Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/145/135-125

Height: 5'5"

Default Will I ever have abs? LOL

Hey everyone

I'm on my last 10 lbs, and it seems the last place I'm losing weight is from my stomach.

I was wondering if anyone who has lost weight was able to achieve a six pack? I've lost about 35 lbs (plus or minus a few on any given day), and my ultimate goal is to have a six pack.

I can already feel them under my layer of fat, I can actually count them, so I know they're there. I guess it's a matter of patience and diligence, and getting my body fat to a lower percentage. I'm guessing around 10 or 15 more lbs they'll be visible.

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's actually fat or just loose skin. Well I'm pretty sure it's fat, but after the fat's gone, will my skin still feel so wobbly? I've had 2 pregnancies, and we all know what that can do to skin, plus all the weight gain.

My question is, has anyone on the forum achieved a six pack after having children? Or gotten rid of the mama stomach rolls? I'd settle for a mini-roll lol. I'm so excited but I'm wondering if I'm just dreaming big lol. Thanks in advance!
keep on moving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

I havent had children but I'd always carried weight in my trunk.
After lots and lots of work I've gotten my BF% to about 19-20% and my abs are finally starting to show through and I see some definition.
Its been a long time coming and seeing them has made all the hard work totally worth it...
if you put in the effort you'll be rewarded so keep up the good work!!
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

So, I don't have a six pack, but I have had one kid (I'm 2.5 years postpartum). This pic is at 136. I've been really surprised how much my tummy has changed in these last 10 lbs. You can do it!

tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I think a lot of us are wondering this right now. I'm in a place where I'm asking myself how important is this, really? I may go for it, but if I do it will be more like a hobby kind of project for myself. See, once I get to 135, I am buying new clothes! And I do not want to diet out of them! LOL! I am already in a 4/6 and am so happy with that number. 10 pounds will put me in a 2/4. So really? Why do I want abs? Because...I just do, I guess to prove that I can. But I'm not making it a must-have goal, I've made 135.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Tattoodles, if I can achieve that stomach, abs or not, I will be happy! I still have an unsightly pooch at the bottom, nicely hidden by underwear or bikini bottoms but still there nonetheless.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #6  

I wish I had...um...appropriate pics to post from ten lbs ago to show the difference. I did post a pic in the 20-somethings most recent photo album where you can see my highest weight and how big I got when I was prego. I grew out. All out. My weight gain during pregnancy was minimal, but my tummy didn't grow at all during the first 5 months of pregnancy (I lost 10lbs from morning sickness). So I went from nothing to HUGE in 4 months.

OP-how far postpartum are you??? It took my skin a long time to recover.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/165/135

Height: 5'10

Tattoodles- when you said your stomach changed alot in 10lbs, how much are you talking about? I am 166, my goal is 135 and 5'10 but I feel like 31lbs may not be enough. My stomach looks so flabby. What's discouraging is that other people who are the same weight or higher and are shorter have a flatter stomach. I have a friend who is 175 and 5'7 but she has no stomach... You, for example, have a BMI of 23.3 and mine is 23.8...so not a million miles of difference but I don't look half as good as you. Lol. Did you look completely different 10, 20, 30 lbs ago?
Lynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #8  

Lol, Eliana, first congrats on the amazing weight loss!

Getting a six pack is a project for me as well, just to see if it's possible! When I was a teen, I had a really flat stomach and a 25 inch waist, I guess that's part of the reason I want a six pack, partly for the challenge, and partly because I use to have a really low body fat percentage.

I was 115 lbs at 5'5, so I guess I'm trying to restore my youth lol... I'm happy with my progress 6 pack or no, but I would definitely love one!

I already feel a lot stronger than when I was a teen, I just want too see what's possible.

Tatoodles, you look really nice and slender. We have a similar shape and body type (I'm 5'5, 145lbs), so I'm excited to see what I'll look like at your weight. I was also 180ish at my highest!

Kellymarie90, what did you do to get your body fat percentage so low? Is it strict dieting? Lot's of cardio? Weight training? I do bodyrock.tv's workouts, which are amazing!

I tried 1500 cals a day once, but I didn't have enough energy to exercise. At the moment I don't really count calories (I go nuts lol) , just make sure I don't overeat and get enough protein. I'm still seeing good progress, so I probably won't tweak it until I have to, lol!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #9  

Ok, so this was 30lbs ago, if I would have taken it at more of an angle you could see better how round it was.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoodles View Post
Ok, so this was 30lbs ago, if I would have taken it at more of an angle you could see better how round it was.

You have no pooch! How do you have no pooch? Even 30 lbs ago... no pooch.

I have a nice waist now, 27 inches, but below the belly button hangs over a darn crease. I hate it!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #11  

Tattoodles, yeah there is a major difference, even though you have a nicely proportioned shape in both pics lol. It also looks like you don't have any stretch marks!

I got major stretch marks from 2 pregnancies, (well they're small but visible) that's why I'm wondering if that stretched skin will shrink back. Only time will tell, I guess!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep on moving View Post
Tattoodles, yeah there is a major difference, even though you have a nicely proportioned shape in both pics lol. It also looks like you don't have any stretch marks!

I got major stretch marks from 2 pregnancies, (well they're small but visible) that's why I'm wondering if that stretched skin will shrink back. Only time will tell, I guess!
I actually got a ton of stretch marks, but they've faded a lot. It's just not easy to see them on my camera phone. With my real camera, however, my skin looks a bit like crepe paper. And NO I'm not delusional about this. One of my girlfriends thought I was kidding about how I can't wear a bikini outside (she's seen the pics of my tummy) and when I showed her my belly in the flesh (bad pun) she said, "how does your camera NOT show that?!?! It really is like crepe paper!!!"
Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

I get that. I posted some pics recently that makes my tummy look pretty darn good, but I know better.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #14  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Managing/lowering body fat percentage, like healthy weight loss, is a combination of healthy diet and exercise.
This is partly my opinion/experience as well as what is taught by the ACSM. Diet is absolutely essential but to be honest, once a person gets to a healthy body weight through healthy diet and exercise their exercise routine should start to top their list of health priorities. This isnt to say that healthy choices should go out the window, healthy food fuels a healthy body!
Cardio is definitely important to not only shrink fat cells (aka "burn fat") but also for heart healthy benefits.
Even the most toned muscles are hidden under a layer of fat. In fact, everyone has a wonderful six pack...its just hiding lol
Weight training is also important because even though you cant spot reduce, you can spot sculpt and tone. When all that hard work you've done through diet and cardio starts to reveal your beautiful muscles you want them to be in great shape.
Also, lean muscle is more metabolically active than fat so you'll burn more calories at rest than if your body was of a higher fat percentage.
Theres a lot to this whole journey so congrats to all you ladies!
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #15  

Thanks for the great info