Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Talking 300+ and Ready to Try Again... #237

WELCOME!!

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.

WELCOME!!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:16 PM   #2  

Okay ladies... and any gents lurking.... jump right in and post.
I wrote a long one on the last thread. Ran out of things to share for now. But I will return.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:28 AM   #3  

Ditto, on your whole post, Baylee. I was just thinking while opening this site that maybe "I feel this way because of the time of the year or something"...and then found your post saying it all.

I feel disgusted with myself because I am not this stupid in other areas of my life.....WHY can't I get a grip on this eating????

I get tired of doing good for a week or so and then back to square one.

I know I have to get into exercising....any tips all you "gym" people out there??????

I know I have to fix my "insides" (emotions etc) and do that well for a week or so and fall off that wagon too.

Okay...sorry....enough "Lucky Pity Party".......

GOOD NEWS it is warm here in Minnesota....can you believe it....

To Whom It May Concern:
Dr. Phil had a husband that was causing a divorce because he won't help around the house and sits watching Nascar all the time.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:27 AM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Morning, everyone!

Baylee: The reason you keep going to meetings is so that 27# you've lost STAYS GONE!!!! Yes, I've felt just like you do. "Why am I paying money to go to a meeting every week when I KNOW how to lose weight!" You would think after years of meetings I would know how to lose weight too, but I keep going to the meetings because if I don't, I will gain it all back, instead of just some of it.

Lucky: You're too new to the program to be ready to give up yet! But I know how you feel. Up a pound, down a pound, up two, down one. It's a great big roller coaster and I'm tired of being on the UP hills all of the time too.

On a brighter note: I bought the Leslie Sansone tapes yesterday at Sam's Club. All three plus, is it balls? for $17.99. I didn't think that was too bad. Now all I have to do is open them. I'm not sure why I even bought them. Yes, I do. There were only 2 sets left and I didn't already have these tapes to go with the rest of my tape collection that I don't use! Or maybe it was that I had this empty little spot on my shelf and I needed something to go there! NOT! No empty spots on ANY shelves here. All I know is that if one day, I get ambitious, I will have those to choose from as well as MANY others. Just being prepared!

Also on a brighter note: I think we need to tally up all of the weightloss just on this thread. I know some of us don't post the 'stats' at the bottom but we could just say how much we've lost. Now the number I want is the weight loss from your 'top' to now. Not when you actually started a program, because let's face it, weight lost, is weight lost. It's not like it doesn't count if we weren't on a program.

I went back to the last thread and pulled up what I could. Whoever I missed, if you would please post your success, I'll keep track and I'll give you a total loss by the beginning of the week. What do you think?

Sara: 87
Baylee: 27.1
Duckie: 33
Babette: 14
Tina: 15.5
Tontoy: 6
Michelle: 21.5
Mary: I got what you are down to, but don't remember how much you've lost.
Thinthinker: 37

If I missed anyone that has posted 'stats', please forgive me. I'm not looking for people to do the whole 'stat' thing, if they're not comfortable. I'm just looking for total lost for the tally. So far with just the few that I was able to find, we've lost 235.1#! Not bad, I'd say.

Gotta run. Dentist appointment and then off to look at new apartments. See ya later.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:56 AM   #5  
a work in progress...

Unhappy WARNING! Bummer post...

I thought it was just me, but there seems to be a general malaise hanging over our happy little thread, I came to post a number of times yesterday and found that I had absolutely nothing to say. NOTHING! Well, nothing that could be construed as uplifting, friendly, cheerful, encouraging or anything of that nature. I didn't want to come here and complain about how I haven't exercised in almost a week, or how I still feel like crap from this cold, or how I need to get more rest in order to ever get rid of it...(I can't tell you how many times last night at work I was told how bad I look! hmm...thanks!) I still HATE my job and all the moaning whiners over there...(unlike ME, who only moans and whines HERE!) My eating has been atrocious. I did NOT weigh in yesterday, knowing it wouldn't be pretty. And to top it all off...I am SO pissed off at my parents, I'm rethinking Thanksgiving plans or ANY future plans of going there.

*****let me just pause here a moment to state that I have absolutely no intention of letting this funk last beyond today, but I feel a need to unburden myself here, so I hope you'll bear with me.*****

As is the case with many over weight adults, my parents are both alcoholics. Lots of alcoholism on both sides of the family. I believe I escaped alcoholism, but I'm saddled with compulsive over-eating instead. Lucky me. I am eating as I type this, I haven't stopped since I got on the computer.

I called my parents last night to ask them if they'd like tickets for my daughter's show. I only called because dh asked me if I was going to. (I knew what the answer would be) His parents are 3000 miles away (thank God, but that's a whole 'nother story!) but they would give anything to be able to participate in their grandchildren's lives. Mine are but a car drive away and can't be bothered. Oh there's always some feeble excuse but I know the real reason why. We don't drink (on their level, anyway) and they don't feel comfortable here is what it boils down to. What the **** am I supposed to say to my kids when, yet again, their grandparents can't make another event? Having been raised in a model dysfunctional home, however, I won't say a word, just accept the excuse and swallow my hurt feelings...along with everything that gets in my path.

I am so tired of living this way. I know all of that is what lies at the root of my problem. I am going to make an appointment for counseling. I have a number for an Adult Children of Alcoholics counselor that taught the course I took. I'm going to call her. Today. I don't care how much it costs. I'll let you all know how that works out.

I feel like such a fraud here sometimes. Even when I'm on a roll and doing great, underneath it all is always that feeling of you're no good...you'll never do this... My parents never actually SAID those words to me, but their actions sure did...and still do. I know they love me in some way...but not in the way I need, I guess.

I'm sorry this has been such a bummer of a post, to those of you who wanted some good posts to read, but it's what I'm feeling at the moment, what guides my actions and talking to you guys always seems to put me back on track.

As always, thanks for being here.

Last edited by katrinabgood; 11-07-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:57 AM   #6  

Hi Everyone!

Baylee dont get discouraged I know how you feel. I dont know if any of you caught Oprah yesterday but it talked about people who really have a lot of weight to loose. Most of these ladies were 300-500 pounds. I know it is hard and I feel like I will never conquer this sometimes but you can't give up. You have to dig down and really find out what is at the heart of you overeating. What are your triggers and how can you gain control of them.

Sometimes you just have a light bulb moment when you know that this is something you have to conquer. I know for me it was a number of things. I want to gain control of my life, my whole life. I have mastered the school thing, I am working on mastering the career thing, but the one aspect of my life that I have let control me is my weight. I am determined to get control of that, because ultimately it is all up to me and no one else.

I once weighed 270 pounds seven years ago and I lost 72 pounds but I went back to the same eating habits even though I continued to exercise and I got back up to 250.

I finally realized that the only person who can control this is me and I am not going to let anything get in my way. Of course we have bad days. I had a bad day yesterday, but it was no where close to the bad days I used to have consuming 3000-4000 calories in one day.

We all need to encourage and be there for each other. I can't do it alone, and that is why I am joining Weight Watchers tonight. I have lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks and I need more support than I can give myself.

With prayer, love and support from others you can get through this, it requires a lot of soul searching because it is not about the food, it is way deeper than that. Once you get in touch with those deep issues of why you eat you will see that was the hardest part to accomplish and the weight loss becomes easy.

I know that sounds crazy but it is true.

Take Care

Tontoy (Tonya)
244/236/150
Old 11-07-2002, 11:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 332.4/228.4/175

Height: 5'11"

Hey Thin you forgot about me. I've lost 25 lbs so far.Still have 90 left to go. Like many of the others, I've been in some sort of a funk lately. I'm not drinking my water, not exercising and eating like crap. Why, I honestly don't know. But I do know that I need to snap out of it. I want this weight gone. I didn't lose those 25 lbs just to gain them back plus some extra. I need to get back into the right frame of mind. I did catch some of Oprah yesterday and it really made me re-evaluate my life. I couldn't help but think that at least I wasn't that heavy. But you know what, if I don't keep myself in check, I could be and that's scary. I just want to be healthy. Sorry for my pity post, but I just needed to air my thoughts.
Steph
Old 11-07-2002, 01:09 PM   #8  

Okay ladies.... I wasn't going to post this morning (nearly afternoon) because I overslept and have TONS of things to do... but... it is obvious that my dear friends need some cheering up.

First of all.... we keep trying because what is the alternative. ??
We can give up entirely and gain all our weight back plus MORE or we can keep on keeping on.

Second... do any of you REALLY think this is going to be a downhill ride all the way?? Of course we have bad times... life is full of bad times. Not just weight loss struggle but everything. Face it ladies... that is life. Jobs are great one day and suck the next, husbands are saints and then *******s, kids are gifts from God and then turn into little devils. THAT IS LIFE.

We all have our ups and downs. We all have our stuggles.
We also ALL HAVE THE ABILITY TO OVERCOME IT.
Don't you remember other times in your life that it all got so overwhelming.... and you made it through it. This is just a phase you are going thru ... and you will come out the other side.
Accept for one difference. You will recognize your "inner strenghth" this time. You will say to yourself.... "I chose to ride this thru and I made it !!!"

Ladies... YOU have the ability to overcome all odds. You were born with it and life is the opportunity to fine tune it.
Where do you start????
With your "determination" ... with your "willingness".... with your "inner strength".
Yes ladies.. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY !!!! Whether you accept it or not. It is there.

Most of you have kids... if not you know someone who thought they couldn't do something. You had to encourage your kids to try... they had doubts.. but you encouraged them because you "KNEW" they could do it. And they did. They took those first steps walking ...even though they fell more than they walked in the beginning.

You just have to work on those overcoming muscles. Just like you only get physcial muscles my working out... you only get Inner strength muscles by working them.

SOooooo... yes it is fine to moan and groan about our failures... it is a part of life. BUT so is picking yourself up.
SOooooo.. as they say... when you get to the end of your rope... tie a knot and hang on until you pull yourself up again.

You see ladies... I truly love you all... but I am not willing to "love you to death"... your death. SOooo ...giving up is NOT AN OPTION.

Gee... I want to say sooo much more. But being here any longer is not an option either. I have to run. I will end this with my famous last words of the day....

"Life is full of problems... but it is also full of overcoming it."

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 11-07-2002 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:38 PM   #9  

Smile A Year From Now You'll Wish You'd Started Today!

Kat was right; there is definitely a "general malaise hanging over our happy little thread." Truthfully, I haven't been immune to it either but, as of today, my blah-ness is over! While I know I'm gonna feel a bunch of boots kicking my butt for this comment, I was going through a stage of feeling like maybe the sense of community and friendship I feel here was an illusion. After all... I've never even met you guys! We are from SO many different walks of life and hold so many different ideologies. While that is definitely true, I've worked through it. Actually, MEETING people in person may be a LESS accurate depiction of their true character than how we all know each other. We know each other's true thoughts, concerns and STRUGGLES!

When I read everyone's posts this morning I felt an overwhelming urge to lift everyone's spirits and to get them outta their respective funks because I am truly a friend to all of you and I really do care! This brings me to my favorite inspirational message, my subject line:

A year from now, you'll wish you'd started today!

How many times have we wished that we'd kept that committment last year to lose weight?! I NEVER want to wake up in the morning and wish with all my heart that I had taken control "way back when." We are all the masters of our own destinies!

Thin: I love your idea about keeping a tally for our total weight lost. It has an effect of bringing all our struggles together!

Baylee: Don't be sorry for posting a "bummer" message! You've provided such inspiration and support here and are entitled to let us know when you're not feeling that great! I agree with Thin; going to WW definitely won't do you any harm! I believe being accountable to others for your weight loss is one of the key elements in dieting and, although you probably know so much about the program that you could lead it, that "being accountable" aspect of continuing to go would be enough incentive to stick with it for me! AND... remember, if you've had a few bad days, it is within your power to simply decide that you're back in control! Now it's time for my standard "Sorry... not trying to be a preachy know-it-all because I hate know-it-alls!"

Kat: I wasn't aware that your parents had a drinking problem. This makes your immediate family all the more amazing to me! I aspire to, one day, have the closeness and love in my family that you, your hubby and kids have now!

Steph: You too with the apologizing for your "pity post". Stop it! Hope that Oprah (and us) can help you get back on track! You're in control!

Tontoy: Yahoo for you for joining WW tonight! Let us know how it goes!

Lucky: Sending you some positive diet vibes! If I could give you a bit of that "magic something" that made my head SNAP this past spring, I'd do it! Everyone needs to come to a point in their own lives where they decide for themselves that something needs to be done and there's no stopping until their goal has been reached. You are SO close to onederland (much closer than I was)! Hmmm... preachy again.

Wow! I've been typing for an hour! Time to get something done around here!

Sara
270/183/150

Last edited by SaraJoy; 11-07-2002 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:44 PM   #10  

Angry 2Cute snuck in while I was posting!

I just wanted to say:

Ditto on everything 2Cute said!

It was an amazingly inspirational post and she managed to do it without preaching! *me... taking tips*

Sara
Old 11-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #11  

Okay, after yesterday of hounding you guys to post, I thought I better pop in here and say something, I know how all you are feeling and have been there, and am still there in some aspects. I'm working on my weight now and I want more than anything to get that under control, and I find that when I'm really motivated and eating healthy, my whole attitude changes and I'm a much happier person.
I also suffer from Trichtillmania, some of you newbies might not now what it is, search it on the net, it's hard to explain, and kinda embarrasing to talk about, but since I started taking better care of myself and drinking my water, and in general just feeling better about myself, I've been pull free for 38 days and that's a huge accomplishment, but I have no one to share it with, because it's embarrasing to talk about. But before when I wasn't really trying to lose weight I think I hit rock bottom, I didn't care If I was fat, didn't have any nice clothes, nothing fit good, wore a hat most of the time, just didn't care anymore, but now I'm more aware of how I look, I got out of the shower the other morning and wrapped a towel around me, and it completely went all the way around me, I was so excited I had to go and show off in front of df, and I'm almost able to zip up my winter jacket, haven't been able to do that in about 3 yrs, these little things mean so much to me, and it makes me so excited when something new happens regarding my weight. It's like getting little surprises every now and then, when your not expecting them.

ToCute are you sure your not a motivational speaker, well you should be, I never know what to say, but your post said it all. and like Sara says a year from now you'll either have regrets or you'll be loving yourself more than ever.

Gotta get back to work, remember your the only one holding you back, you need to find what's stopping you from reaching your goals, and work on that.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:12 PM   #12  

Well.. thank you for you comments about me not being bossy... BUT... I am just so concerned about all of you I had to come back and be a little bossy.

Now that I have typed that... maybe I should delete what I wrote off line and am pasting here. Maybe it is too bossy.
Maybe it is... but I "feel" the need to post it. I hope it helps someone. If it is not you... just ignore and remember... it is helping someone. Maybe it helped ME. Maybe I need to say it and your reading it is what "I" need. I don't know. I only know I have to post it.

Okay ladies.. this will be quick and to the point. I cannot quit thinking of all of you and I am not getting anything done... so I am here to give you all who are struggling a plan of action. "ACTION" that means we are going to "do something" about the funk you are in.

First... I don't care if you "feel" like doing it or not. My kids never felt like cleaning their rooms... I told them they don't have to feel like it... they just have to do it. We often don't feel like going to work... no matter.. we had to go. Sooooo you don't have to "feel" like doing these things.... you just have to DO THEM.

We are a threefold human being. Physical, emotional and spiritual.
We have to do something in all three areas.
We will start with physical. You will finish this paragraph and then do it before reading the next one.
STAND UP and stretch to the ceiling. Stretch as far as you can... then a little more.
Now bend over and touch your toes (or as close as you can get.) LOL
Do it again. Do it five times. Five... that is not asking too much.
Now bend to the left and bend to the right.
Now stretch to the ceiling again. Okay , when you finish that come on back and continure reading.
Hey... I see you... no peeking ahead. GET UP AND DO IT !!!!

Now for the emotional. Repeat after me....
"I am an overcomer. I will and do have bad days and even several days but I have the ability to overcome this. I will not spend my time focusing on my weaknesses. I will focus on my strengths. I have already begun to overcome this temporary slump by my willingness to follow these silly directions 2cute is making me do. I have overcome in the past and I will overcome this one too only this time I will recognize my abilities that in the past I took for granted. As they say... I am woman hear me ROAR"

Spiritual.... This can be easy or this can be hard. You are going to write a "gratitude list". Not grateful for your family and such. Gratitude about YOURSELF. Example... I am grateful I do have the power to over come. I am grateful for the fact no matter how many times I fall... I have one more chance to try again. Grateful for the legs that hold up this weight. Grateful for my mind... even though it turns on me... I am capable of flushing out the negative thoughts and replacing them with positive.

Flushing.... hmmm ... good idea.
We are going to flush out those negative thoughts with positive. Taking ACTION.
This is your homework. Get out those old WW pamphlets and read them. Get out any "positive" books you have and read it. Flush out those negative thoughts with positive. This weight loss journey is as much if not more in our minds as our bellies.

Flush out those toxin foods you have eatten with water. Drink , drink and drink some more. Eat that lettuce to clean yourself out.

Ladies.. if we can't feel ourselves into action... then act yourself into feeling better.
And don't say... "I don't feel like it" Fake it until you make it.
The important thing here is ACTION !!!!

Okay. I have said my peace. If we were on the Titantic I could not sit there and watch you go down with the ship. I would have to tell you to put on those life jackets, man the life boats and get into action. The boat isn't going to wait until you "feel like it"

Just remember one more thing. I say all of these things not because I am a know it all.... you all know of all of my failings.... I say it because I love you.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:30 PM   #13  
a work in progress...

2cute...thank you for that. you got me crying, but you got me up and moving too! I did the exercise, got a huge cup of water, took my vitamins and put the biggest <FAKE> smile on my face! And it felt good. So good it turned into a real smile. Thank you so much. You know, you are the reason I began posting on this thread in the first place! I always loved your funny, inspirational, real posts.

Sara, you paid me the ultimate compliment about my family. Thank you. I love them dearly and have grown up with perfect examples of how not to raise kids...I just give them all the love and attention and respect that I never got. They are my treasures. It helps to have a wonderful husband too...boy did I get lucky there!

Baylee...I am embarrassed to answer your question. But I will. I started here almost a year ago. (Dec) I think I weigh now just about what I started at. A few years ago, I lost about 40 lbs doing WW. I started at 274, got down to 228...I have since gained most of that back. Currently at 258.

Duckie...don't ever forget that you have US to share your accomplishment with. I think that's awesome...38 days. I'm so proud of you! Those sure are wonderful feelings: the towelgoing around, zipping the jacket, etc. I know I've mentioned it before, but when I can get certain underwear pulled up over my belly button, I know I'm doing well!! (yeah, yeah, too much information!)

Well girls...thanks for being here. You sure turned the tide on my day. Gotta get a little nap in. Tonight is "Opening Night" for my daughter's show, "Our Town." I just bought the most beautiful bouquet to give her after the show. I've learned to buy whatever I love, because it ends up on my coffee table anyway...so I picked out a pretty fall arrangement with lots of yellow something or others, eucalyptus, three long stem red roses, really pretty greenery with red berries and a few wheat stalks...very Fall-y!

Have a great night all...

Lots of love....
Old 11-07-2002, 05:15 PM   #14  

Baylee to aswer your question,

I have been fighting my weight as long as I can remember, I remmeber when I was in Kindergarten and my mom was trying to cut me back on sweets, and sending carrots and celery to school for snacks, that I would ( and I'm not proud of this ) ask to go to the bathroom and raid the other kids lunch boxes. I no me bad.

I don't think I was ever considered a healthy weight, I would slim down during the summer when I was a child, we use to have a trampoline and I would live on it all summer long, but as far back as I can remember, I always snuck food and hid it. And I don't even know why, I can't remember my mom and dad ever saying anything bad about my weight and to this day they never say anything, very supportive. So I don't think I was hiding it from them, My parents had 6 kids, so as we got older we all ate more and I think I began hiding what I ate so I wouldn't get blamed for eating the last cookie or drinking all the milk. I don't know, this is really making me think.

But anyway's up till last Feb, I kind of gave up on losing weight until I started searching the web, and found some very inspiring web pages, Alison's to be excact, she also post on this forum under the name as Posy, she really got me thinking if she could do it why can't I. So I started Feb 11, I lost 16 lbs in about a month got lazy, went up and down, and then started again on Sept 1 and have lost another 16 lbs, and this time I want to stick to more down's than ups, and I too will reach my goal weight.

About 7 yrs ago I lost about 70 lbs, just moved out on my own, was poor and was was looking to find a boyfriend, and was going to the gym quite often, then met df got comfortable and gained about 100 lbs.

So that's me in a nut shell, should be in a nut house.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:34 PM   #15  

Closed Thread