PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Height: 5'6

Default Carbohydrates and heartburn

I just thought I would share something that I have found interesting and wanted to see if others have experienced the same thing. I have been following a lower carbohydrate diet due to my insulin resistance. I have noticed that on the days that I do eat excess carbohydrates that I get heartburn. At first I did not think anything of it, but I have had several such episodes and have definitely eaten high carbohydrate meals each time. I just googled "carbohydrates and heartburn" to see if there was anything supporting this, and was surprised to find that there is indeed a link between carbs & heartburn.

Anyway, I just thought I would see if any of you have also observed this effect personally.

Also, if you do eat excess carbs and end up having heartburn....is there anything you can eat to balance it out? I have tried eating a protein food (like cheese or yogurt) and it seems to help. I know tums/antacids are an option, but wasn't sure if there was something that could be eaten to eaten.
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/201/135

Hi my name is Laurie and I'm new to 3FC...Like you I follow a low carb plan and I did notice I experienced less heartburn since changing my eating habits. I haven't had a problem with it at all since giving up artificial sweeteners too. I don't really know of a particular food you can eat to help relieve heartburn. I always took an antacid.
Sparklingmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

A couple of posters in our primal thread have mentioned this too!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I used to have horrid heartburn every night for many many years. Popped prylosec (sic?) constantly. I gave up anything processed when I started SBD 3 years ago. Discovered it was processed white flour that was doing it. When I stopped the white flour, the heartburn went away instantly and has never returned. Same with my husband. I eat only whole grains and no problem at all, so it's not really "carbs" per se, it's processed stuff. Lots' of chemicals and junk are added during the processing of flour like chlorine gas.
Read this and you can understand why your "insides burn".

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote