Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #1  
...Still going...

S/C/G: 164kg/ticker/77kg

Height: 5'11

Default Doing it all alone

Hey girls, just wondering if anyone else has kept their wls, quiet. For lack of a better word. My immediate family and best friend know and that's it.. None of
My other friends do and sometimes I feel like I'm all alone..
Would love to hear your experiences.
Thebeautyandthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

some people don't tell a SOUL. other people tell everyone. and each way has its good points and its not-so-good points.

like, if you don't tell anyone, people start thinking you have a dread disease and are dying. and if you DO tell everyone, they start watching everything you eat and do, and judge you for it.

so, it's entirely up to you, and your comfort. i told everyone, but that's mostly because i was bedridden before the surgery, and people were glad that i finally had some hope. but i have some friends and acquaintances who have told no one, and they're doing just fine!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

HA I will and don't care one IOTA what anyone says......I plan to flaunt MY SUCCESS!!! LOLOL who gives a crap what others say....this is OUR body OUR life....so you have my support 100%
readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I chose to keep my surgery quiet. Last thing I need was stupid comments from people who don't understand nor did I want people watching every thing I put in my mouth. IMHO my surgery was/is very personal. I am glad I did not tell others because I hear what some people say about folks who struggle with wls.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I told/tell everyone. I've never had any negative issues from doing so. I think it depends on the individual - people generally know I'm a bit of a research freak, so when they see me eating something, they don't question it. On the off chance someone DOES question it (which very rarely happens), I use it as an opportunity to educate and explain that fat is not the enemy, with or without surgery. They've watched me lose more than 100 pounds - why would they question my food choices? I've found it so much easier to not have to try to keep track of who I've told and not told, and to not have to try to make excuses for why I'm eating so little or avoiding certain foods, etc. So, the decision to tell or not to tell is completely dependent on the individual.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I told EVERYONE and ANYONE that would listen But of course, I am the type that can't keep a secret! If someone asked how I lost all that weight, I couldn't lie without it showing. My daughter thinks its hilarious, she could always find out about her bithday or Christmas presents because she could guess and I couldn't keep a straight face! hehehehe

Anyway, I'm with Jilly, trying to keep track of who I told or didn't tell would be too confusing for this getting-older-kind-of-brain...I need all the functioning brain cells to focus on other things! The 3 that work are overtaxed as it is!

And Jill, you a research freak???? Nahhhhhhhh but that's one of your many selling points, my friend.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-07-2010 at 12:43 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I haven't had surgery yet. But I am scheduled for next week. So far I have told my 2 closest friends. I plan to tell my sisters but only after I have lost the weight because otherwise they will be negative and critical. I haven't decided what I will say when ppl ask how did you lose the weight? I was thinking jut to answer eat less exercise more.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm a pretty big yapper, so I basically told everyone.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #9  
ChubNoMo

I told my family and a few close friends. I went to Mexico and that flipped everyone out enough and i didn't need to go through all the "are you NUTS!" comments i knew i would be getting. I've known enough people over the years who have wls and I've heard all the comments, and even thought them myself, about the "easy way out" blah blah blah BS. I just didn't want to deal with it I guess. I work in a salon and everyone knows everyone's business as it is and I know I would have been judged and talked about along with the constant watching of what I ate or if I gained or whatever, just like every time i've gone on a diet. Sometimes i wish i would have just come clean with everyone, because it can really be lonely out here at times. Going to Mexico left me with pretty much no physical support group which has been rough.

Karin

Last edited by VeggieGal; 12-10-2010 at 02:25 AM.
VeggieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeautyandthegeek View Post
Hey girls, just wondering if anyone else has kept their wls, quiet. For lack of a better word. My immediate family and best friend know and that's it.. None of
My other friends do and sometimes I feel like I'm all alone..
Would love to hear your experiences.
I told everyone........for those that were supportive, great. For those that were negative, well they weren't really friends anyway, were they?
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote