Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Question How Many Calories Really??

So I have been doin pretty good on my journey- lost about 15lbs in the last 5 weeks, very hyped up & motivated to keep going!
But the thing is Im looking up how many calories I should be eating to keep loosing at least 2lbs/wk & Im getting a million different answers!!

My calorie counter on my phone is saying 1800 cals to loose...
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm says 1776
& another website I went to (lost the link) said 1320!! Thats a big difference!!

Im 5'11.5'' & 222lbs & somewhat sedentary at times (In school full time), but I also wog (walk/jog) for 30 min a day & run errands/do things all the time...
I dont know what to think! I suppose I could just try out like 1500 which I know I could do & just see how much I loose a week?...
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I count calories as well, and trying to find the perfect number through a computer program can drive a person crazy. They use formulas and numbers, but can't take into consideration the uniquiness of an individual person. I think what is better than using a computer program to find the perfect number, experiment with your calories and find what number works best for you. Maybe start with the upper limits you listed, between 1800 and 1775, try it for two or three weeks, then tweak if needed. If you don't lose much in those 2-3 weeks, lower it by 100 or so, then try for another 2-3 weeks. It may take a few weeks to settle on a number that you can live with and get the results you want, but it will give you a better idea as to the number that works best for your body/activity level. Also, be prepared to have to go back to the expirimentation every now and then as you lose weight. The number will change as your body changes.

Also, congrats on the first 15lbs. You are obviously doing well at finding a good balance for yourself already.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You sound like you're doing great, so just keep it up. If the weight stalls, you may drop your calories and increase your workouts. I really recommend (not that you asked) some resistance training. Muscle can burn fat even while you're sedentary as it repairs itself. Just a thought. I also agree with WildThings....we're all so unique. I know that if I believed what my phone and online calculators are telling me, I would have already reached my goal by now. It's not that simple. I read something so interesting here but I forgot who wrote it, but they said: as a formerly obese person, I have hormonal differences, fat cells, changes in my body that nobody will see (they've already lost their weight) but that are always there and the usual rules just don't apply.

Anyway, for some people, the rules do apply, but I, for one, can say that they don't apply to me and reading that has made things a lot less frustrating. I used to feel cheated when I would do everything above and beyond what other people would do and achieve a lot fewer results. Now, I know that it's just part of my own equation and I just need to work that much harder, that much longer....but to never give up.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #4  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

Height: 5'6"

I bought a Jillian michales book that had this long equation to use. You use your weight, sex, activity level and whatnot. There were points you gave yourself for your activity level to plug into the equation. Using those variables seemed more accurate to me. So you get this number which is the daily metabolic rate or something, then give yourself a deficit for the amount you want to lose per week.
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #5  

Yea that formula you're talking about, alot of those websites used- took into consideration many factors, but they all had different answers! I appreciate all of your advice... I think for this week Im going to stay between 1500-1600 calories & do my 30 min jog every day & see where that gets me...
Thank you gals!!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

My rule of thumb is that if you can eat more calories and lose at a desirable rate than to do it, because not only can you eat more now but if you need to lower your calories as you get slimmer than theres plenty of room to do so.

Personally at 220 I was eating 1400 and losing about 2 lbs per week, but, I wasn't exercising very much and I have a super messed up metabolism.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #7  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

There's evidence that you expend some of your brain's glucose supply by exercising choice and self-control. Not only that, but once your available fuel is diminished, your ability to exercise self-control gets diminished, too. Dropping your caloric intake too low may result in a slightly faster initial weight loss, but it also makes you vulnerable to succumbing to binges and compensatory overeating.

(I can't link yet as I'm still new here, but if you Google "self-control without a self," you'll see an abstract of the experiment I'm talking about. There was a great article about it in the new Discover magazine, too.)

That's one good reason to start at the higher end and pare down your calories as you lose. 8675309 is right--starting a little higher also gives you plenty of space in which to step down.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughteroftheKing View Post
Yea that formula you're talking about, alot of those websites used- took into consideration many factors, but they all had different answers! I appreciate all of your advice... I think for this week Im going to stay between 1500-1600 calories & do my 30 min jog every day & see where that gets me...
Thank you gals!!
I urge you to do it for longer than a week to see what the results are from your plan. 3-4 weeks is what I would recommend.

Good luck with your goals

ETA: I would also like to point out that no website or person will be able to tell you an exact amount your body needs to lose weight, it is about trial and error. I use the calculator here - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm - as a starting ground only, not as a sure thing that is set in stone.

Last edited by Onederchic; 11-06-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #9  

Thank you all for the good tips!!