Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220.6/tick/135.0

Height: 5' 5"

Default Feeling blah . . . and fat (new stay at home mom)

So I am not fatter, my clothes still fit, the scale still says 205, but I just feel fat and almost kind of bloated??? It is not TOM so I don't know what this is . . .

I feel like I am not doing well on my plan even though I am doing fine.

I just started being a stay at home mom on Monday so my eating habits have changed - do you think that I am just having trouble adjusting?

At work, I had my little snacks all ready to go and I knew exactly what to order for lunch but now I am more on my own.

Anyone have any tips for this transition??
lindalee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I'm a sahm and have found that it's easiest for me to:

limit the junk in the house. The kids and DH like junk food, but they don't need that much. Every 2 weeks or so I'll get a bag of chips and some ice cream for them. It's always stuff I don't care for so I'm not tempted by it.

plan my eating for the day. SOmetimes the night before, sometimes the morning of. I even plan to the extent that if what I've planned doesn't keep me full, I'll allow myself x, y, or z (usually it involves an apple or some kind of fruit).

Keep busy. If I stay out of the house or busy cleaning or doing activities with my kids and away from the kitchen (aside from pre-determined meal/snack times) I do ok.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220.6/tick/135.0

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for the tips.

I was really organized with my eating plan when I was working, but haven't done that now that I am home. I guess I still need to plan ahead!!
lindalee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Another SAHM here, baby is only 10 weeks, and I used to be a career woman with neatly packed cooler of foods for the day.

I guess the part that is hardest is an easily available fridge 24/7. I write out my meal plan for the day and follow it to a T (except on those rare date nights with DH). It IS hard, I know, but I know that my proper planning before kept me on track and I can't use being at home as an excuse. It's an obstacle, yes, but not an excuse!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #5  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

I work from home, so I face the same problem. I plan my meals and the things that aren't on my plan that are here for DH/DS etc. are strictly "off limits". It's only been a week, but it's working so far. :-)
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm a SAHM, too, so I get it! In some ways, I think it's easier to be home, because when I was working, people were always ordering delicious lunches out and I could never resist! But, now, I just eat my food that I bought here and I'm perfectly happy. AND I'm saving money. lol

But, I do what others said, don't buy things that will tempt you. The only tempting thing I have in the house is ice cream for my DD and DH, but I have WW ice cream bars, so if I get a craving, I have that and there's no guilt!
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

YAY! Congratulations on your new career! Your kids are very lucky! I've been a sahm for 18 years and although most of that time I was obese, I don't know how I would have lost the weight sitting behind a desk.

You have a perfect situation going here. If I were you I'd kind of keep your same routine. Start out by "packing" your lunch/snacks. Put all your food in a section of fridge and only eat what is there. (Just like you did at work.) Also, if it's not in the house, you will not eat it....your kids don't need mounds of junk food either. THis is a perfect time to start setting a healthy eating example for them too. Win/Win.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-26-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #8  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

I WAH, and have had to have DH hide his unsavory snacks in a cupboard above the fridge I can't reach!

I also have Priority mail boxes labeled for the days of the week in the fridge and cupboard (Sun-Tues in one Wed-Fri in another Saturday is unscripted, and usually leftover day) Inside is the ingredients for everything I can eat those days. It helps me to have things ready for me so I don't have to go on the prowl while hungry.
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #9  
In it to win it!!

S/C/G: 312/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

OMG this is so helpful!!! Next week is my last week of work and than I am taking a long vacation. I am also going to be a sahm and am so looking forward to it. I can totally relate when you are at work you eat what you have. Thanks for the tips!
Vivian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/144/120

Height: 5'4"

I too am a SAHM.....my son is five and yes it's hard at first, but well worth the time I get to spend with my baby. I usually end up making my meals separtely only because they don't realy eat what I do. I try to keep my meals as simple as possible. I had to invest in a treadmill this year because I can't really go running outdoors with my son. it just wouldn't work! You just have to work around things until you get a plan that works for your lifestyle!

Cin
cinnycinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #11  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
have had to have DH hide his unsavory snacks in a cupboard above the fridge I can't reach!
Kriket84 -- a very simple solution that should work really well. Why haven't I thought of this??? Especially with the teenager who cannot stop pointing out how he is now not only taller than Mom, but also taller than Dad!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

SAH or WAH is tough with food. It's THERE. And people assume you have all this time to cook and work out all the time. It's crazy the food people will give you. Or maybe just my mom

For me - I did REALLY well when my second son was born. I bought single-serve packs of EVERYTHING. That way, there's no huge looming bag or box....I also turned EVERYTHING into a work out. Laundry was squats time, playing with the baby was time to bench press his chubby self.....if I had 3 things to take upstairs, I took 3 trips....of course, after my kidney removal, I was a bit um....lazy? So yeah - I kept getting new body issues (joints, back, neck, etc) and kept finding excuses NOT to keep in shape. So now I'm starting back where I've NEVER been before - weakest I've ever been. And with an empty house (both kids are now in school).

So just remember to make time for YOU. I've ignored that, and I'm not happy with myself for ignoring ME. SAH is one of the BEST things I've ever done, I'd not trade a second of it. But I wish I hadn't let myself be so lazy the last few years.

Good luck!
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #13  
time to "muck"

S/C/G: 135/135/125

If you are trying to avoid pigging out, being a stay at home mom why don't you try getting in the "what can I do" mindset.
ask yourself if you are eating out of boredom then think about something you could do around the house to keep yourself preoccupied.
It's really hard for me to get adjusted staying home, I used to work at my husbands pawn shop and I worked there 50hours + being around people and constantly doing something to sitting around watching ~mi rey~ sleep can get boring and tempt me to eat more than I should, but than I say "oh I can reorganize the closet" or "why don't I wipe the tv off, I havn't done that since I bought the damn thing!"

plus even though it's not a workout, you are actively doing something, I walked a good 5 miles on my pedometer just doing stuff that you wouldn't think to do, around the house.
requested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #14  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 187/175/150

Height: 5'6

i have to agree on the planning idea it makes me feel much more in control when i prepare and plan ahead.
nicolewoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote