Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #1  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Default losing despite the back pain!

hi all - I am a bit new, so hello out there

just wanted to both offer a lil encouragement and also ask for any new ideas..

at 240lbs in 1999 I started having insanely bad back pain that has persisted daily until day. as I am sure anyone with chronic pain or even a short-term injury knows, there is the conundrum of needing to lose weight to improve the pain and not feeling able to work out.

today I am 138 and working to keep losing, despite the back pain.

it has been a daily process of trial and oh so painful error, but if I can do it - just wanted to urge all of you with high pain levels to keep pushing towards solutions that work.

my pain management regime may not be yours, but a few tips that work for me:
- core muscle development, I see a personal trainer who is mindful of my injuries. focusing here has helped alignment, posture, bone density, and really keeps me motivated to focus on my health by being accountable.
- never work out on pain meds. dont want to risk not being able to feel what Im doing and hurting myself further!
- eat smart. some foods just dont work with my body (some dairy makes my muscles hurt, some foods bloat me, etc)
- massage (weekly when pain is bad, bi-weekly or monthly otherwise). doesnt fix root problem of pain, does fix pain cycle of hurting, tensing muscles, straining muscles for always being tensed, more pain, rinse, repeat
- infrared spa. this is my new secret weapon and I hate steam saunas. really impressive new technology

this week I am trying a new pain management therapy, excited. low level laser/phtobio/light cure. is used widely in pro sports and also by vets, im told even during halftime and what not to speed recovery times on sprains and things. helps your body create more ATP and something about cell vibration I dont really understand, heh.

would love to hear other stories of people with chronic pain and what works for them!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI ~ thanks for sharing. I take lots of breaks; and rest a lot. I have to work really hard not to overdo it; but if I do, I rest for the next 3 days ... I am very careful what exercises I do; if I find they bother me too much, I don't do them anymore. I stick to those that seem to help me, but don't aggravate already existing problems.

I was born with Spina bifida so lower back pain is a big issue for me. I find walking with two canes or trekking/ski poles very helpful, esp in the winter. If I am in the country on uneven ground, I use them. I can walk better and longer with their aide. I also find walking in small amounts more often better for me.

I rub baby oil with Vitamin E and Aloe Vera on my knees and legs each night. This is kind of a self-massage which my last doctor suggested. He also suggested me putting my legs up 2-3 times a day, minimum 30-60 minutes at a time (I usually read during this time). I had injuries to my right knee (dislocation) and left calf (fracture). My right knee used to collapse on me all the time, but it is getting better now. I still get the crunchies; and that is a signal to me that I am overdoing it, so I rest.

I spread my activities out over the day and week, like housechores, gardening, laundry, etc. That way I don't over-stress myself and can use them as a kind of exercise too. I do light toning exercises in my bed, upon waking each morning like tummy tucks, butt squeezes, and thigh scissors.

I also lift hand-weights, do chair aerobics for strength and toning; and to increase my metabolism. Walking is my mainstay exercise though. I find ways to avoid repetitive bending; that is the worst for me. My DH does all lifting for me and I keep things at arm level as much as possible, which helps a lot.

I find saunas too hot for me now, so I understand what you mean. Swimming is supposed to be good too; I used to do that, but haven't for a long time. I am focusing on eating healthy, whole foods in moderation at present.

BTW ~ on your WR success; you have done so well, despite your pain challenges ... bravo for you for being such a courageous overcomer!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote