Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Off Plan; I Need Support

I've had a rough couple of weeks. Starting July 16th, I've had social obligations that have had me out at restaurants more than I have been home. I leave for Nantucket in a week and am sure to encounter more eating out there, although we have rented a house. I've also been drinking more than usual, which I know doesn't help with anything.

I've had my first significant gain (3-4 lbs.) since I started two years ago. I've been blowing off workouts left and right since I've had so much stuff to do (like going out!) I've been counting calories and instead of my 1,450 daily goal, I've been eating around 1,800 a day and not working out.

I need to get back on track and deal with this Nantucket trip. My husband's idea of going to Nantucket is going out to one of his favorite restaurants every night.

I've never been off plan this long and it seems like self-sabotage. I finally fit into some size 14 jeans and it's exhilarating and scary. I also saw some pictures of me from Thursday and I can compare them to our company outing last year. While I am much thinner, I'm still fat.

Basically, I'm scared confused, and need to get back on plan.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #2  
NEWB!

S/C/G: 215.8/202.8/174 (Army Weight)

Height: 5'10"

You're only human, everybody has a couple of off weeks. Just remember to get back on track and put your mind to it and you can do it.
SarRawrNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/164/158

Height: 5'8"

I have to believe pretty much everyone who has been trying to lose weight for any length of time has gone off the wagon at some point. I know restaurants can be difficult to deal with at times,but they usually have side items you can order to make up a meal. Plain baked potatoes, salad, steamed veggies,fresh fruit etc. The most valuable advice I ever got was to get rid of all the clothes that I got too small for. There is no going back unless I want to put out my hard earned cash for fatter clothes. That just doesn't have the same thrill as shopping for smaller clothes.(In fact it kinda of makes me nauseous just thinking about it. Lol) You said you find it scarey to get in to a size 14. Why do you think that? That is something you may want to think about to get back on track.
The day is early.Start over.Learn from the past.You can do this!
Veal2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #4  

Don't let a small gain become a big one. Remember: This is for life, not temporary. As such, look at this vacation as "practice" for maintenance. Even if you don't lose a pound, you'll still be a success if you can practice moderation. I know what you mean about eating though, though. During the summer, my husband likes to eat out frequently, and it is a challenge to stick to my calories. Here are some tips:

1) When dining out, cut your portions in half. Give the other half to your husband or take it back to your hotel or leave it on your plate. Don't think of it as waste. The day after, that leftover food won't matter a bit . . . UNLESS you eat it, in which case you'll have angst because you overate.

2) Don't "waste" calories on food you can have anytime. When I go away, I make sure not to eat junk that I can get at home (e.g., chips, cookies, etc.). Sometimes the celebratory mood of a vacation encourages us to let all barriers down, but if you decide to indulge, make it just those treats that you know you will never be able to get at home.

3) You may decide that you don't have to stick to 1450 calories during your vacation. Why not try 1600 or something like that? Again, you may not lose weight, but you can't really GAIN weight at just that many calories, and you don't have to constantly berate yourself for going over 1450 if your goal is 1600.

4) Drinking can really pile on the calories too easily. When I go out, I make sure to tell the waitress when to pour my wine (right before I start eating my entree) and do not let her/him continually refill my glass. It's easy to keep drinking when they keep refilling, but then, you'll consume more wine than you want to.

5) Can you and your husband do some activities together ---e.g., rent bicycles and go for a ride, take a long walk on the beach, etc.?

Finally, you may want to hold off on weighing yourself immediately when you get back from vacation. Instead, when you get back, get back on plan strictly. After a week, weigh yourself. I know others will disagree with this, but my feeling is, why put yourself through all that angst when you know that just eating non-routine foods will probably result in some water weight gain, and that will just be discouraging. It comes off quickly, though, so giving yourself that one week of being back on plan will give you a better idea of where you stand, weight-wise.

Have a great vacation!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I really like a lot of these suggestions. Especially, Lin43's. She's got it all spot on!
I totally agree too to not weigh yourself for a week or 2 after you get back from vacation. When you get back from vacation, hit the ground running with your lifestyle changes! Get some good exercise in and get back to eating good. Your body will love it!
Also, since you know hubby wants to go to a restaurant every night on vacation, another option is to plan ahead. Grab healthy tasty food for breakfast's and lunches. Leave a large amount of caloiries open for dinner. That's typically what I do if I know I'm going out for dinner. I eat less during the day and then enjoy a nice dinner.

Either way, enjoy your vacation! Don't let the stress of wanting to lose weight but gaining mess it up. Worry about that after the trip and just move forward. You can do it!! We know you can!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I think people have made some great suggestions, so I just wanna send out some "on plan vibes".

You can pick yourself up right this very moment and make better choices! Tell yourself that you can, and then do it!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can eat at restaurants and stay on plan. Do not order food with sauces, or gravies. Do not order fried foods. Ask for steamed vegie instead of potatoes, skip the bread basket, ask for salad dressing on the side. Skip the desert or if that is impossible share one with your husband.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-30-2011 at 09:05 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone. I'm actually really good at getting salads with chicken or salmon on top and no dressing at restaurants. If I give the booze a rest and do some running, I can turn this thing around.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #9  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

That's a great idea. Cutting out booze and running will certainly make a great difference!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #10  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

JessLess -

all the posters have given great advice. I just wanted to stop in and give you a hug - your posts and journey have been inspirational to me, and I wanted to tell you so.

Last edited by dcapulet; 07-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Maybe set a small goal of staying w/in your points for a week and give yourself a reward. Also, while I'm away I like to use Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I have it on my computer and I can do it in a hotel room with an elastic band. It's only 20-30 minutes and burns about 250 cals. You've done really great so far, and there are always bumps in the road, so keep up the good work! Whenever I feel like I'm straying too far I think of an article I read about weight loss motivation and it compared weight loss to the chutes and ladder game. You're always climbing ladders during this journey and sometimes you hit a chute that takes you back down a bit. But if you keep on truckin you'll get to the end eventually!!! Hang in there
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapulet View Post
JessLess -

all the posters have given great advice. I just wanted to stop in and give you a hug - your posts and journey have been inspirational to me, and I wanted to tell you so.
Aw, thanks for that.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #13  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

You can do it! Super great advice on this thread...gonna use it myself. :-)

ENJOY your vacation, and try to remember all the great things you can ENJOY, besides food and drink....your hubby, friends, relaxing, sightseeing, etc.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #14  

I'm back on plan and immediately lost 2 lbs. If they stay off, I'm going to be very interested in varying my calorie intake within a relatively low range, like 1,450 with some 1,800 days, switching things up a bit.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/118.4/123

Height: 5.4

I agree with everyone don't be too hard on yourself but don't let it spiral out of control. If your going to eat out maybe try working out so at least your getting some sort of deficit in.
habakuktwo is offline   Reply With Quote