Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

Default Rollerblading? Need some tips

Hello everyone,

I have decided to start rollerblading since the weather has changed and I feel like being outside again. I have never done this (inline skates) before but I saw a guy pass by me two months ago on skates and I thought I would enjoy it too. Really I need some tips so I don't look like a fool out there. Any advice is welcome. Here's my questions....

Where should I buy skates?
Do I really need all the padding?
How fast and how far should I go?
Will it help me lose belly fat????

Thanks
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

I love rollerblading! It can be a great workout if you're not just letting the wheels do all the work. (Find some uphills and work hard and then enjoy coasting down them!)

I am on my second pair of K2 skates and I love them, although I have owned the Rollerblade brand in the past. I think Dick's Sporting Goods carries the Rollerblade brand. I think most major sports stores carry some form of inline skates? Hopefully you can find a knowledgable employee to help you.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend a helmet (just a regular bike helmet is great) and knee pads, although I don't think the pads are all that necessary once you get comfortable doing it. I have been skating since I was a kid a am very comfortable doing it without pads, but watch out for sticks, rocks and especially sticky parts of the street if they've recently filled any cracks or something.

Rollerblading is just yet another form of cardio so it won't help you lose belly fat specifically, but your quads will get an awesome workout!!
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #3  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

I love rollerblading. This past summer I just bought a pair of 'rollerblade' brand skates. They are the top of the line and great skates. I also like K2 as my last pair were k2.

Rollerblading can help you lose weight because it can get your heart rate up there if you are skating fast enough and going up hills.

I would DEFINITELY advise you to wear pads (wrist, elbow, knee, and a helmet). Especially as a beginner. I made a big mistake of not wearing padding and falling down a hill taking three layers of skin off of my leg. I was not a beginner at the time but, I lost control which is easy to do going down big hills. Just start slow until you get the hang it of, and then just go as far as your body tells you to go. Start on a flat surface untilyou feel confident to tackle hills and stopping.

I can't wait till spring so I can get out again. Good luck with rollerblading.

Last edited by Jojo381972; 02-28-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #4  

Thanks so much Trail Runner! I appreciate your advice and your right I couldn't let the wheels do all the work. I have decided to buy some skates and helmet and I will start off slowly until I find my groove. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo381972 View Post
I would DEFINITELY advise you to wear pads (wrist, elbow, knee, and a helmet). Especially as a beginner. I made a big mistake of not wearing padding and falling down a hill taking three layers of skin off of my leg.
Oooh my fear... wiping out. Yes I think pads may be in order too. I'm real excited, I just want to get out there and start moving Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #6  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I have been rollerblading for almost 17 years now, and I would advise you to get wrist guards!! Whenever I have fallen, my hands/wrists have caught me regardless of whether I was falling forward or backward. They have a little plastic bump on the palm side, so if you fall the plastic bump will hit the pavement and your wrists will be spared...no one likes a broken wrist (or two)!!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote