Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Half Marathon~ unrealistic?

I am currently working on the C25K (early stages) and I am interested in doing the Seattle Half Marathon. It's in late November so that is about 18 weeks from now. I am 5'4'' and 178lbs. I have around 35-40lbs to lose yet.

I looked at the 12 week training plan here: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm It states that you should be comfortable with 3 mile runs a couple times a week when you begin the program.

So my question is...

With this time frame and my current level of running, is it really possible for me to achieve this goal in that amount of time? I hate to get my hopes up when the situation is just not realistic. I don't want to kill myself in the process while trying to get to that level so quickly.

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by Kristi78; 07-28-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'7

All limitations are self imposed. With that said, "Of course you can do it" There is a great book for this called "The Non Runner's Marathon Trainer" by David Whisett. It has a 16 week training program but more importantly it really focused on the mindset needed for endurance. It also helps to have a deadline when you are training, it keeps me from slacking off. Good luck!
LYNNEGAL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #3  

Thanks, Lynnegal22! I will look that book up! Very true, our bodies adapt and take cue from our minds. I think doing this half marathon would be such an amazing experience and keep my weight loss going too
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I'm training for my first half marathon and I'm using that training schedule, but I modified it a little because I wanted to start trai g now and my race isn't until November also. I also didn't like that that schedule stopped the long runs at 10 miles, seemed like kinda a drastic jump.

I think the important thing to remember is that you don't have to run all 13 miles you can do whatever you're comfortable with. So if you run sone of it and walk some of it, that's ok to. Just that you're challenging yourself is awesome.

I would caution you since you are a beginner to research a little on over training and overuse injuries. A lot of times we think more is better, but when training for a marathon it's important to take your rest days and not run more than you're scheduled to run. I have to stop and remind myself that it's important to only run the scheduled 2 miles even though I want to run more. My second word of caution is that since you're still trying to lose to be sure to listen to you're body and make sure you're eating enough especially once the milage starts to pick up. You're burning approximately 100 cals per mile run, so keep that in mind when you get to those 5+ mile runs.

I think you can do anything you feel you're capable of and you will surprise yourself. If you'd told me a few months ago I'd be able to run 5 miles without stopping I'd have laughed at you and if you'd told me I'd me training for a half I'd had told you you were crazy. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #5  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to check out that book, I would like to take up running again, but I'm guessing maybe the mindset could help in other areas.
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What's the minimum pace? 15 min mile?

I did the Disney half a few years ago as a charity walker. I did the Jeff Galloway schedule and though I didn't win anything but a completion medal, I felt pretty good about taking that kind of challenge --- both the fundraising and the fitness.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I think the important thing to remember is that you don't have to run all 13 miles you can do whatever you're comfortable with. So if you run sone of it and walk some of it, that's ok to. Just that you're challenging yourself is awesome.
Good point! I have heard some people say that doing a walk/run interval is more difficult that just running, but I think it might make more sense in my case. If I was not so overweight I could probably just run. I am more interested in just making the finishing line!

Quote:
What's the minimum pace? 15 min mile?
The website says "seven-hour Marathon Walk finish and a six-hour Marathon Run finish. This allows for a 25 min/mile pace for walkers and an 18 min/mile pace for runners." I assume this is a generous amount of time??
Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Runnersworld.com has a tool that can help you create a training plan, longest training plan they have is 16 weeks. I put in my info and it created a training plan for running a half marathon. You might want to look at that as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi78 View Post
Good point! I have heard some people say that doing a walk/run interval is more difficult that just running, but I think it might make more sense in my case. If I was not so overweight I could probably just run. I am more interested in just making the finishing line!
I started running when I was 220 lbs. I can attest to the fact that it is "easier" to maintain a slower running pace than a start/ stop. Which is good to know when you want to ratchet up your workout but not so much when you are trying to finish a half marathon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi78 View Post
The website says "seven-hour Marathon Walk finish and a six-hour Marathon Run finish. This allows for a 25 min/mile pace for walkers and an 18 min/mile pace for runners." I assume this is a generous amount of time??
This is a good amount. I consider myself to be right in the middle betwen elite runners and the beginning runners and I run a 10- 11 minute mile. 18 minutes would be a really slow jog and 25 minutes for walking, well if you are walking at a good clip, you can do 15 to 17 min miles, no problem. Map out a couple of miles on mapmywalk dot com and time yourself to see your "starting point." You can do this!!!!!

Last edited by LYNNEGAL22; 07-29-2010 at 11:59 AM.
LYNNEGAL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
25 min per mile is 2.4 miles per hour. Very kind!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-29-2010 at 12:10 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #11  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I'm in the same boat. Goal of a half in January. It has a 4 hour time limit so I figure worst case I can walk half run half, alternating of course. I'm hoping to run the whole thing but if I have to walk a little I still think its a pretty huge accomplishment.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #12  

I found a great book last night called Marathoning for Mortals (http://www.amazon.com/Marathoning-Mo...0423097&sr=1-1) I also bought the Running for Mortals too, looks good.

I think I will begin the process of training and see how it goes. If I find that the training schedule is too difficult or demanding, then I will heed my body's warnings. On the flip side, my body might do just fine and I might fall in love with the challenge This is what I'm hoping for...

Never know until you try!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #13  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Good for you!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #14  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html kristi, in 2004 i did the new orleans marathon...it was part of the aids marathon training program...i did a full lmarathon...we used the jeff galloway method, which includes walk breaks....i was 44 at the time and weighed over 200 lbs...YOU can definitely do it!!!! good luck!!!!
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #15  

Thanks David! It's so awesome hearing from others that have done this. I think my mind still has not adjusted to the weight I already lost. I'm still SO fat in my head! Even though I am only working on the C25K right now, the prospect of doing a half marathon is so exciting and motivating.