Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #1  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I need help with an odd problem....

I need help with something and I really hope you chicks can come through for me.

I have early onset Parkinson's Disease. I have had several deep brain stimulation surgeries to help with my symptoms. I have battery pack generators that look much like a heart pacemaker, under each collar bone. As I have lost substantial weight, they have moved forward. They are no longer in their fat pockets. My neurosurgeon said there is no fat there to bury them under. I do have the option of eventually having them placed in my back or belly. I would prefer not to have any more surgeries than necessary.

Any way, I am a runner and I run long distances. I can currently only run about 3 miles before the generators start rubbing under my skin and hurting quite badly. I have a half marathon scheduled again for this Sunday and I am looking for something to help with this. I am thinking something like a heavy-duty sports bra that comes up higher around the neck? Has anyone seen anything like this or can they think of anything that might help?

People have suggested ace bandages, etc., but I can't have anything rubbing and chafing, so I don't think that would work. In the car I use those super puffy seat belt protectors. I have thought that maybe someone might know who might have had a masectomy or similar surgery? I wouldn't ask, but this is the largest group of people I know who might be sympathetic to this issue and help me.

I have included a picture that shows this the best. My generators sit over each breast. They look almost like cleavage. I am at a loss as to what to do and I just don't want to give up running. I get a runner's high that eliminates my painful symptoms for hours at a time, and is totally worth it if it weren't for this one issue.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prom dress.jpg (24.2 KB, 162 views)
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Lady Grace caters to women who have had mastectomies. They might be able to help you find a solution.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #3  

First of all, I just wanna say that you are truly awesome! Running a half marathon!!!! You are overcoming obstacles and still going strong! You are very inspiring and I'm very glad I popped in 3FC tonight and read this My daughter is in 7th grade and she just finished her first year of track and she runs distance and loves it As far as needing some padding, I have seen some sports bras with padding in them. I also have seen the mastectomy bras with removable pads. I'm sorry I'm not much more of help to you. I really just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are to me and how great I think it is that you are continuing to run! You look great too so KUTGW!!!!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

A high necked swim suit? Or maybe one of those heavy duty posture bras? I think I've seen them in the Harriet Carter catalog. Does Spanx have anything? Or, go check with a physical therapist or at a pharmacy and see if they have anything that might work.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #5  

Height: 5'1

I bought one of these for running outside. And let me tell you, it fits TIGHT! As it's supposed to! I see you're in Texas, so it might not work well with the weather there... but maybe look into other Under Armour apparel? Or just cut the sleeves off with a pair of scissors lol. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with the half-marathon! You go girl!

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1215968?cid=SE|Google&CAWELAID=569917823
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I also wonder if a racing swimsuit might work - there are styles with high necks which would fit snugly enough to hold things in place. Of course, you might then have chafing from the swimsuit, but then again, they're made to stay in place through racing, so who knows?

Something like this, for example:

http://www.speedousa.com/product/ind...69&cid=1062229
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #7  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Athleta has tons of sportswear clothing with built in bras. Maybe something like their clothing would help?

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/divisi...id=1&sem=false
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #8  

The ladies came up with a lot of good ideas for you.
My neighbor had Parkinsons also. He ate 1/4 cup canned wild blueberries morning and night. He bought them in glass quarts from an import store.
He said they really helped him a lot. There is a lot of info in the iternet on how blueberries help in your case.

Best of luck to you.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #9  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

I know this is probably a silly question but I was wondering if you had tried one of those sports bra's that have the fixed cup parts?

I know they do them for women with larger breasts but they come in small sizes too and I wondered if you played with some sizes you could find one that is tight enough to keep your breasts in a fixed position where they are apart.

Maybe something with that sort of design: http://www.marksandspencer.com/High-...P_2_FRO_T_MSF_
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #10  
is chubby

Here in greece we have shops for people with orthopedic problems etc where you can buy back braces, wheel chairs etc. I think in one of those shops you might find exactly what you need. They have support braces for crazy needs, I am sure they would have something for your problem.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #11  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Thank you so much to each of you for taking the time to do some research on my behalf. I will be looking at everything you've suggested this evening, and hopefully finding just the right solution. I know there's one out there.

Also, I do eat tons of blueberries as well. I am very proactive with my disease and won't let it keep me down.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #12  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

I cannot contribute with any suggestions that already haven't been mentioned but I just wanted to say that, I, too, think you are awesome! Best wishes of good luck and I hope you will be able to find something to prevent discomfort.
I will be keeping all my fingers crossed for you on Sunday.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

No suggestions, but thanks for sharing your story! You are an inspiration!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote