Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Thin life vs. Heavy life

Just to prove that there's always something I just want to post a few things I've noticed in my thin life that are kinda annoying. Of course I'll take any of these over my heavy life any day and most of them are no big deal, but I still find it kind of interesting.

Shaving:
I now have to shave my entire leg, before I never wore anything above my knee and never shaved above my knee...gross I know, I was lazy.

I have to concentrate when I shave my armpits now because the are concave instead of convex.

I have to shave my bikini line always, because you just never know.

Gym:
I have to be careful how I talk to guys at the gym. I don't wear my wedding ring when I workout anymore because it gets scratched and in the way when I'm lifting. It's also getting a little big again and I'm afraid of it slipping off from sweating. Guys often think I'm flirting with them...akward.

Eating out:
I'm the annoying one that always needs to know where we are eating so I can plan ahead. And I'm the one who takes forever to order and makes a zillion substitutions and always needs a doggie bag.

And when did the tables get so far away?

Peeing:
I drink a ton of water and I always have to be aware of my day, meetings, long car rides, etc. to make sure I'll be able to use the restroom.

Coldness:
I have to take a sweater with me EVERYWHERE! And I live somewhere where it's 105+ the entire summer.

Shopping:
I now have to worry about finding too many things I like and spending too much money.

Alcohol:
I'm a total light weight now because I don't drink that often anymore for several reasons. But boy am I a cheap date now.

Again, I'll take this list over the list of things I had to do or deal with when I was heavy any day of the week! But I'd love to hear what little things you all are dealing with now that bug you or you didn't expect.

Last edited by ncuneo; 08-01-2010 at 02:23 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

I have to put pillows on the floor or on chairs when I sit. That doesn't really annoy me. I just have to get used to it.

I can't rest my arm on my hip when I sleep, my hipbone is too sharp and my waist doesn't "stick up" far enough anymore to be a cushion. I got two, large feather pillows and squish them for an armrest. I miss using myself as an armrest, but I sure wouldn't want to put back on the pounds just for that.

Yep, take a sweater everywhere, esp. to the stores.

I don't wear skirts above my knees, so no problem there. Have worn very loosely fitting clothes and layers for years. A woman's body is no one else's business.

I was only a social drinker, and that only occasionally, in my twenties. Alcohol is not a nutrient. I don't know why folks consider it part of a healthy eating plan.

Restaurants are not a big deal: Meat and salad or a green vegetable. That's it, no dressing with who-knows-what in it, no bread, no spuds. Easy peasy on that one. I learned that from elderly ladies. I remember how they'd say, "Pass on the bread, the crackers, potatoes, all the starches, the cream sauces, the desserts and second helpings."

Am very circumspect when around people I don't know very, very well. I dress quite modestly and keep my focus on what I need to do. I learned that living overseas. It keeps unwanted attention away. I learned that if you want to be left alone, just put out those "vibes".

I think it's easier being older, too. One has already become accustomed to adjusting this or that due to discomfort.

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-01-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: corrected unclear phrase
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #3  

I totally understand about the bikini line thing, LOL!!

I feel the same way about shopping. Now it's a problem of spending too much money, instead of looking crappy in everything.

I live in NYC and it's normal to get "comments" from men walking down the street. But they have definitely increased and although it sometimes makes me feel good (depending on who says it), it's also very creepy.

People probably find me annoying because I need to order something "healthy" when we eat out. The other day we ordered lunch at work and an email went out that said, "We have some picky eaters here. Tiffany, where do you want to eat?" LOL. At least they were being accommodating! :-p
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Speaking of shaving, there is a funny thread going back a couple months back about the difficulties posed by a concave armpit. Did you know there is an Approved 3FC Pit Shaving Method? I believe Mandalinn explained the moves very well in a post of hers. I have used the new Method every week since reading about it. (Who knew the many ways in which 3FC could be helpful?)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #5  

Saef, thanks for the chuckle. I often stand in front of the mirror. Yep, those concave armpits are tricky. I'll look for Mandalinn's post.

Editing to add: I've used Mandalinn, armpit, concave, shave, and shaving, in the search function and have not found the post.

Saef, if you have time, could you post her method?

Thanks!

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-02-2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: added question
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I remember that thread - too funny!

And it being the summer and all - it's a daily challenge!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Ncuneo, I hear you on the armpit thing! I thought I was the only crazy person in the world who though she'd lost weight in her armpits! I think it's also worse because weight lifting has been building the arm/shoulder muscles around it. LOL! Yes, Saef, someone, please find that thread, or Mandalinn, can you teach us newbies?

And I hear you on the alcohol. It's great for just having that glass at home or out to dinner, but it gets tricky at parties -- I really have to be careful not to drink too much, because "too much" can happen really quickly now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post
Alcohol is not a nutrient. I don't know why folks consider it part of a healthy eating plan.
Ah, you see, alcohol isn't part of my eating plan, it's part of my mental health plan!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
Ah, you see, alcohol isn't part of my eating plan, it's part of my mental health plan!
I love it!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #9  

Same7, thanks for the chuckle. Yep, we all have our various special "mental health plans".

Could someone post a link to the thread on how to shave concave armpits?

Or give me a few tips for the ultra-concave part next to the tendons?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #10  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

When I was heavy and got rejected by a date, I would say it was because of my weight.

Now, when I get rejected by a date (which happens quite a bit), I know it's not my weight, it's my age, personality, looks, intelligence, etc.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/235/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Just to prove that there's always something I just want to post a few things I've noticed in my thin life that are kinda annoying. Of course I'll take any of these over my heavy life any day and most of them are no big deal, but I still find it kind of interesting.

Shaving:
I now have to shave my entire leg, before I never wore anything above my knee and never shaved above my knee...gross I know, I was lazy.

I have to concentrate when I shave my armpits now because the are concave instead of convex.

I have to shave my bikini line always, because you just never know.

Gym:
I have to be careful how I talk to guys at the gym. I don't wear my wedding ring when I workout anymore because it gets scratched and in the way when I'm lifting. It's also getting a little big again and I'm afraid of it slipping off from sweating. Guys often think I'm flirting with them...akward.

Eating out:
I'm the annoying one that always needs to know where we are eating so I can plan ahead. And I'm the one who takes forever to order and makes a zillion substitutions and always needs a doggie bag.

And when did the tables get so far away?

Peeing:
I drink a ton of water and I always have to be aware of my day, meetings, long car rides, etc. to make sure I'll be able to use the restroom.

Coldness:
I have to take a sweater with me EVERYWHERE! And I live somewhere where it's 105+ the entire summer.

Shopping:
I now have to worry about finding too many things I like and spending too much money.

Alcohol:
I'm a total light weight now because I don't drink that often anymore for several reasons. But boy am I a cheap date now.

Again, I'll take this list over the list of things I had to do or deal with when I was heavy any day of the week! But I'd love to hear what little things you all are dealing with now that bug you or you didn't expect.
I LOVED this; this is so me!!!! Especially the shopping, peeing and eating out!
tlynn1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #12  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivated chickie View Post
When I was heavy and got rejected by a date, I would say it was because of my weight.

Now, when I get rejected by a date (which happens quite a bit), I know it's not my weight, it's my age, personality, looks, intelligence, etc.
I'm with you there girlfriend. Have been using online service since April. Every time I post an updated (thinner) picture, I get less inquiries that I consider age appropriate (For some reason the 30-35 year olds are chatting me up, guess it's the whole "cougar" fascination). This was not at all what I was expecting and as I haven't actually chatted with these guys who are passing me by I have no idea what they're rejecting, but it's definitely not what I was expecting.

Last edited by caryesings; 08-04-2010 at 01:26 PM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

FINALLY ... I found the old thread in which we discussed the perils of shaving newly concave armpits.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ight-loss.html

Mandalinn included a helpful graphic to demonstrate her technique:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3144884-post26.html

Last edited by saef; 08-07-2010 at 08:47 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #14  

Saef, thank you very much! That gives me a few more ideas to try out.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #15  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Silverlife, in addition to shaving in the position suggested, my DD gave me some little disposible razors that really "get in the pit" if you know what I mean. I was regularly missing a 1 inch patch (even with the position) and couldn't get it without cutting myself. I think the razors are truly meant for bikini lines but they work great for that hard to reach area too.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote