Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Default HELP...I'm Hungry

I am a calorie counter and have had good success with losing. I pretty much eat whatever I want but try to limt my calories to 1200 to 1500 a day. I'm sometimes over and sometimes under but it works for me...

For the last couple of days, I have been STARVING. I don't believe in depriving myself so I eat a low calorie snack when I feel hungry. The problem is I am now hungry all of the time. I've increased my calorie count to about 1600-1750 and it still hasn't stopped.

My exercise hasn't changed much (I exercise 6 days a week for about 40-45 minutes a day- cardio). I usually do a 3-mile Walk Away the Pounds tape. However, I added a Tae Bo cardio tape about 3 weeks ago that I do 2x a week now (about 40 min.)

Am I doing something wrong? Drinking water doesn't help. I've tried to focus on more protein and fiber. Last night I had an EXCELLENT sweet potato with a mexican turkey dish. When I get hungry I snack on: Yogurt, raisins, bananas, 100 calorie trail mix (with nuts and raisins), 100 calorie fiber bars, etc. Yesterday, I intentionally upped my calories to about 1800 (which is high for me)...I had a great shrimp dish with whole wheat pasts and broccoli, snap peas, pepers and mushrooms. It didn't help...I was hungry in 2 hours.

I don't like feeling hungry and I feel hungry literally every 30 minutes. Any advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by free1; 10-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

1200 with that much exercise...no wonder you're hungry, lol.

Hopefully someone else can weigh in (pun intended ) but I think you're suppose to add your exercise calories back into your daily limit, aren't you? Some people do, some people don't.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #3  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I was also going to say no wonder youre hungry! I do a WATP dvd 4 times a week, c25k 3 times a week, and ive just added another dvd... some days I do a BL one, some days I do a JM one.. And I'm eating 1500 to 1800.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #4  

Those snacks need to go and be replaced with some healthy food. You are eating so much processed carbs and they are keeping the sugar monster busy keeping you hungry. Snack on an apple with a string cheese or tablespoon of peanut butter, veggies and hummus, Greek Yogurt and fruit, nuts and fruit. Dried fruit like raisins are concentrated sugar. You are far better off eating grapes than raisins.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #5  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I personally fill in the gaps with a cup of coffee or tea. Or I always keep a bag of carrots along in case I need that crunch. Sometimes those 100 calorie popcorn bags help me too in the afternoon provided I don't shove them in my mouth by the handful!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I'm agree with PreciousMissy - with that much exercise in your life, you probably have room for more calories in your diet, while sustaining weight loss.

I am the same height as you, and when I was the size you are at now, with similar (maybe even a little less) exercise, I was losing pretty well (about 1lb/week) at 1600-1700 calories a day, which is a pretty generous amount.

I suggest you up your calories - eat more of your healthy foods, a balance of macronutrients and fiber - and see if it helps address the hunger while allowing you to keep losing the way you want.

Remember to give any change in your eating plan at least 2 weeks - preferably 4 or so - to evaluate whether it's working - any shorter time scale like that and it's hard to really draw meaningful conclusions.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

I find that soup helps me. There are some great organic canned soups out there, and you can get some without all the sodium. If it doesn't seem filling enough, add some black beans to it. Lots of fiber and protein. For snacks, maybe have some toasted whole wheat pita with hummus, a pear with low-fat cheese, or an apple spread with some peanut butter. For breakfast, I've found that a couple of pieces of whole wheat toast, spread with 1 t. natural peanut butter each, each topped with a 1 t. drizzle of honey and half a sliced apple is delicious and filling.

Last edited by Rebecca8; 10-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Those snacks need to go and be replaced with some healthy food. You are eating so much processed carbs and they are keeping the sugar monster busy keeping you hungry. Snack on an apple with a string cheese or tablespoon of peanut butter, veggies and hummus, Greek Yogurt and fruit, nuts and fruit. Dried fruit like raisins are concentrated sugar. You are far better off eating grapes than raisins.
I agree with this post - all of your 'healthy' snacks are loaded with sugar or artificial sugar, which give you cravings to eat more. Also, way too many carbs, and not the complex type. Once you cut back the sugar you will be surprised how quickly the pounds drop without that starving feeling. Good luck!
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

THANKS EVERYONE...and I really mean it I am a horrible processed carb eater (although low calorie) and will definitely try looking for things with less sugars and the right kind of carbs. I'll have to hit the grocery store because...and I'm ashamed to say it....I have a HUGE stash of processed low-cal carbs.

QUILTER, REBECCA and WEBWOMAN....I'll start with your suggestions. Wish me well!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Quilter and Webwoman. Lower carbs and it doesn't have to say it has sugar in it to become loads of sugar in your bloodstream (bread, pasta, rice). If you have fruit try to always have protein and fat with it (examples, nuts, peanut butter, cheese) which will keep it from raising your blood sugar as fast. I don't know if you are following a low-fat diet or not, but you may benefit from adding good fats such as extra virgin olive oil, avocado, organic butter, organic raw coconut oil to your meals. Just my two cents
ruth135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

I've heard that at breakfast, lunch, and "snacks," you should have a whole grain, a low-fat protein, and a good fat. For dinner you can eliminate the whole grain if you want. I've been trying this and I find I rarely get hungry.
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote