! This was my first diet too...and my last. The most important lessons I learned after a year on maintenance, with a brief return to Phase 1 (and having to phase off again):

If you follow Phase 4 strictly for say, 4-6 months, those habits become intuitive, and keeping the weight off doesn't feel like "work." When you start to deviate, you'll find that your pancreas is verrrry forgiving in the beginning, and it's easy to make the mistake of thinking you can get away with a lot. But...eventually your hormones adjust to what you're getting away with, and you gradually get away with less and less, which is when the pounds start to creep back on.

By the time you get to maintenance, you know (hopefully) that it's not just about "calories in, calories out," but that's still a big part of the equation for sure. Can you get away with occasionally having a glass of wine at lunch with the girls or indulging in a baked potato with butter and sour cream on a "non-cheat" day if you go to the gym and burn it off? Probably. But there's so much variation in body types and metabolic rates, it's a good idea to give yourself a solid baseline period FIRST...then you'll be able to determine where the balance lies for you.

And there's always the option of swapping your big breakfast for a big lunch or dinner...instead of having proteins, carbs, and fats for breakfast, do it later in the day, and go with protein and fats for breakfast (hello, bacon and eggs!), and protein and carbs for your other meal.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilivonshtupp View Post
If you adjust to that mindset, you WILL be successful. The "why" for me on thinking that way is that it keeps me from backsliding. I'm not an emotional eater, but dangit, I like good food! This was my first diet too...and my last. The most important lessons I learned after a year on maintenance, with a brief return to Phase 1 (and having to phase off again):

If you follow Phase 4 strictly for say, 4-6 months, those habits become intuitive, and keeping the weight off doesn't feel like "work." When you start to deviate, you'll find that your pancreas is verrrry forgiving in the beginning, and it's easy to make the mistake of thinking you can get away with a lot. But...eventually your hormones adjust to what you're getting away with, and you gradually get away with less and less, which is when the pounds start to creep back on.

By the time you get to maintenance, you know (hopefully) that it's not just about "calories in, calories out," but that's still a big part of the equation for sure. Can you get away with occasionally having a glass of wine at lunch with the girls or indulging in a baked potato with butter and sour cream on a "non-cheat" day if you go to the gym and burn it off? Probably. But there's so much variation in body types and metabolic rates, it's a good idea to give yourself a solid baseline period FIRST...then you'll be able to determine where the balance lies for you.

And there's always the option of swapping your big breakfast for a big lunch or dinner...instead of having proteins, carbs, and fats for breakfast, do it later in the day, and go with protein and fats for breakfast (hello, bacon and eggs!), and protein and carbs for your other meal.
Thanks, that's really helpful, and I appreciate your experience after a year (congrats!).

I can see how continuing with the set structure for a number of months before fiddling makes sense - I hope to be able to adjust to feeling like I'm choosing good foods, instead of feeling that there are foods I'm "not able" to have (or have together) when presented with them.

I really do welcome the chance to hear from those that have been living "normally" after IP - my normal has adjusted, but I really don't want to be perpetually feeling like I'm dieting even when I'm at (or below) my ideal weight .
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't know that I could do this "forever", of course I am just in phase 1, but I am having horrible headaches and it is just the end of my first week!
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Molly, the headaches are from the sugar etc leaving your system, they will be gone after your second week. I have migraines, I had a very rough first week but haven't had another headache in the three months I have been on program.

I know I will never be able to eat bread except for Ezekiel bread because I haven't had bread for the past 10 years , before I realized it was wheat that was causing my problem I weighed over 200 pounds at 5'1".
Bella I have been having the same problem with the big C but I am sure that will be cured as soon as I can add fruit back, what they say about an apple a day is true.
I looked up what veggies are helpful for constipation and cabbage is one of the best so I am going to add a lot more of that while I am in stage 1.
The biggest thing I will have to watch will be sugar as that will sneak back in increasing amounts before you even notice.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote