Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #1  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I don't want to be rude to my friends, but...

I have a dilemma which I face almost everyday. My two best friends come over to hang out at my house almost every night - nothing special, just watching tv, listening to music and the like. This is usually in the evening around dinnertime. They always want to order take out or fast food every night.
Recently, I decided to change my eating habits because I want to lose weight and be healthy. So far the only thing keeping me back from staying within my daily calorie limit is the eating I do with my friends. I love having them over. I do not want to change that. But something about our eating habits has to change - both for my health and wallet. I thought about cooking a healthy meal for us all to eat every night, which I don't have a problem with - except I am a broke college student and can't afford to feed three mouths every night. (I can't afford take out anymore either.) But I feel like since they are in my home it would be rude to make my own meal and leave them out. I would also feel rude asking for a monetary contribution towards meals I cook.
What can I do? Does anyone else face this same dilemma?
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

In your place, I would feel that it's my home and I would probably resent the intrusion. I'm really private about this stuff.

Then again, good friends might also understand
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Since these girls are your best friends, I think that openly discussing your dilemma will clear things up pretty quickly. I'm sure that they'll understand where you're coming from! If you haven't already done so, explain to them that you're trying to eat more healthily, so you would like to stay away from eating takeout and fast food on the nights that you all hang out together and are planning on making dinner for yourself from now on. I think it will also help if you mention that you're not asking that they change their own eating habits if they don't want to, but that you'd be happy to share your dinner with them if they'd like. Then you can go on to say that if they would like to switch to home-cooked meals rather than takeout/fast food, as well, then it would be really helpful if you guys could work out some system for splitting the costs of the meal. Maybe you could take turns bringing the food or maybe everybody could just pitch in a few dollars. Presumably you guys already do this when paying for takeout or fast food, so I don't think the suggestion will surprise or offend them in any way. I think the key is to keep the conversation casual; you're not asking for anything huge or crazy or unreasonable, so don't approach the discussion like it's a really big deal. Just make it clear that you're going to change how you eat dinner, ask if they're interested in doing so too, and suggest working out some fair way of dividing the costs should they wish to do so. Anybody would be open to that, your best friends most of all!
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

If they're good enough friends to be around your house every night then they're probably good enough friends to have a little chat with them. You could tell them that they are still welcome to order their food (if that doesn't bother you) but for health and financial reasons you are going to start cooking in. If they show an interest in joining you then you can talk about what they can contribute to the meal (doesn't have to be money - one can bring the chicken to cook, someone else can bring the veggies, etc.).
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #5  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Well, I don't see anything wrong with asking for a monetary donation. They were going to pay for take-out, right? Most college students are broke. Just explain the situation, and I'm sure they will understand. If they don't, then they weren't very good friends to begin with.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Yeah, I agree with thecandes. I don't see anything rude about offering to cook and asking for a monetary donation, especially since you're all close enough that you spend every night together. You don't even have to make this about a weight/health thing if you don't want to...just say you're not in the financial situation to order take out every night, so you want to cook meals in and you'd be more than happy enough to make it for the 3 of you, so long as everyone contributes.

Maybe you could even cook together and it could be even more of a bonding experience!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #7  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have already told them that I'm trying to lose weight. They are supportive.
I guess the next step is to explain that I won't be ordering food with them anymore and will instead be cooking meals. I am just so tied up in being a good host. It's something I learned from my mother. I am always trying to be polite and make everyone feel welcome. Even though they are very good friends, I feel nervous bringing up the subject. I don't want to seem like an ungracious host or a cheap skate.
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #8  

I would explain the money situation at the very least, because they can probably relate. And then suggest that each of you contribute something small to eat each night, and even if they don't bring something healthy, YOU can make the healthy part of the meal and then either don't eat what they bring or just have smaller portions of it. And maybe they'll bring a healthy dish anyway.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

My mom was the same way, but in your situation she'd say if they're at your house so much, they're no longer guests

If they're supportive of your efforts to lose weight, they'll be supportive of this Don't worry!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Tell them to eat before they come over
Jelbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/147/135

Height: 5'2''

I have pretty much the same problem. It seems like the only time I eat unhealthy or outside of my plan is when I'm with a group of friends and they want to order take out. I've started to be able to explain that I can't be eating that kind of food all the time, but its still hard. It's weird, for the most part my friends are really supportive but when it comes to situations like this its almost like they think oh come on, one night a week isn't going to kill you, like I'm being a buzzkill or something. I just need them to understand that my body does not allow me to eat that way. I can't eat the way they do and be a healthy weight.
Jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #12  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

it's your house, and you should do whatever you want to, from the sounds of it, you guys are pretty close, and they should understand not only your money situation, but also be supportive in you efforts to lose weight.

tell them if they want take out they can buy it themselves and bring it over, or if you want to cook them all a home cooked meal, which would be healthier ask all of them to bring something over to help with the meal.
if they're your friends, then they'll understand and be helpful.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Just be up front with them. Tell them you don't want to eat takeout anymore, and want to cook your own food at home. Offer to pool everyone's takeout money together and say you will cook for the group. But here's the deal...you have to be ready to be ok with them saying they will just bring their stuff over while YOU cook for YOURSELF. Will you truly be ok with watching them eat pizza and burgers while you have a salad or whatever? If so, then maybe that's the solution. If not, maybe everyone should eat THEN meet up.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

hey purduegirl...i'm a ballstate(grad)girl
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #15  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I'm a penn state (grad) girl.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote