Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Question Diet changes with the seasons

Hi everyone!
I have a question for all of you: do your menus change according to the seasons? I know mine change drastically.

In the Summer, especially this summer since its been so freakin HOT here, we do a lot of grilled chicken, grilled eggplant, squash and zucchini, watermelon (i just ate some yellow meat watermelon and my goodness it was so good and juicy), peaches (especially Elbertas), blackberries, blueberries, etc. I also love to buy fresh produce in bulk and freeze them. I have found that mixed grilled vegetables freeze and keep great if you cool them completely, wrap in parchment paper and then place in a freezer container or bag. Just allow them to thaw in the fridge for a couple hours and either microwave or toss in a sauce pan to heat. I used to eat salads every single day for lunch, but I just got so sick of them. Thank God for steamed veggies!

In the Fall, we do bunches of stews and chili. I do a pork loin and root vegetable bake that I turn into stew for leftovers. It has parsnips, sweet potatoes, fennel, carrots, celery and even a rutabaga sometimes. They roast slowly with rosemary, garlic and shallot. Even DH, who hates veggies, loves it.
Winter is more stews and chili and beef roasts. Spring goes heavier towards grilled items, but it seems that I eat chicken the majority of the Spring and Summer.

I have started saving my meal plans from the different months and organize them by season. This has helped me to get back on track. Now if the weather would just let up so I can exercise outside and swim without the pool feeling like bathwater!!!
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yes! And they should change with the season. That way you know you are eating more local foods that are grown as close to normal as possible. I even cut back on eggs in the winter because the chicken I buy them from just don't lay when the days are darker. I know that spring is coming when the eggs return!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #3  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I am actually concerned about this. I love summer fruits and corn on the cob. I am worried about having less food choices - and affordable food choices- when fall and winter rolls around.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMary2 View Post
I am actually concerned about this. I love summer fruits and corn on the cob. I am worried about having less food choices - and affordable food choices- when fall and winter rolls around.
Corn on the cob freezes great if you blanch it. Just toss shucked and silked ears into a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes, then shock in ice water. Put in freezer bags or a vacuum seal bag, and it will keep for at least 4 mos in the freezer. I also freeze fresh fruits and veggies in bags and use them in recipes and smoothies. I don't usually blanch the fruits, but do blanch the veggies. Squash, eggplant and zucchini are my faves and they freeze great.
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote