Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/310/185

Height: 5'8"

Question Am I eating enough? Confused!!

Hey 3FC friends! I am new here but have some questions that I was hoping you all would be able to help with. I can't seem to eat more than 1,100 calories a day and I feel like I am eating ALL day. I know I need to eat a bit more but I'm not sure how I can do this when I already feel full all the time and feel like I am eating a lot during the day. I'm eating lots of protein and fruits and vegetables, no pasta at all, no potatoes, no cheese, limited dairy products, no red meat - it is definitely working for me as far as losing weight but do you think I should be trying to eat more? If so, are there any ideas of when / how I can incorporate more meals into my day considering that I already feel full all the time? Thanks you guys!!!
Vally26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Are you getting in your necessary nutrients - healthy oils, etc.? I'd make sure you're getting enough calcium, as well - (I wouldn't count on supplements because they're mainly to supplement a well-balanced diet, rather than to take the place of that nutrient in your diet). I have better success and know I'm eating healthy when I combine a bit of protein/fat/carb in my meals. Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #3  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 247/227/150

Height: 5'4

Default same boat

Haie Vally...Im in the same boat as you in another thread I was just asking the same question...good job on not over eating tho...what do you eat that causes you to stay so full when i eat 1200 calories a day I feel like im starving and then i munch on everything in sight
skinniibrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #4  

Hey Brittany... I have been eating a lot of turkey and avocados which for some reason fills me up super fast. For dinner I usually do a chicken breast with veggies or grilled turkey with avocados on top. Snacks during the day consist of wheat thins and if I get a chocolate craving I have one square of Lindt intense orange dark chocolate. Breakfast is generally a banana and some yogurt. I find on days when I don't eat turkey for lunch I snack more in the afternoons. I also make sure that the turkey sandwiches are loaded with toppings - onions, tomato, spinach, peppers and I have it on one of those 100 calorie whole wheat sandwich thins. What about you... what are you eating? New ideas are always good.... the same thing gets boring sometimes. -Valerie
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #5  

nationalparker... I have a hard time getting calcium... I don't ever drink milk (never have)... sometimes I drink soy milk but I know I nee more calcium. What are the best places to find it? =) thanks!!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Vally - do you stay away from all dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.)? or just mainly milk? If so, then leafy greens and broccoli have calcium, and also baked beans which surprised me when I found that out ...

Hope this link works for you, but I've got it bookmarked to remind myself that I NEED it - because it's an easy one for me to skip sometimes.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...ory/index.html
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #7  

Oh wow! Great link! Thanks so much! =)
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #8  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Are you weighing and measuring your food? Unless you are eating remarkably small portions of avocados and chicken, etc., you're probably eating more than you think you are. Avocados are awesome for you, but they pack a heck of a caloric punch. So do yogurt and wheat thins. All good choices, but I'm curious whether you're measuring and/or weighing your portions.

Last edited by Gale02; 04-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Are you weighing and measuring your food? Unless you are eating remarkably small portions of avocados and chicken, etc., you're probably eating more than you think you are. Avocados are awesome for you, but they pack a heck of a caloric punch. So do yogurt and wheat thins. All good choices, but I'm curious whether you're measuring and/or weighing your portions.
i was thinking the same thing. 1100 seems like very little considering you are eating avacados on top of your protein. unless you are only eating like a 1cm slice.

just a thought, does the ripeness of a fruit (ie. avacado) affect its calorie count!? so if i ate an avacado slightly raw, would it have less calories than a fully ripe one!?
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaella View Post
i was thinking the same thing. 1100 seems like very little considering you are eating avacados on top of your protein. unless you are only eating like a 1cm slice.

just a thought, does the ripeness of a fruit (ie. avacado) affect its calorie count!? so if i ate an avacado slightly raw, would it have less calories than a fully ripe one!?
No, it doesn't change the calorie count change. I've read the the fatty acid profile changes slightly, but very little, not enough to actually worry about. Actually, I think I remember that the fruit that is changed the most as it ripens is the banana. It's not the calories, but the sugar contents change as carbs transfer themselves into being simpler in form as it becomes simple sugar (and gets sweeter )

To the OP:

I totally agree with the other posters about you perhaps needing to look into if your calorie tracking is accurate right now.

Are you weighing every morsel that goes in your mouth? Are there some things you are 'guesstimating'?

I would be very shocked if 1100 calories is keeping you full in the way you describe, especially if an avocado is anywhere around. lol

A medium sized avocado has 322 calories by itself.

Now, it could be done. If you ate plain grilled chicken and veggies all the time, cut out all additional fats, that sort of thing. 1100 calories of that, is a lot of food, and would be hard to consume in large quantities.

If you are eating like that, then kudos to you, you are a tougher woman that I am
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

[QUOTE=Katydid77;3789917]No, it doesn't change the calorie count change. I've read the the fatty acid profile changes slightly, but very little, not enough to actually worry about. Actually, I think I remember that the fruit that is changed the most as it ripens is the banana. It's not the calories, but the sugar contents change as carbs transfer themselves into being simpler in form as it becomes simple sugar (and gets sweeter )

thanks!!! it was always a curiosity of mine! now i can eat fruits ripe and raw
i happen to enjoy half ripe bananas... something about the tangy starchy-ness.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #12  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
Ditto, I have a feeling you're eating quite a bit more than you think.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #13  
~Kim~

I also agree you might not be completely accurate on your calorie count. If you are weighing and measuring and you know for a fact that you are accurate, then I would say 1100 calories is definitely very low. Especially if you're doing any exercise or lead anything but a very sedentary lifestyle.

You could add some healthy calories by cooking with olive oil. Also nuts are a good choice, a serving of almonds or pistachios is 160-170 calories.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote